Australian Rules Football 2014 - Tipping, Chat & The Dream Team

chooka

As they say, a week is a long time in footy.

Now all of a sudden Freo look dangerous again.

As BookMan has said, they have a tough last month but they should

start favourites in their next 8. No margin for the top 4 now with Freo

breathing down their necks. And GC are a dark horse sitting 5th. I still

think they're a year away though.

Has the top 8 been settled? WCE and Ade a game out. I don't think WCE

will make it but if Ade beat Carlton this week and North lose to Geelong,

it will be tight.

I think North are the most vulnerable but they're liable to come out and beat

Geelong this week and then lose to WCE in Perth the following week.

Some interesting games this week starting on Friday night with Gee/North.

Will Geelong bounce back?

Port at home against a depleted Hawthorn should win.

I think Ade must be Carlton away to have any hope of making top 8.

Could GWS beat Richmond?

Should be a good round of footy fella's.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Suggestions for good seating?

Guys, I am taking the GF to her first AFL game. Hopefully the Swans V GC game at Metricon stadium in a few weeks. ($40-50 a ticket! <deleted>?)

Where would you suggest i get seats for her? Close to the boundary, near the centre of the ground? behind goals? In the stands?

She doesn't know the rules too well but she will enjoy the experience as a first

Took my lady to her first game (WCE v ESS) about 7 years ago.

Because she's short, we got a slightly elevated position on the wing near the centre.

I remember at quarter time I went and got 2 drinks, 2 hotdogs and a bag of chips.

When I told her it was $25, she nearly had a heart attack.

Needless to say, when we went to the WACA for a day/nighter, the esky

was packed with homemade stuff alt=biggrin.png>

Suggestions for good seating?

Guys, I am taking the GF to her first AFL game. Hopefully the Swans V GC game at Metricon stadium in a few weeks. ($40-50 a ticket! <deleted>?)

Where would you suggest i get seats for her? Close to the boundary, near the centre of the ground? behind goals? In the stands?

She doesn't know the rules too well but she will enjoy the experience as a first

If you can get tickets somewhere near the boundry line around the wing - behind the goals is annoying and you don't really get a good feel for the game and or near the end of the aisle (makes for easy access for the beer wench hahaha wink.png) you'll be set for a winning time.

Food and Beverage at football grounds have been notorious money spinners and also serving shit beer. Being in QLD you're probably going to be subjected to XXXX Gold which is palatable for the first couple of schooners.

Thanks guys

it will be tight.

Could GWS beat Richmond?

As you point out Khunwill, a lot of close games this week. Really any of the 6 games is up for grabs.

I favour Geelong over North, mainly because Geelong is at home. Last week freo exposed Geelongs defence in several ways, and although North have some tall forwards, I don't think North's midfield can play like Freo's midfield did last week. Freo and Sydney have the best midfields in the comp at the moment

I think you are a bit harsh on your Eagles mate. To me, there is nothing much between WCE, Collingwood, North. GC and Carlton just below that. They all have an issue here and there and are inconsistent, but they have the time to work it out.

Adelaide did win last week, a good tip by yourself, but Collingwood didn't help themselves up forward. GCoast's first half yesterday was a blitz against the Saints, but the top teams wont let GC's midfield run amok like that.

We could well see a team outside the top 4 challenge this year. Sydney or Geelong could be susceptible to missing out on top 4, even Hawthorn with its injuries. Certainly Port has about the best run home of the top 5 teams and Freo have a 2 month period to soldify their position.

• Like 1

Hannebery clear, but Stevie J gets one match.

THE MATCH Review Panel says Sydney Swans midfielder Dan Hannebery has no case to answer over his collision with Essendon defender Michael Hurley during Friday night's game at Etihad Stadium.

Even with an early plea Johnson's one-match sanction would stay at one match meaning he is likely to miss Friday night's vital game against North Melbourne at Simonds Stadium.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-19/mrp-write-off

• Like 1

it will be tight.

Could GWS beat Richmond?

As you point out Khunwill, a lot of close games this week. Really any of the 6 games is up for grabs.

