Thailand. Lucky Country?

laolover88

It's as close to paradise I will ever get, living here is a great improvement over the country I left the U.S., that has become a police state. You-all that love the west can have it, While I enjoyed a good life in the states, there was to much racial hatred, to much Big brother looking over your shoulder, to much taxation, to much disunity, to many laws, to much regulation etc..

But having lived in the worst taught me to appreciate what I have found in Thailand, Freedom, to be myself and do as I please.

It is so sad to find Freedom away from the country that is supposed to be the free-est in the world, it most certainly is not!

Thank you Thailand for letting me live here, the issues that I can not vote own land or any other thing I can not do here is not material to me, it is what I am allowed to do and be free in the process.

Cheers

Well said; Kikoman; however: if it hadn't been for the good ol' U.S. of A., this little Dutchman would be speaking German now . . . . . . . .

Forever grateful !

Love Thailand !

Cheers,

JaapFrysian

402.gif

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting stance on things like "freedom of expression", huh?!

"You don't agree that Thailand is an <deleted> miracle of a country, urinate off"?

I don't agree with terryp on all the things he said- but he is right about Thailand, not being paradise, like some of "you" folks see it!

It is my right to feel and say so...and it is your right, to live in a fantasy world!

Edited by Tywais
Quote of deleted post removed

10 yrs ago i would have agreed , and did live in thailand twice for a few yrs , since then i have watched the greed, corruption , violence and lawlessness increase , along with the infestation of the "new" visitors i no longer have the desire to live here , thailand is/was "sold out" long ago and now looks at tourists as cash cows only , ....the thai youth have no respect and no idea where their country would be without foreign investment and tourists and will eventually have to lie in the bed they made for themselves , xenophobia and insular thinking will continue to help sink thailand to the bottom . Every thai i know that has been to the UK with the exception of 1 , wanted to stay , I was at a party last week with around 15 thai girls, none of them wanted to go back to live in LOS , but then they were not in London , even i could'nt live there !

Have to totally agree with you.Thailand thinks us farangs owe it our lives,while most other 3rd world countries would be more than grateful to let us reside there without a ton of obstacles.

• Like 1

It's as close to paradise I will ever get, living here is a great improvement over the country I left the U.S., that has become a police state. You-all that love the west can have it, While I enjoyed a good life in the states, there was to much racial hatred, to much Big brother looking over your shoulder, to much taxation, to much disunity, to many laws, to much regulation etc..

But having lived in the worst taught me to appreciate what I have found in Thailand, Freedom, to be myself and do as I please.

It is so sad to find Freedom away from the country that is supposed to be the free-est in the world, it most certainly is not!

Thank you Thailand for letting me live here, the issues that I can not vote own land or any other thing I can not do here is not material to me, it is what I am allowed to do and be free in the process.

Cheers

I agree with you totally !

Interesting stance on things like "freedom of expression", huh?!

"You don't agree that Thailand is an <deleted> miracle of a country, urinate off"?

I don't agree with terryp on all the things he said- but he is right about Thailand, not being paradise, like some of "you" folks see it!

It is my right to feel and say so...and it is your right, to live in a fantasy world!

Let freedom ring along with freedom of the written speech. With both, go responsibilities to maintain that freedom. Tolerance, peace and compassion come to mind.

Cheers

Well said; Kikoman; however: if it hadn't been for the good ol' U.S. of A., this little Dutchman would be speaking German now . . . . . . . .

Forever grateful !

Love Thailand !

Cheers,

JaapFrysian

402.gif

You are right Jaap ,however ,things have changed a lot since then ,that was when men where men and a dollar was a dollar LoL..I don't know where you have been lately ,but the US of A sucks now ...

• Like 1

Cheers

As a yank, i agree with you on most points.

A police state is a state in which the government exercises rigid and repressive controls over the social, economic, and political life of the population. A police state typically exhibits elements of totalitarianism and social control, and there is usually little or no distinction between the law and the exercise of political power by the executive. Perhaps consider dictatorships, authoritarianism or fascism as examples.

When police states come to mind, I usually think of North Korea, Belarus, former East Germany, Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union. The US, even though restrictive in many regards, hardly fits the title IMO.

Then again, I may be a bit biased having been a soldier for 20 years, followed by the badge. I certainly can't recollect ever having denied anyone their civil liberties or transported them to the gulag without a fair trial.

If the US were a true police state, then just perhaps I would never been able to freely leave and move to Thailand. My US earned pensions and health insurance has followed me worldwide, thanks to the same police state.

Live and Let Live.

Agreed with both of you on most points. I left the US recently, I first moved to China for 3 years. Now that's a police state in today's world, since we can't experience N. Korea (thankfully). Police state for its citizens mind you, not so much for foreigners.

Imagine a situation in which what you write on TV is actually being "watched" and, according to new rules, if it gets "liked" or "retweeted" a certain number of times, you will be investigated (ie. tracked). A foreigner will get a warning and, if repeat offender, deportation...a citizen will get banned, have a visit at midnight, mandatory detention (kid you not), and if repeat offender, don't even ask.

