Special Report: Thailand secretly supplies Myanmar refugees to trafficking rings

webfact

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and Thailand is demanding it be removed from the human trafficking list.

..and be included in the security council...so they can regulate themselves...and get top marks....

...come to think of it....that is the m.o. of this present government.......

ver the history of the Rohingya persecution in Myanmar, we have the RT Navy involved, hauling them back out to sea.

We have Immigration involved.

The second highest policeman in the country admits to " Presented with the findings of this report, Thailand's second-highest-ranking policeman made some startling admissions. Thai officials might have profited from Rohingya smuggling in the past, said Police Maj-Gen Chatchawal Suksomjit, Deputy Commissioner General of the Royal Thai Police. He also confirmed the existence of illegal camps in southern Thailand, which he called "holding bays".

and the DSI chief knows but does not invrestigate,

..and be included in the security council...so they can regulate themselves...and get top marks....

Well China is also a member of the Security Council. It has some form of border disputes with 20+ countries. They have to make some exceptions for Asia because none of these countries respects human rights that are taken for granted in western countries. There is brutality right in the open here. I don't know if that's simply a result of the vast numbers of people that have lived here for thousands of years, or what. Also I think they're just more open about it here, the same goes on in our post-feudal west but is more low key.

"You have deliberately (?) ignored that the Rohingya had their citizenship revoked in 1982 by the Burmese government so are all Stateless that makes any potential opportunity for resettlement/migration nearly impossible."

Yes, they were illegal, non-assimilating immigrants. Talk to Burmese people about it. If they didn't stand up and make a move, their country would be taken over by such people. I recall what a friend retired from the Indian Army had to say about Calcutta: there is a virtually unlimited number of people there [well, considering the small number necessary to wreak havoc] willing to blow themselves up or otherwise carry out holy war against the infidels (and henceforth meet Allah in Paradise). Same in Bangladesh. Buddhists aren't "People of the Book", (and even People of the Book can get rough treatment) and are looked on as a stain on the planet. Somewhat similar in S Thailand.

Edited by squarethecircle

Human trafficking, bonded labor, forced labor - these situations happen all over the world. It just a matter of degree. Sad and sickening. There was a situation in Hawaii several years ago involving over twenty Thais who were tricked into working on a farm for slave wages after paying their 'brokers' over US$20,000.00 for their 'dream' job in the US. Unfortunately, there was no justice for these workers because of a major blunder by the US Federal prosecutor.

I do volunteer work with the Burmese migrant worker community. Some of the stories I hear turns my stomach. There are a lot of vulnerable people in this part of the world -- and the brokers and traffickers know it. It reminds me of reading a recent story about JFK. During the Cuban missile crisis, many of the US military brass were calling for a preemptive nuclear strike on the then USSR. After JFK met with the Joint Chief of Staffs and listened to their rationale for blowing up Russia, he turned to an aid and said, "And they call us the human race."

Edited by pookiki
  • Like 1

Having read the full article, this has sickened me. Whether I am 'not surpised' or whatever else, the depth of the corruption and depravity involved in this human trafficking scam has knocked the wind out of me. Difficult to look at this as the 'Land of Smiles' ever again, when Government Officials who have sworn an Oath of allegiance to this country and it's Monarchy are actually 'selling people' for their own personal profit and gain. I wonder how many children today would be proud of their 'Fathers' on Fathers day if the knew that Dad had bought the new Mercedes by selling desperate Human Beings. Utterly shocking, despicable, sickening and whatever other words I can't quite think of now.angry.gif

• Like 2

Well China is also a member of the Security Council. It has some form of border disputes with 20+ countries. They have to make some exceptions for Asia because none of these countries respects human rights that are taken for granted in western countries. There is brutality right in the open here. I don't know if that's simply a result of the vast numbers of people that have lived here for thousands of years, or what. Also I think they're just more open about it here, the same goes on in our post-feudal west but is more low key.

"You have deliberately (?) ignored that the Rohingya had their citizenship revoked in 1982 by the Burmese government so are all Stateless that makes any potential opportunity for resettlement/migration nearly impossible."

