Thai Ministry to keep a close watch on retails prices

webfact

Ministry to keep a close watch on retails prices
Petchanet Pratruangkrai
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Worrying about price gouging during the upcoming New Year festivities, the Commerce Ministry has launched three measures to protect consumers from unfair practices by traders and manufacturers.

Special task forces will be dispatched to check prices at retail shops and travel centres such as bus terminals, train stations and airports.

Second, teams will inspect gift baskets at supermarkets and other retail shops for ensure goods quality, fair prices, and expiry dates.

Finally, the ministry plans to hold a low-price fair as a strategy to help reduce the cost of living and stimulate spending.

Deputy Commerce Minister Yanyong Phuangrach said the ministry would closely monitor prices as it was afraid some unscrupulous traders would jack them up during the New Year celebrations.

"The Thai economy is still very fragile because of the uncertain political situation. The ministry will ensure that consumers are not victimised by high prices along with the slowdown of the economy," Yanyong said.

He added that the ministry's low-price fair should also help stimulate economic growth in the final quarter of the year as many local enterprises and consumer-goods manufacturers, such as One Tambon One Product (Otop) producers, would be able to trade at the fair.

The ministry is still working out details of the fair. It will be held late this month and early in the new year under the theme of "Thailand Grand Sale".

Meanwhile, any traders found to be raising their prices unfairly to exploit the New Year festival will be punished under the Goods and Service Prices Act with fines up to Bt140,000, and/or seven years in jail.

As for next year, Yanyong said enterprises should not yet increase their prices as the economy had been hit by both internal and external factors. Goods manufacturers should try to freeze their prices as production costs and wages would likely be unchanged next year, he added.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-07

The price of food seems to be going up in price every week,

but according to the PM its all in our minds.!

The price of imported foods is sure to see price increases due

to the decline in the Bht,but the increases are always more than

what % the Bht has lost.

regards Worgeordie

I haven't noticed any increases in prices of non-imported items at all, which items do you see increasing in price every week?

The hypocrisy! Prices of every damn thing continue to rise dramatically, and I don't eat meat or 'farang food'. Just wait until next April when this same maladministration raises the VAT rate to 8, then 10%.

what % the Bht has lost.

regards Worgeordie

I haven't noticed any increases in prices of non-imported items at all, which items do you see increasing in price every week?

You must not be buying eggs.

I buy 2 boxes of S-Pure every week, no price increase for a long time. No increase in the imported brand of butter that I buy, no increases in the price of bacon, no noticable bread price increase, tea and coffee prices may have increased by a baht or so, sugar is much the same as it's been for some time. Maybe I don't see the increases others do because I don't have to buy local staples like rice and noodles.

what % the Bht has lost.

regards Worgeordie

Sorry my friend to argue with you, but why ask ??? read the posts the people are telling you -every one. I have to ask you why you haven't noticed, surely as a daily buyer of food you will see for yourself, I do question you, quote "I haven't seen any increase in prices" so eggs -meat-local noodles- all are not showing increases ??? PLEASE--this is why you do have people not agree with you--how many LIKES do you get ??? few, sorry you cannot be the norm shopper.

• Like 1

What's shocking is that the price of meat and even some locally produced vegetables are cheaper in many European countries like UK, Germany, Switzerland, etc. than in Thailand.

Many imported items here are 8-10x the price than they are in Europe, which doesn't make sense even considering the air freight.

My milk used to be 55 Baht when I came to Thailand the first time. Now it's 50 satang under 90 Baht.

I agree. Shocking. Some farang farmers can chime in and correct me, but I know a guy who grows pigs. He told me that the wholesalers fix the price they charge for feed, and fix the price they will pay for the pigs, and then fix the price they charge markets. It's kind of like a mafia.

He butchers his own pigs and his wife sells the meat at a night market. He said he gets more than the wholesaler would pay, and less than a regular market would charge. He told me that selling that way is the only way he can make a profit.

I think it's possible that a lot of farming in Thailand is controlled that way. The price of seed, fertilizer etc, and then the price paid for farm products is all controlled by the same groups of people and they set prices.

