Special Report: Thailand secretly supplies Myanmar refugees to trafficking rings

webfact

http://www.voanews.com/content/thailand-selling-rohingya-to-human-traffickers-report/1804017.html

More on the topic from the Voice of America

Thailand has come under criticism in the past for its policy toward Rohingya. Many have been deported or turned away at sea. Others are in government detention centers described as overcrowded and inhumane.

The refugees are fleeing violence in Burma's western Rakhine, or Arakan, state, where sectarian violence has killed at least 240 people and displaced 140,000 others, mainly Rohingya, in recent months.

In addition to the violence, Rohingya are denied citizenship and other basic rights in Burma, where they are considered immigrants from Bangladesh. The United Nations considers them one of the world's most persecuted minority groups.
She says her organization has talked to many refugees at the camps who were beaten in an attempt to extort about $2,000 from family members.

"They are given a mobile phone to call relatives in Myanmar, in Malaysia, wherever, to collect this money. And when they are making that call, they are beaten up so they will scream and cry so the relatives will feel the urge to collect the money as soon as possible."

Lewa says it is not clear what happens to those whose families cannot afford the ransom.
Edited by jdinasia

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm dunno. Russia?

The issue isn't how to deal with people from this region (the answer is obvious that Myanmar should stop persecuting ethnic minorities and allow them to stay where they are ...) The issue isn't the religion of these refugees, Thailand has many Muslim people and the religion is protected here.

The issue at hand is the beating, killing, ransoming, and human trafficking of these people by Thai officials.

That is why the topic is

Special Report: Thailand secretly supplies Myanmar refugees to trafficking rings
  • Like 1

Lots of stateless people. Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. Who gets nominated as the sucker country whose citizens have to support all the stateless people with their taxes?

My solution is to put them to work in an area where they would not destroy the security of the country. Unless you want a welfare state they have to work. What country has a lot of room and not too many people and areas where whole populations could be isolated from the rest of the population. Thailand is 96% Buddhist not a real good choice for other cultures. What other countries have a mixed population and the necessary raw materials?

Ummm dunno. Russia?

Or China?

How many countries allow free access for stateless people from other countries?

Lets make it personal. Instead of a country lets say it is your backyard. How many people are you going to let live in your backyard? I would feel very sorry for the people but the reality of the situation is they are not going to live in my backyard.

You can criticize Thailand all you want but how would you feel if they showed up at your house and started camping out there.

Lots of stateless people. Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. Who gets nominated as the sucker country whose citizens have to support all the stateless people with their taxes?

My solution is to put them to work in an area where they would not destroy the security of the country. Unless you want a welfare state they have to work. What country has a lot of room and not too many people and areas where whole populations could be isolated from the rest of the population. Thailand is 96% Buddhist not a real good choice for other cultures. What other countries have a mixed population and the necessary raw materials?

Ummm dunno. Russia?

Or China?

Lets make it personal. Instead of a country lets say it is your backyard. How many people are you going to let live in your backyard? I would feel very sorry for the people but the reality of the situation is they are not going to live in my backyard.

You can criticize Thailand all you want but how would you feel if they showed up at your house and started camping out there.

Unfortunately for you and the drivel you are writing, the subject of the OP is not "How many people should Thailand take in?" nor is it "How many refugees do I want to have in my backyard?"

It is though: "Thailand secretly supplies Myanmar refugees to trafficking rings"

Following your logic -and I use this term very carefully- it means if I have them in my backyard, it is up to me and fine with you, if I sell these people into slavery!

Please don't bother answering!

Please, I beg you, don't bother!

• Like 1

Or China?

Unfortunately for you and the drivel you are writing, the subject of the OP is not "How many people should Thailand take in?" nor is it "How many refugees do I want to have in my backyard?"

It is though: "Thailand secretly supplies Myanmar refugees to trafficking rings"

Following your logic -and I use this term very carefully- it means if I have them in my backyard, it is up to me and fine with you, if I sell these people into slavery!

Why would you post to me if you didn't want an answer?

Discussion of what to do with the Royhinga refugees is off topic?

Discussion of how to end the Royhinga refugee problem is off topic?

Oh. coffee1.gif

Or China?

Why would you post to me if you didn't want an answer?

Discussion of what to do with the Royhinga refugees is off topic?

Discussion of how to end the Royhinga refugee problem is off topic?

Oh. coffee1.gif

As repeatedly bought to your attention the topic is abuse by some Thais of Rohingya asylum seekers/refugees, not the general issue of Rohingya refugees and their status in Thailand or elsewhere. Perhaps the mods will respond, but if this matter of the Rohingya refugees is of interest to you, why not post a new topic; it been previously 'debated' on numerous ocassions, the majority of posts being generalised bashing/hatred of all Muslims.

I disagree ..Everyone knows that if you take muslims in your country ,you'r in for problems you do not need ,have muslim countries absorb them ,that is the right thing to do ...

Please change that to "Every bigot knows" since it is simply not what every other person knows.