Yes, they were illegal, non-assimilating immigrants. Talk to Burmese people about it. If they didn't stand up and make a move, their country would be taken over by such people. I recall what a friend retired from the Indian Army had to say about Calcutta: there is a virtually unlimited number of people there [well, considering the small number necessary to wreak havoc] willing to blow themselves up or otherwise carry out holy war against the infidels (and henceforth meet Allah in Paradise). Same in Bangladesh. Buddhists aren't "People of the Book", (and even People of the Book can get rough treatment) and are looked on as a stain on the planet. Somewhat similar in S Thailand.

The Rohinya have been settled in Burma for generations, some are ethic to Burma, others as you say orginated from Bangladesh as migrant workers for the British. Many have been political footballs between Bangladesh & Burma, at different time forced in Bangladesh, at other times relocated back into Burma. In 1959 they were granted equal rights by the then Burmese PM, when the military came to power in 1962 and they were systematically oppressed. I have read there are still some 200k+ plus still stuck in refugee camps in Bangladesh where they have just about zero protection and support from UNHCR; UNHCR is mainly disallowed from operating in the camps

To be frank, I am somewhat surprised given the history of abuse, there are relatively few attacks/killings caused by the Rohinya in Burma

Edited by simple1

The Rohinya have been settled in Burma for generations, some are ethic to Burma, others as you say orginated from Bangladesh as migrant workers for the British. Many have been political footballs between Bangladesh & Burma, at different time forced in Bangladesh, at other times relocated back into Burma. In 1959 they were granted equal rights by the then Burmese PM, when the military came to power in 1962 and they were systematically oppressed. I have read there are still some 200k+ plus still stuck in refugee camps in Bangladesh where they have just about zero protection and support from UNHCR; UNHCR is mainly disallowed from operating in the camps

To be frank, I am somewhat surprised given the history of abuse, there are relatively few attacks/killings caused by the Rohinya in Burma

Please read a report titled 'Slow Burning Genocide' written by a small NGO called Altsean-Burma around 2007. The level of oppression against the Rohingya is difficult to fathom. There are a few in my neighborhood that sell roti but they try to keep to themselves and try to be as inconspicuous as possible.

The Burmese make them stateless and abuse or kill them if they remain in Burma where they have been for years.

SITTWE: At least 112 people have been killed and thousands of homes torched in Buddhist-Muslim violence in western Myanmar, casting a shadow over the reformist government’s attempts to remake the country’s international image.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/457164/at-least-56-dead-as-communal-violence-hits-myanmar/

Do you think if one wanted to stop the problem that the starting place is Thailand?

Do you think if one wanted to stop the problem that the starting place is Thailand?

I think the problem of Human Trafficking in Thailand, by Thai immigration officials, with the knowledge of Top cops and the head of the DSI is a Thai problem. We will never likely see a report on how many have died here. I think that Thailand moving to the lowest rankings on the human trafficking chart is a Thai problem as well.

Don't you?

I think the problem of Human Trafficking in Thailand, by Thai immigration officials, with the knowledge of Top cops and the head of the DSI is a Thai problem. We will never likely see a report on how many have died here. I think that Thailand moving to the lowest rankings on the human trafficking chart is a Thai problem as well.

Don't you?

No I think the Burmese having hosted these people for a hundred years or so should be responsible for them. I think the Thai government has a responsibility to return them to whence they came or to Australia.

Not to excuse the scum behind these networks, but as far as human rights in Asia goes Thailand is near the top. Burma, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, all have very awful histories.

Also, clearly no one wants these Rohingyas - not Bangladesh where they came from, of course they're not welcome in Myanmar, not even their Muslim brothers down in Malaysia and Indonesia. Some people see a gigantic human rights crisis. I see Thais "cleverly" taking advantage of the situation. What do you expect them to do:

(1) Rohingyas are booted out from Myanmar since they were colonizing the western parts of country. Time Magazine runs a special on "Buddhist Terrorism" (but ignores Myanmar's claims that they are simply defending their nation, culture, and religion from outside colonizing).