I defer to any farmers on here who believe that what I was told is wrong.

what % the Bht has lost.

regards Worgeordie

To be a bit more specific, the items that are sold in shops.

Probably you aren't aware of it but decreasing the size of the item or including less quality ingredients is also a price increase, however the price on the tag stays the same.

• Like 2

Do we all remember last year, as a poster said-the P.M. said it's all in the mind. Remember that EGGS were being pegged at 4baht per egg. LAST YEAR, now how much are they ?????? Marlow how much was your eggs ???? 7bht ???? no increase Ha ha. what % is that increase.

What's shocking is that the price of meat and even some locally produced vegetables are cheaper in many European countries like UK, Germany, Switzerland, etc. than in Thailand.

Many imported items here are 8-10x the price than they are in Europe, which doesn't make sense even considering the air freight.

My milk used to be 55 Baht when I came to Thailand the first time. Now it's 50 satang under 90 Baht.

I agree. Shocking. Some farang farmers can chime in and correct me, but I know a guy who grows pigs. He told me that the wholesalers fix the price they charge for feed, and fix the price they will pay for the pigs, and then fix the price they charge markets. It's kind of like a mafia.

He butchers his own pigs and his wife sells the meat at a night market. He said he gets more than the wholesaler would pay, and less than a regular market would charge. He told me that selling that way is the only way he can make a profit.

I think it's possible that a lot of farming in Thailand is controlled that way. The price of seed, fertilizer etc, and then the price paid for farm products is all controlled by the same groups of people and they set prices.

I defer to any farmers on here who believe that what I was told is wrong.

You mean like price cartels and monopolies ? Naaah, will never happen in Thailand.

• Like 1

What do we class as the basic foods here for everyday consumption ( normal needs)

Meat----eggs----rice------milk------noodles--------prawns------bread-------vegetables--------fish balls/pork--------coffee/tea----------fruit (oranges/durian/bananas)

All these have risen in the last year 20% on average.

If we mention Bacon---biscuits--cheese-----butter----imports -not that normal at all for Thai people. NOT CHEAP. out of reach for Thais.

Anyone who therefore says that food over the past year has not risen -your joking--also prove that they have NOT.

Do we all remember last year, as a poster said-the P.M. said it's all in the mind. Remember that EGGS were being pegged at 4baht per egg. LAST YEAR, now how much are they ?????? Marlow how much was your eggs ???? 7bht ???? no increase Ha ha. what % is that increase.

I agree that the price for many food items is constantly on the rise, but eggs are a bad example. Bought 10 yesterday in CM on the fresh market and they were 4 Baht each. Same price if you buy the house brand at Makro, Big C and Tesco. If memory serves me right all big retail chains promised about 4 weeks ago that they will keep the prices for about 2000 every day food items stable. Another white lie?

I agree that the price for many food items is constantly on the rise, but eggs are a bad example. Bought 10 yesterday in CM on the fresh market and they were 4 Baht each. Same price if you buy the house brand at Makro, Big C and Tesco. If memory serves me right all big retail chains promised about 4 weeks ago that they will keep the prices for about 2000 every day food items stable. Another white lie?

Which eggs are 4 Baht at Makro, tesco or Big C ? Must be the category 6 or something, because the Category 1 eggs I buy are 5.2 Baht at Big C for their housebrand and a little more at Makro for the house brand

• Like 1

Which eggs are 4 Baht at Makro, tesco or Big C ? Must be the category 6 or something, because the Category 1 eggs I buy are 5.2 Baht at Big C for their housebrand and a little more at Makro for the house brand

I believe that it was Cat 2 and I bought Makro housebrand Cat 1 last week and they cost below 5 Baht an egg. But be my guest to nit pick a little bit more.

I believe that it was Cat 2 and I bought Makro housebrand Cat 1 last week and they cost below 5 Baht an egg. But be my guest to nit pick a little bit more.

I don't nitpick, I only state the facts as they are, I don't feel the need to dream up some incorrect prices to make my point.

By the way 4 Baht to 5.2 Baht is 30% difference.

