Questions regarding the legality of teaching in Asia.

Greetings, some of you may remember me from previous threads that I made stating my intent to teach English in Thailand. The conclusion to those threads was that I was not qualified enough.

However, I come to you with another question; two years from now I will be a qualified Physical Education Teacher. I have heard that in Thailand, anyone with a degree can do the TFL course and teach abroad, however countries such as Japan require you do be a qualified English teacher. I honestly don't recall much about it, but I remember reading that a possible workaround for this was teachers that do not specialize in teaching English can then take a one year course to be deemed qualified, however any details regarding this eludes me.

I don't know how it works in your respective country of origin, but I just finished a two year course that allows me to do two additional years now and after that I will be a qualified Physical Education Teacher. I do not know if I will still want to teach abroad two years from now, my mindset could change entirely.

That being said, the best thing in life you can have is options. I want to know if this is a viable one.

Edit: To summarize all I'd still need to do;

-Finish the following 2 years of Physical Education

-Do 1 additional year, if needed.

-Take the TFL course in whichever country I choose to teach in.

Edited by Potential Teacher

"...countries such as Japan require you do be a qualified English teacher."

In order to teach English?? Rather nit-picking of them.

"That being said, the best thing in life you can have is options. I want to know if this is a viable one. "

I'd seriously consider exploring whatever other options are on your list. Why not teach PE in your own country ... or even teach English there?

The situation in Thailand is that you generally need to have a Bachelor's Degree to get a teacher's license and the non-immigrant B. If your Physical Education certificate is not a Bachelor's Degree, you can expect problems. You may be able to get the non-immigrant B visa, but the TL might be a problem (or vice versa).

You do not need to have a TEFL. You may be able to teach a subject other than English, including PE. We have foreign PE teachers.

If you teach English, much of it will be conversational English and that includes less grammar.

• Like 1