LHR-Samui return via BKK, separate tickets.

MarkyM3

Hi,

I already have a LHR-BKK return flight booked for next year via EVA AIR. I have now decided I want to travel straight on Samui via Bangkok Airways if possible.

I have tried to do a little research and understand that EVA can check my luggage onto the Bangkok Airways flight at Heathrow. However, I'm not sure what happens in transit at BKK i.e. will EVA be able to issue the boarding pass at Heathrow or would I need to get this from Bangkok Airways. Either way, I assume I will not need to leave the transit area and will clear immigration at Samui.

I'm aware that travelling on 2 separate tickets rather than a combined one means if the connection is missed the onus is on me, unlike with a single ticket.

Does anyone have any experience with doing this? The EVA flight usually arrives around 3:30pm and on a single ticket I would have looked at the 5pm flight to Samui but I would now look at the next one, which is 6pm, to be safe.

Any help much appreciated :-)

I am pretty sure your bags would be checked in all the way thru and you have to go to the transit desk to get a new boarding card.

I do the same route every year but always go to BKK and clear customs and get my bags first. Then just go upstairs and check in again with Bangkok Airways. To be honest you really don't have to do that but I prefer to know that my bags arrived at BKK ok. Just a preference.

Edited by Johnnyy

I am pretty sure your bags would be checked in all the way thru and you have to go to the transit desk to get a new boarding card. I do the same route every year but always go to BKK and clear customs and get my bags first. Then just go upstairs and check in again with Bangkok Airways. To be honest you really don't have to do that but I prefer to know that my bags arrived at BKK ok. Just a preference.

"Then just go upstairs and check in again" ... No.

You go to the transfer-desk, get your new boarding-pass & sticky-label from Bangkok-Airways there, and then go through transfer-Immigration & a security-check, which then leads to the Domestic-gates. Collect hold-luggage at Samui, and clear Customs there.

Show your B-A boarding-pass, to use the free B-A lounge, near their gates.

Edited by Ricardo

I am pretty sure your bags would be checked in all the way thru and you have to go to the transit desk to get a new boarding card. I do the same route every year but always go to BKK and clear customs and get my bags first. Then just go upstairs and check in again with Bangkok Airways. To be honest you really don't have to do that but I prefer to know that my bags arrived at BKK ok. Just a preference.

"Then just go upstairs and check in again" ... No.

You go to the transfer-desk, get your new boarding-pass & sticky-label from Bangkok-Airways there, and then go through transfer-Immigration & a security-check, which then leads to the Domestic-gates. Collect hold-luggage at Samui, and clear Customs there.

Show your B-A boarding-pass, to use the free B-A lounge, near their gates.

As I said, I prefer to collect my bags and clear customs in BKK, hence once you have done that you go upstairs to check in again at departures. Thanks.

As you are travelling on two separate tickets, its not always guaranteed that EVA will send your bags straight through, especially in high season. But asking nicely with a smile helps.

You are correct in going for the 6pm flight. Although I have frequently managed to catch an earlier flight when travelling on a single ticket straight to Samui, the last time my (and other passenger's) luggage was left in BKK. They said it was due to missing the connecting flight, even though I was travelling business class, and marked "Priority".

Best to go the CIQ transfer desk route, but I have also exited through immigration BKK, then gone upstairs and checked in. I think this is more inconvenient for the BKK airways check-in staff, as they have to find out where your baggage is when checking you in.

Hi All,

Many thanks for your assistance.

I called EVA's office at Heathrow last Friday to double-check the situation and was told there would be no problem in connecting with Bangkok Airways on both the outward and return journeys, despite the fact I am travelling on separate tickets. Similar response from Bangkok Airways.

Interestingly, the EVA agent i spoke with was quite insistent that my boarding passes for both legs could be issued upon check-in i.e. by EVA at Heathrow and Bangkok Airways in Samui. Not sure about that but as long as I don't have to leave the transit area then no worries. I may even try and do online check-in beforehand and print the passes upfront to avoid hassle.

Regards Bangkok Airways, I'm travelling Web Freedom to Samui and Business on return and apparently these tickets give you the option to change flights at no extra cost e.g. owing to delays. Although I'd be v.surprised if I could change from the 6pm flight to 5pm going out since I'd assume my luggage will already be tagged and waiting in a holding area somewhere at BKK.

If you fly on cheaper tickets e.g. Web Saver then I think changes are only allowed if there are tickets at the same price on the new flight available (which is doubtful). There may also be change fees on top. So people in a similar situation to me might want to bear this in mind.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by MarkyM3