So for me, Thailand is ok for now, hardly "paradise" though as some people (probably prematurely) call it.

more idiotic <deleted> , this drivel is the sort of stuff that makes me want to puke.......you are living in a 3rd World Corrupt Country where over half the population are on the game one way or another...... its not paradise!!!!!blink.png

According to you, over 30 million Thais are prostitutes and most of the country is a brothel.

You said; “you (meaning we) are living in a 3rd World Corrupt Country where over half the population are on the game one way or another” which I assume means you do not live in Thailand. So who are you and what are you? .What country do you live in? Do you have extremist political views?

Or perhaps you`re one of those losers who couldn`t hack it in Thailand and bear a grudge against the country? Or got shafted by some Thai woman of ill repute when you fell head over heels in love with her after only 2 nights of hot passion and paid sex?

For me personally, I consider myself lucky and fortunate to be in Thailand and able to afford living here.

The continuous politically bickering's here do rather spoil things, because it brings an uncertainty to what the furture holds for us in Thailand, but besides that, I believe that those like me who can afford to live in Thailand should also consider themselves privileged and lucky. I bet that there are thousands of people in the West that would swap with us in an instant to escape their mundane lives there.

terryp's reply was as accurate a description of thailand as the op's.

Thailand can be many things to different people.

For me as someone who has retired here, keeps his head down, abides by the laws to the letter, never becomes personally involved with businesses, Thai politics, women of ill repute, or Thais from the underclass of society, and can afford to live here without the stresses of financial concerns as to where my next month`s income is coming from, is able to qualify staying here under the imposed terms and conditions of the Immigration department, Thailand is a haven and I am enjoying my life here.

As regards the lower ends of Thai society, prostitutes and so on, this is there only for those who go seeking it or actively get themselves involved, the same as anywhere else in the world.

Life in Thailand is what you make it, excepting the facts that we are foreigners with few statutory rights and that the Thais like to keep us well under the thumb in Thailand, and judging by the distorted, malign and prejudicial comments made by some posters, which these day`s appear to be quite prevalant on Thai visa, explains the reasons why the Thais have good causes to be wary and cautious about us.

• Like 1

Cheers

As a yank, i agree with you on most points.

A police state is a state in which the government exercises rigid and repressive controls over the social, economic, and political life of the population. A police state typically exhibits elements of totalitarianism and social control, and there is usually little or no distinction between the law and the exercise of political power by the executive. Perhaps consider dictatorships, authoritarianism or fascism as examples.

When police states come to mind, I usually think of North Korea, Belarus, former East Germany, Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union. The US, even though restrictive in many regards, hardly fits the title IMO.

Then again, I may be a bit biased having been a soldier for 20 years, followed by the badge. I certainly can't recollect ever having denied anyone their civil liberties or transported them to the gulag without a fair trial.

If the US were a true police state, then just perhaps I would never been able to freely leave and move to Thailand. My US earned pensions and health insurance has followed me worldwide, thanks to the same police state.

Live and Let Live.

Agreed with both of you on most points. I left the US recently, I first moved to China for 3 years. Now that's a police state in today's world, since we can't experience N. Korea (thankfully). Police state for its citizens mind you, not so much for foreigners.

Imagine a situation in which what you write on TV is actually being "watched" and, according to new rules, if it gets "liked" or "retweeted" a certain number of times, you will be investigated (ie. tracked). A foreigner will get a warning and, if repeat offender, deportation...a citizen will get banned, have a visit at midnight, mandatory detention (kid you not), and if repeat offender, don't even ask.

So for me, Thailand is ok for now, hardly "paradise" though as some people (probably prematurely) call it.

Have I got news for you.

I know for a fact that comments made in Threads on Thai visa are read and noted with great interest at the Immigration departments and what is picked up on this forum and other forums like this, including comments made on magazine websites, newspaper items and on social networking sites, even Utube, can have adverse affects on the implementing of laws that place restrictions on ex-pats living in Thailand.

For example, placing derogatory comments about the Thais and Thailand on facebook are picked up within an instant by the Thai authorities. There is a Government agency who`s job it is to scan the Internet specifically looking for these sorts of comments and will take appropriate actions against those living in Thailand who make these comments.

As I have said many times in the past, those who make these comments are not doing themselves or anyone else any favours, because indirectly the actions of these people will affect all of us sooner or later. .

Looks like the usual split between the " I love Thailand" and the " I love myself " gangs.

It gets a little boring!facepalm.gif

willyumiii, Well said. Short, sweet and simple ;-)

If you don't love Thailand, you only love yourself???

Wow...just wow!

more idiotic <deleted> , this drivel is the sort of stuff that makes me want to puke.......you are living in a 3rd World Corrupt Country where over half the population are on the game one way or another...... its not paradise!!!!!blink.png.pagespeed.ce.AQgCnSOpp_.png alt=blink.png width=20 height=20>

I take it you are a Brit. Where are you living in Thailand that it is that bad. Please do us all a favor and let us know so we don't make the stupid mistake you are living in.

more idiotic <deleted> , this drivel is the sort of stuff that makes me want to puke.......you are living in a 3rd World Corrupt Country where over half the population are on the game one way or another...... its not paradise!!!!!blink.png.pagespeed.ce.AQgCnSOpp_.png alt=blink.png width=20 height=20>

According to you, over 30 million Thais are prostitutes and most of the country is a brothel.