Ok Mr Politically correct ,bigot or not ,simply ask and talk to the native French ,British ,Belgians,Dutch,Swedes,Germans,Swiss population ,ask the Philipinos,and all the countries whose culture has already been destroyed and invaded by islamic immigration throughout history ,like India ,Syria ,Lebanon,Egypt try spending a little time in Pakistan , and do not miss living there for a while in the middle of the new populations ,ask the Copts in Egypt and what is being done to them ,then please report back to tell what you found out.

It is one thing to speak from some ivory tower ,well insulated from the effects of massive influx of incompatible new comers,ask the regular local folks what they think .

Some people never learn from history ,and some like the Burmese do resist forced immigration and conquest by alien cultures.

I cannot comprehend why westerners are so ready and eager to hand out their countries lock stock and barrel to the first comers ,

As unpopular as I may be with the politically correct crowd ,I think the Burmese are right to beware of the unchecked growth of islam in their country ,and I suspect infiltration of unwanted fundamentalist elements from neighbouring Bangladesh ,there are more than 56 muslim countries in the world , many are filthy rich and why can't they take their "brothers" in and help them ?

well the Thai's are not bigots. They have done similar things with Vietnamese, Cambodians, Burmese and Lao. They don't discriminate against Muslims.

It's a good thing that as Buddhists, Thais are familiar with Karma. At least when it's payback time, they will know why it's happening. Until then, just blame it on the farang.

Agreed,

Tough for so many to be in this position in Thailand, it has been going on for years..... We understand it, but guess the leaders don't? I miss Thailand, but not how it has changed... Pretty much the pint, is a pound, the world round..... Let us hope for the best, but from my history in this land, I don't see it happening soon......... Let us get rid of "CAREER POLITICIANS," just a thought, and this is why the world goes, "round and round..." Abra-Kadabra...

Whoosh..... Have a very Merry Christmas, where ever you are.......

kilosierra giggle.gifwai2.gifwai.gif

Breaking .....

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/12/06/uk-thailand-rohingya-reaction-idUKBRE9B50FA20131206

(Reuters) - The United Nations called on Friday for an urgent investigation into allegations in a Reuters report that Thai immigration officials moved Myanmar refugees into human trafficking rings.

The report, published on Thursday and based on a two-month investigation in three countries, revealed a clandestine policy to remove Rohingya refugees from Thailand's immigration detention centres and deliver them to human traffickers waiting at sea. ...

HRW SEEKS EXPLANATION

A senior official at New York-based Human Rights Watch criticised Thailand for moving detainees into established smuggling and trafficking rings and warned Thailand could face a possible downgrade in a U.S. list of the world's worst offenders in fighting human trafficking.

Such a downgrade would place Thailand, a close U.S. ally and Southeast Asia's second-biggest economy, on par with North Korea, Iran and Saudi Arabia among the worst offenders in fighting human trafficking, which could lead to U.S. sanctions.

• Like 1

UN calls for urgent investigation into allegations in Reuters report that Thai immigration officials move Myanmar refugees into human trafficking rings /MCOT

This story needs all the attention it can get!

I made my calls to the US yesterday regarding it.

• Like 1

Update via Reuters

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/07/us-thailand-rohingya-reaction-idUSBRE9B50F820131207?feedType=RSS&irpc=932

(Reuters) - Thailand will help the United Nations and the United States with any investigation into the findings of a Reuters report that Thai immigration officials movedMyanmar refugees into human-trafficking rings, the prime minister said on Saturday. ...
Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who chairs a government committee on human trafficking, declined to comment on the findings when asked about her reaction."I cannot comment on the Rohingya issue and reaction as this is the responsibility of the Foreign Ministry to handle," she said in a comment to Reuters, delivered through an aide.

Update via Reuters

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/07/us-thailand-rohingya-reaction-idUSBRE9B50F820131207?feedType=RSS&irpc=932

(Reuters) - Thailand will help the United Nations and the United States with any investigation into the findings of a Reuters report that Thai immigration officials movedMyanmar refugees into human-trafficking rings, the prime minister said on Saturday. ...
Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who chairs a government committee on human trafficking, declined to comment on the findings when asked about her reaction."I cannot comment on the Rohingya issue and reaction as this is the responsibility of the Foreign Ministry to handle," she said in a comment to Reuters, delivered through an aide.

So, who controls it in Thailand?

Anyone?

Edited by arthurboy

Update via Reuters

(Reuters) - Thailand will help the United Nations and the United States with any investigation into the findings of a Reuters report that Thai immigration officials movedMyanmar refugees into human-trafficking rings, the prime minister said on Saturday. ...

An absolute disgrace from puppet

Zero responsibility taken

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Guess Thailand can pretty much count upon a downgrade from America regarding human trafficking. There will be

financial sanctions as well if this occurs, I will be curious to see what form that takes......

But it is interesting that in the case here, not only is Thailand not aggressively attempting to stop trafficking,

the government is actually involved in doing it !!!! Amazing Thailand indeed .........clap2.gif