I favour Geelong over North, mainly because Geelong is at home. Last week freo exposed Geelongs defence in several ways, and although North have some tall forwards, I don't think North's midfield can play like Freo's midfield did last week. Freo and Sydney have the best midfields in the comp at the moment

I think you are a bit harsh on your Eagles mate. To me, there is nothing much between WCE, Collingwood, North. GC and Carlton just below that. They all have an issue here and there and are inconsistent, but they have the time to work it out.

Adelaide did win last week, a good tip by yourself, but Collingwood didn't help themselves up forward. GCoast's first half yesterday was a blitz against the Saints, but the top teams wont let GC's midfield run amok like that.

We could well see a team outside the top 4 challenge this year. Sydney or Geelong could be susceptible to missing out on top 4, even Hawthorn with its injuries. Certainly Port has about the best run home of the top 5 teams and Freo have a 2 month period to soldify their position.

I didn't realize the Geelong/North game was at Simonds. I wouldn't pick against Geelong there, especially after a defeat.

Stevie J is a huge out though. Will probably with their F&B this year.

I might be a bit harsh on the WCE but I think because I follow them, I take a bit more notice.

I think our forward line with Darling, LeCras and Darling is A grade. The defence with Glass, McKenzie

and Hurn is also A grade.

But our midfield I honestly believe is C grade. I reckon we've got probably the 13th or 14th midfield in the comp.

No big bodies like Fyfe, Kennedy or Watson. No Rolls Royce movers like Pendlebury or Ablett.

We've just go slow accumulators like Priddis and Hutchings. Shuey shows the most pace and promise

but threatens to be a downhill skier. Wellingham has been really disappointing and Masten has gone backwards.

Add to that Nic Nat shouldn't really be out there due to a lack of fitness and Cox has probably gone a year too long.

It's won and lost in the middle and I don't think we've got the cattle. Have a look at next weeks game.

Our boys will get killed against Pendlebury, Beams and Swann.

I'm off for a bex and a lie downfacepalm.gif

• Like 2

This is what I call pushing for a recall!

Leather poisoning: Mitchell's 64-touch state league record

A RECORD-breaking 64-disposal, four-goal effort in the NEAFL has Sydney Swans midfielder

Tom Mitchell on the verge of a senior recall when his side takes on Geelong in round 11.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-19/mitchells-64touch-record

From the article:

Mitchell lost his place in the senior side with an ankle injury following the Swans' 43-point loss to North Melbourne in round four but has well and truly put himself in contention to return to the team after an incredible display on Sunday.
His disposal tally of 64 (23 contested, 41 uncontested) is the highest ever recorded by Champion Data in a state league or under-18 competition since the company began recording statistics in the TAC Cup in 2006.
The 20-year-old's stats sheet consisted of 28 kicks, 36 handballs, four goals, five tackles, 14 marks, 12 clearances, 27 handball receives and 16 hardball gets.

Also Ryan O keefe had 38 possessions and 13 tackles. That is the second week in a row that O'keefe has produced good numbers and high tackles.

Difficult to see who Sydney would drop from the midfield at the moment.

• Like 1

What you missed on last nights footy shows

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/richmonds-woes-headline-discussion-gazza-the-great-and-did-the-mrp-get-it-right/story-e6frg1xu-1226923356577

I'm thinking they should amend it to, what you missed on last nights footy shows and TVsmile.png

PS Was interesting to read the different views on the Hannerberry bump.

I actually agree with Gerard Healy on this one.

I also thought Stevie J was stiff. I hope he appeals it.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

What you missed on last nights footy shows

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/richmonds-woes-headline-discussion-gazza-the-great-and-did-the-mrp-get-it-right/story-e6frg1xu-1226923356577

I'm thinking they should amend it to, what you missed on last nights footy shows and TVsmile.png

PS Was interesting to read the different views on the Hannerberry bump.

I actually agree with Gerard Healy on this one.

I also thought Stevie J was stiff. I hope he appeals it.

Thanks for that link again KhunWill.

The Stevie J headbutt was a joke. If anything, the arm to the face he gave a player on the ground late in the game was worse.