By the way, Makro doesn't even sell their housbrand eggs in 10 or 12 piece packs

Edited by PeterSmiles

I am disgusted with some Thai prices at shopping outlets of so called repute.

I agree with most that Thailand is getting ridiculous, and many don't observe it.

I went to Makro last weekend, for a mid-sized shop.. not the monthly biggie... and was shocked when the bill was 6,000B.

I admittedly say remove 1,000 for Christmas lights and extension lead... but 5,000 was food, and we didn't walk away with that much - 1 trolley.

I was so gobsmacked, and seeing this thread, just got out the receipt to make some comparisons to prices in the UK.

So here goes, and I am using Adsa's online grocery in-shop price for free delivery order in UK TO COMPARE order prices:

1. 1Kg CP frozen nuggets 185 baht (YEP 185 B) = £ 3.52 blink.png . Asda's best nuggets 1Kg = 2 pounds exactly.

2. Brooks Australian Beans x 3 pack 415g tins @ 114 baht = £ 2.14. /// Asda sells HEINZ 57 at 2 tins for 1 pound /... yes £1 only for 2. bah.gif

3. Snickers 3x 48g pack 153 baht (on my god yes) = £ 2.91 pence (heart attack when changed to quid) . Asda 4 pack 48g bars £ 1.79 sad.png

I could go on, as I looked at peanut butter, gammon steaks, dry pack spaghetti, apples, frozen chicken breasts and pork steaks - the list is endless. The majority, and produced under licence in Thailand - NOT IMPORTED - are between 1.7 to 3 X the price in the UK. I did NOT select the above 1-3 as expensive examples.... they were simply the first 3 on my receipt. (yeah, and the frozen stuff wasn't bagged in 1 bag - idiots 555)

There's the proof though - current prices of many items are extortionate here.... and who says it's all relative to pay and income?

Oh! Eggs were 120 baht for 30 = 4 B each... class 2. So Makro eggs are low... but still not at the capped 3B per egg.

-mel.

• Like 1

Most, if not all, consumer goods are price fixed either by cartels or manufacturers .....there are no retail price maintenance laws which enforce freedom of pricing. Clearly retailers are reaping huge mark-ups.

At least half the items I buy here are more expensive here than their equivalent in the UK, even when produced / manufactured here...... it's called greed.

Edited by pb1936
  • Like 1

Most, if not all, consumer goods are price fixed either by cartels or manufacturers .....there are no retail price maintenance laws which enforce freedom of pricing. Clearly retailers are reaping huge mark-ups.

At least half the items I buy here are more expensive here than their equivalent in the UK, even when produced / manufactured here...... it's called greed.

Agreed in full.

• Like 1

I don't understand the argument about eggs. Eggs???

We can count ourselves lucky for eggs here, no matter the price.

Take a gander at UK egg prices : http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml#/shelf/910000976026

It's the other items we don't think about or make price comparisons with that chew our wallets.

Next time you're shopping at Lotus, or Bic-C or Makro make a mental note of what's before you, ignoring the baht prices we have come to be accustomed to and don't consider seriously enough, and go on to make an exchange rate comparison. You'll be putting things back!!! cheesy.gif

-mel.

what % the Bht has lost.

regards Worgeordie

Keep looking at those prices...biggrin.png

Here is how Thailand has low inflation - chinese cruller (pa tong ko) started out at over 30cm long and has become 8cm long. No price increases over the years...clap2.gif success in govt price control.

post-77843-0-79556200-1386396390_thumb.j

post-77843-0-45716700-1386396593_thumb.j

• Like 2

Today Tesco Brown fresh eggs box of ten were 50 bht, that is 1 bht more than promised by the government is that 25% increase ??? Yingluck said it's all in the mind. To add 1 kilo of brown cane sugar today at Tesco 25 Bht, before bought 22 bht. % up again. really posters who find an individual item and say no increase, go shopping for the week or month then you will find the truth.

"Goods manufacturers should try to freeze their prices as production costs and wages would likely be unchanged next year, he added."

How helpful this Dept. Minister of Commerce and how full of wishful thinkingermm.gif

• Like 1