Solar-powered tuk tuk unveiled

waza

Solar-powered tuk tuk unveiled, September 17, 2013

tuk-tuk_729-620x349.jpg

Australian company Star 8's solar-powered tuk tuk.

The iconic Thailand taxi, the tuk tuk, is set to get a high-tech makeover.

Australian company Star 8 has developed a solar-powered electric tuk tuk - known as SolarTuk - which is being touted as a major step forward for ecological transport in developing nations. Star 8 managing director Jacob Maimon came up with the idea of an electric tuk tuk following a trip to Vietnam.

“I had taken a ride in a conventional tuk tuk and when I got out I saw the driver putting only a small amount of petrol into the tank,” Maimon says. “I asked him why he didn’t fill it up and he said the cost of fuel was prohibitive and he could barely cover his daily expenses with the amount of work he picked up.

“It was then that I envisaged a solar-driven tuk tuk … which cost next to nothing to run.”

Star 8 says the tuk tuks will cost between $2000 and $3000. The integral part of the design is its flexible roof, which houses an array of mono-crystalline solar collectors to generate power for the vehicle.

The power is sent to two batteries - one for running the electric motor, and another for storage. The batteries can be used to power the tuk tuk, or as a generator for the family home, which Maimon says is almost as important as the vehicle’s green credentials.

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/solarpowered-tuk-tuk-unveiled-20130917-2twr5.html

Edited by waza