Svenskarna In Hua Hin

Limbo

It's almost twenty years ago that I was in Hua Hin for the last time.

After arriving from Holland I always immediatly went to Hua Hin to acclimatize before I went on to Koh Samui. And on the way back I had a stop there again.

There were several Swedes living in Hua Hin at that time. They were the biggest group within the farang community, I suppose about seven in total. Everyone of them would have been worth to write a book about. Great guys.

As I lived in Sweden a long time I naturally became member of their 'gang'.

Janne from Hälsingborg, Lasse from Hudiksvall and all the others whose name I will remember to-morrow morning.

We all stayed in an old wooden hotel at the main road which crossed town, run by an extremely male lesbian and an extremely female katoey.

Did we enjoy ourselves? You bet!

Is there still a Swedish community in Hua Hin and if so, where is their hang-out?

Some oldtimers left as well?

Limbo :o

Vell, Limbo, I don't know, but there are many more than seven Svens and more than a few Ingas here during high season. Vell, maybe they're Germans or Norwegians, but there are hundreds here in Dec-January. I think there is a permanent colony of Swedes here year-round, as well. Twenty years is a long time, and you won't recognize the place, but it's a great place to live or just visit.

I know it's a long long way to Tipperary - oops, I mean to Hua Hin - from Chiang Rai (I moved from Chiang Mai last year), but even in low season, you may find taxi drivers who can say "Howdy" in Swedish. At least Vichai, my regular driver, can.

C'mon down.