(2) Rohingyas flee to Thailand. Border police face a threat of epic proportions.

(3) Well-established, immensely powerful trafficking networks, likely with high-level contact in both Bangkok and Yangon, already have the means to deal with large number of refugees. The illegal immigrants are sold to them. Problem solved.

Seems brutal, but what do you expect them to do? Keep the illegal immigrants locked up, clothed, and fed (well except not during the daylight hours during Ramadan, d'oh)? Surrender and open up Thailand to illegal immigration (and foreign colonization)?

Yes, I suppose slavery was the only answer to the problem

Apparently someone wants them, if they are willing to pay for them.

This is absolutely pathetic. It's not just the trafficking that is sad, but it is the blackmail and the implicit knowledge and help from the gov't and those who should be charged with protecting them.

Very sad. Very, very sad.

• Like 1

I am sickened by reading this report, angry, hateful and pissed off that the Immigration <deleted>, think these people are lower than the dogs they periodically save from being sent to Vietnam/china. good buddists are sparse in thailand. I for one will be shooting through soon and to hell with the land of crocodiles.

I am sickened by reading this report, angry, hateful and pissed off that the Immigration <deleted>, think these people are lower than the dogs they periodically save from being sent to Vietnam/china. good buddists are sparse in thailand. I for one will be shooting through soon and to hell with the land of crocodiles.

I sure can understand that. Has your country offered to take any Royhingas?

Don't you?

No I think the Burmese having hosted these people for a hundred years or so should be responsible for them. I think the Thai government has a responsibility to return them to whence they came or to Australia.

Wow!

1)You do no think government officials involved in human trafficking is a problem that concerns that government.

2)You do not think that dropping to the lowest rung on the human trafficking chart is a problem for a government.

You do, somehow think that Australia is involved.

go back under the bridge

• Like 1

Before a country can offer to take any Rohingyas, they need to be eligible for resettlement. Since they don't have citizenship, they can't get the necessary papers to actually apply for resettlement anywhere. The Rohingya are currently excluded from the resettlement programs for Burmese of other ethnic minorities from the Thailand-Burma border camps. There only hope is to be resettled as a refugee, but first they have to be screened as a refugee, usually by the UNHCR, but Thailand doesn't permit that either.

Wow!

1)You do no think government officials involved in human trafficking is a problem that concerns that government.

2)You do not think that dropping to the lowest rung on the human trafficking chart is a problem for a government.

go back under the bridge

Me under the bridge. You give me a good reason Thailand should take them over Australia? 1. Australia has more room. 2. Australia has more Muslims. 3. Australia is a Christian country and is supposed to be charitable. 4. Australia took a lot of Vietnamese so distance can't be much of a problem. 5. Australia has over 70,000 people from Indonesia living there now.

I told you my case for Australia now you tell me why Thailand should take them?

Edited by thailiketoo

Don't you?

You appear to be an intelligent person, but do come across in some of your posts as trying to be 'clever'.

Australia does host some Rohingya refugees, but as you well know it is extremely difficult for Rohingya to leave Myanmar to gain asylum/refugee status as they are Stateless.

Whilst Thailand is not a signatory to the UN Convention for Refugees, it is for UN Transnational Organised Crime, that includes Human Trafficking, in addition the Thai 2008 Anti-Trafficking in Persons Act. Accordingly Thailand does have responsibility and ownership for humane treatment and not return them to a country that has ethnic cleansing and many other repressive policies in-place.

Also about time for the Thai government to address the stateless status for many of the Northern Thai Hill Tribes

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

Forget the rice pledging scam, the tablets, the 2.2 trillion and the endemic corruption that spreads like a cancerous plague across this nation, suffocating all the new life blood in it. The ONE thing that should bring the PM and her Government down is thia international scandal. Yingluck should be up in front of the International Court for Human rights for gross violation of Human Rights on her watch by her Government officials. Forget Burma, this human tragedy and crime is happening here in Thailand and what Burma should or should not be doing is irrelevant. This is the Thai Government officials being involved in the running of a modern day concentration camp, gulag call it what you will where the only way out for those sold in to slavery is either in a wooden box (i doubt they are even given that, just thrown in a hole in the ground) or relatives having to send the equivalent of two - four years salary to get them out. Yingluck should be doing serious time for this and meanwhile Tarit admits it but says it is not being investigated- nope better to have men checking if Abhisit paid his parliamentary dues by cheque or internet banking!!!!!