Hannebery was lucky. To me he saw the player and still went in. But, micro second to decide. If however he was found guilty i'm sure it wouldn't happen again. Hanners comment at the end of the game confirmed it for me when he prefaced it with 'To be honest...' Generally a sign of the opposite.

I'd like to know what is happening inside Richmond this week. They weren't great last week, but a lot of it was the dismal and rushed kicking at goal. Also Melbourne should get a lot of credit. Their pressure on other teams in games this year has been terrific compared with last year.

Roos to stay longer? It might be tempting for him but I can't see it. Captain Kirk over at Freo might be given a go?

Hanner's was lucky, but as the MRP said he had "no alternative" but to collide with Hurley given that split second decision and the contact itself looked "soft" and not a heavy hit probably saved Hanner's bacon.

I think the Viney incident has spooked the MRP a bit.

RE: Stevie J, stiff decision? Crowley probably hammed it up a bit, but looking at the vision with Stevie J rubbing his head gave the MRP the impression that sufficient contact had been made. If Geelong challenge and lose, I'm not going to complain :P

Naitanui signs on: ruckman to remain an Eagle until 2019

WEST COAST ruckman Nic Naitanui has signed a five-year contract extension, tying him to the Eagles until at least the end of 2019.

The 24-year-old All Australian spoke emphatically two days ago of his desire not to leave the club when his current contract finished at the end of this year.

Is Nic Naitanui any good?

After growing up in Midvale as an Eagles' fan, Naitanui said it was a relief to get the contract signed, despite stating this week its unresolved nature had not been a distraction.

"It's great to sign a new contract, which allows me to now just concentrate on playing footy," Naitanui said on Wednesday.

"As I said the other day, I have from the very start of this said I was not going to go anywhere.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-21/naitanui-signs-new-deal

• Like 1

$4 Million over 5 years rumoured

NIC Naitanui’s long-awaited contract extension has been finalised, with the star ruckman set to remain at West Coast for at least another five years.

The Eagles today announced the 24-year-old would stay in blue and gold until the end of 2019 after coming to terms with the club on a new deal.

Naitanui made no secret of the fact he wanted to stay at the club he was drafted to in late 2008.

As flagged by SuperFooty earlier this month, the ruckman was poised to sign a deal worth around $4 million over the five years.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-21/naitanui-signs-new-deal

Mumford set to return after 'stupid injuries'

FULLY recovered from his latest unusual ailment, Greater Western Sydney ruckman Shane Mumford is ready to help the Giants regain some momentum when they meet an under-fire Richmond on Saturday.

On a day coach Leon Cameron admitted Toby Greene has to earn back the respect of his teammates before he plays again, GWS will be boosted by some big inclusions to face the Tigers at Spotless Stadium.

Mumford has been sidelined since round three, initially following surgery on an infection in his knee before he picked up a clot from the catheter used to administer antibiotics.

Doctors still don't know what caused his knee to swell and led to immediate surgery, ruling him out of the round four clash with the Western Bulldogs, before the issue with his arm then further delayed his return.

It adds to an extremely rare infection he sustained while with the Sydney Swans in 2012 stemming from a cortisone injection in his back, an ongoing issue which also took some time to diagnose.

Mick Malthouse demands Sydney help end now

Carlton coach Mick Malthouse says he can’t see the point in the AFL waiting until 2017 to remove Sydney’s controversial cost-of-living allowance.

Fairfax Media reported this week that the allowance would be removed by the start of the 2017 season, but that the AFL would continue to compensate the Swans with a new rent subsidy, which the league will pay directly to footballers earning less than the average player wage.

The report also stated that Greater Western Sydney appears to have been successful in its push to retain an additional $1 million in its salary cap – because of the unique challenges faced by the Giants as they battle to establish themselves – and that GWS players will also receive the rental subsidy from the start of 2017 under new equalisation measures to be outlined in June.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/mick-malthouse-demands-sydney-help-end-now-20140521-zrjp8.html

Carlton coach Mick Malthouse says he can’t see the point in the AFL waiting until 2017 to remove Sydney’s controversial cost-of-living allowance.

Fairfax Media reported this week that the allowance would be removed by the start of the 2017 season, but that the AFL would continue to compensate the Swans with a new rent subsidy, which the league will pay directly to footballers earning less than the average player wage.