You said; “you (meaning we) are living in a 3rd World Corrupt Country where over half the population are on the game one way or another” which I assume means you do not live in Thailand. So who are you and what are you? .What country do you live in? Do you have extremist political views?

Or perhaps you`re one of those losers who couldn`t hack it in Thailand and bear a grudge against the country? Or got shafted by some Thai woman of ill repute when you fell head over heels in love with her after only 2 nights of hot passion and paid sex?

For me personally, I consider myself lucky and fortunate to be in Thailand and able to afford living here.

The continuous politically bickering's here do rather spoil things, because it brings an uncertainty to what the furture holds for us in Thailand, but besides that, I believe that those like me who can afford to live in Thailand should also consider themselves privileged and lucky. I bet that there are thousands of people in the West that would swap with us in an instant to escape their mundane lives there.

Well you seem to agree that we are indeed living in a wonderful country. But I kept getting the impression that it is expensive for you as compared to where you come from. i find it not only wonderful but very reasonably priced.

As for the continuous political bickering I enjoy it. If I didn't I would not look at Thai Visa that often. In my every day life it has no affect on me what so ever. Mind you I don't live in Bangkok and even if I did I don't believe it affects that much of Bangkok.

Cheers

Very well said.

I found the States and Canada to be so restrictive that people stopped living and just existed.

Here in Thailand I can take responsibility for my own life. I know to many that is a scary proposition but not to me.

Bonus I get to see another culture as well as partake in it to a certain point.

I wish I could have left every thing behind but I must admit I use public transportation and even though I am a passenger i can feel the impatience that has turned into road rage for many in North America. I sit in the vehicle and fume and the operator just sits there patiently waiting.wai.gif

Looks like the usual split between the " I love Thailand" and the " I love myself " gangs.

Wow...just wow!

DocN... you made it all the way to "advanced member" without basic reading ability?

WOW, what a trollerant forum!

cheesy.gifw00t.gifbah.gif

no it's not a misspelling wai2.gif

Wow...just wow!

DocN... you made it all the way to "advanced member" without basic reading ability?

WOW, what a trollerant forum!

cheesy.gifw00t.gifbah.gif

no it's not a misspelling wai2.gif

What exactly am I misreading here?

more idiotic <deleted> , this drivel is the sort of stuff that makes me want to puke.......you are living in a 3rd World Corrupt Country where over half the population are on the game one way or another...... its not paradise!!!!!blink.png

Why don't you leave if this is your distressing opinion ? I can't understand at all.

I have just few comments.

1) most of you expats are lucky, not for living in LOS, but having a western passport and education that entitled you to earn a reasonable wage or pension that allows you to live in Thailand.try living as locals on 10-15 k per month

2)it is not entirely true that most of the thais dont want to live abroad...they are very close to family and most of them are uninformed about the rest of the world...however i am conviced that a factory worker would hapilly take a job overseas for 5 times higher pay

3) it is funny hear some guys here talking about police state while they never lived in such statd...well, i am from Romania, country who had one of the toughest communist regimes in the world...please stop whining

4) i remember reading about expats in Romania..they were so glad for their lives...of course, when you make 10-15 times more than average...and beautiful womens everywhere...better nightlife than most of european cities ( at least Bucharest)

5) of course you like living in Thailand...western guys...with all due respect, but i doubt you guys met so many beautiful womens in your home countries who are actually nice and willing to conversate...

6) while retirees here in Thailand are spending their time on alkohol and underaged Isaan girls, their siblings in countries such as mine are waiting for their lousy pension and fighting litteraly for groceries from Salvation Army...it was kinda tragic and sad when k saw western retirees fooling around in Thailand. ..but i know its not all of you guys.

Cheers

Forever grateful !

Love Thailand !

Cheers,

JaapFrysian

402.gif

You are right Jaap ,however ,things have changed a lot since then ,that was when men where men and a dollar was a dollar LoL..I don't know where you have been lately ,but the US of A sucks now ...

The USA is fine by me. I have found that some of the people there , much like people where I have been worldwide, can create a noticeable vacuum emanating from their mouths with the greatest of ease.

Think, Think, Think.

Cheers

As long as you wai correctly, take your shoes off at the front door, don't point your feet at anyone, etc etc..

Of course, if you don't interact with anyone, Thailand is free of all rules and regs.

Who told you that Thais don't want to live anywhere else? That's not true.

The Thai's I know love to travel - but would not want to live anywhere else than in Thailand.

What for sure is not true, is when a Thai-woman says she would like to in another country. It is just as big a lie, as when she says to a 65 year old ugly guy, that he looks "hansum"...

Thais love their country and 99,9% want to live here... and who can really blame them?

Things could be better. I'll take it for while. They need us and not the other way, at least as far as I'm concerned .

Sorry quivo, could you elaborate about "they need us...." would be very interested in your reasoning.