• Like 1

Wow!

go back under the bridge

Me under the bridge. You give me a good reason Thailand should take them over Australia? 1. Australia has more room. 2. Australia has more Muslims. 3. Australia is a Christian country and is supposed to be charitable. 4. Australia took a lot of Vietnamese so distance can't be much of a problem. 5. Australia has over 70,000 people from Indonesia living there now.

What about: ...because it is the right thing to do?!

Australia is a christian country and is supposed to be charitable?

You have said some pretty stup...not so really overly intelligent things today...but this one...wow!

They are in Thailand and being sold as slaves by Thai immigration. This directly affects Thailand's status on the human trafficking chart.

BTW even though Australia is not part of the equation. You are wrong there (yet again) Thailand has far more Muslims than does Australia. (476k in Australia and approx 10X that many in Thailand.) (Australia is a secular country -- has no state religion, so yet another fact* that you got wrong -- I am trying to avoid using the word "lie")

I am sure the rest of your facts* are just as accurate.

Australia isn't part of the equation. Australia WOULD be part of the equation if the refugees were on Australian soil.

Edit, this is not about Thailand's refugee status programs or lack thereof. This IS about human trafficking which you say you do not have a problem with.

Edited by jdinasia

Bravo! Gentleman Jim. Anybody remember the 1973 movie Soylent Green? The "big revelation" to everybody: Soylent Green is people! Well, to many here I would like to say "The Rohinga is people too". Men, women, kids. We have to think about them as people not as "a problem". I'm with the writers here who point out that Thailand is a Buddhist country and is doing the unspeakable to all these people. I'm totally non-religious, but I cannot believe that a Christian country would treat people like this today. It beggers belief.

I hope none of my friends at home see this because I try to present Thailand in a good light, stressing it's good side but this is simply indefensible.

I actually feel ashamed and embarrassed for my adopted country. I just hope this government and especially Yingluck and Tarit do too.

• Like 2

Not to excuse the scum behind these networks, but as far as human rights in Asia goes Thailand is near the top. Burma, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, all have very awful histories.

Also, clearly no one wants these Rohingyas - not Bangladesh where they came from, of course they're not welcome in Myanmar, not even their Muslim brothers down in Malaysia and Indonesia. Some people see a gigantic human rights crisis. I see Thais "cleverly" taking advantage of the situation. What do you expect them to do:

(1) Rohingyas are booted out from Myanmar since they were colonizing the western parts of country. Time Magazine runs a special on "Buddhist Terrorism" (but ignores Myanmar's claims that they are simply defending their nation, culture, and religion from outside colonizing).

(2) Rohingyas flee to Thailand. Border police face a threat of epic proportions.

(3) Well-established, immensely powerful trafficking networks, likely with high-level contact in both Bangkok and Yangon, already have the means to deal with large number of refugees. The illegal immigrants are sold to them. Problem solved.

Seems brutal, but what do you expect them to do? Keep the illegal immigrants locked up, clothed, and fed (well except not during the daylight hours during Ramadan, d'oh)? Surrender and open up Thailand to illegal immigration (and foreign colonization)?

And where is the muslim world ?Bangladesh ,Saudi Arabia etc etc ...And why they do not take their co religionists under their wings instead of letting them be sent where they are not wanted ,

The Buddhist world does not want more muslim troublemakers than they already have in their midst .

There must be a good reason why Myanmar does not want them either ...

Wow!

go back under the bridge

What about: ...because it is the right thing to do?!

Australia is a christian country and is supposed to be charitable?

You have said some pretty stup...not so really overly intelligent things today...but this one...wow!

I disagree ..Everyone knows that if you take muslims in your country ,you'r in for problems you do not need ,have muslim countries absorb them ,that is the right thing to do ...