The report also stated that Greater Western Sydney appears to have been successful in its push to retain an additional $1 million in its salary cap – because of the unique challenges faced by the Giants as they battle to establish themselves – and that GWS players will also receive the rental subsidy from the start of 2017 under new equalisation measures to be outlined in June.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/mick-malthouse-demands-sydney-help-end-now-20140521-zrjp8.html

Gee, it's not like Mick to have an opinion on things like thatwhistling.gif

• Like 1

1950 grand final North v Essendon. Interesting to see the playing conditions of 60+ years back at the MCG, playing styles, kicking styles. crowd etc etc.

Not many handballs, kicking backwards or across the field. In those days it was just straight down the field. Guys going to the footy wearing hats look a little weird also but that was the dress code of the day.

Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

At least Eddie's version sounds a bit more reasonable.

Eddie McGuire: Swans given a fair go

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire says the cost-of-living allowance remains "ridiculous" but believes a fair balance has been struck in giving the Sydney Swans until the start of the 2017 season to phase it out.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/eddie-mcguire-swans-given-a-fair-go-20140521-zrk8k.html#ixzz32P03q4H3

• Like 1

Buddy Millions to seek a trade to GWS in 2017 ;)

• Like 1

I probably shouldn't post this here, but for those of us who are interested in all codes of football (gridiron doesn't count for me), this nine minute video gives a good insight into the passion that State of Origin football (Rugby League) arouses among Queenslanders, and what an iconic stadium Lang Park is. Apart from RL SoO, Rugby Union and Soccer are also played here and get over 50,000 fans for the big games, huge crowds for Brisbane.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-22/billy-moore-explains-the-legend-of-the-queenslander-call/5471316

It's interesting that SoO is such a big thing in Qld and NSW, but Aussie Rules SoO generates so little interest.

Here are some of the jerseys for the AFL indigenous round. Swans jersey is awful.

Collingwood

post-147205-0-64026700-1400805912_thumb.

St Kilda

post-147205-0-96164000-1400805932_thumb.

West Coast

post-147205-0-68183500-1400806012_thumb.

North Melbourne

post-147205-0-89327100-1400806025_thumb.

Hawthorn

post-147205-0-83833100-1400806050_thumb.

Swannies

post-147205-0-05423100-1400806072_thumb.

Melbourne

post-147205-0-00578700-1400806088_thumb.

Fremantle

post-147205-0-14036900-1400806182_thumb.

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 1

Just looking at our footy tipping site and notice 77% are backing Richmond

against GWS. I'm not too sure about this one. GWS have some good inclusions.

Imagine the ramifications if Richmond lose this one!

When in doubt, I pick against North so will pick Geelong.

Port v Hawks should be a good one but Hawthorn are decimated.

Will still be interesting to see how Port go against them.

For me, Carlton and Adelaide is the hardest one to pick. If it was in Ade,

I'd pick the Crows every day of the week. This could be Carlton's last chance.

Decisions decisionsfacepalm.gif

• Like 1

Just looking at our footy tipping site and notice 77% are backing Richmond

against GWS. I'm not too sure about this one. GWS have some good inclusions.

Imagine the ramifications if Richmond lose this one!

When in doubt, I pick against North so will pick Geelong.

Port v Hawks should be a good one but Hawthorn are decimated.

Will still be interesting to see how Port go against them.

For me, Carlton and Adelaide is the hardest one to pick. If it was in Ade,

I'd pick the Crows every day of the week. This could be Carlton's last chance.

Decisions decisionsfacepalm.gif

I'm not sure about Richmond either. GWS at home and they could be in the mood. Just depends how razzed up Richmond players got during the week.

Ditto Carlton v Adelaide. Both promised a lot this year but have delivered very little

Another good article by The Duck on some players that promise

a lot but have yet to deliver.

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/these-five-players-just-have-to-win-the-mind-game-20140522-zrl0y.html

Wayne Carey makes some interesting points. I guess there is a heap of players who disappoint.

Watching Majak on the ground last game though...He can't be doing team harmony much good with his efforts