Australian Rules Football 2014 - Tipping, Chat & The Dream Team

chooka

Is that a win? Reading it, seems like Sydney can compete for players who are priced below the average?

Most likely a compromise... As I read it, the Swans can now go after a trade but their offer can only be - at most - the market average for a player who has more than 2 years experience, less than 2 years needs to be below the market average.

Doesn't sound so appealing at face value but the way you'd get around it would be to 'back load' the contract. Would work for the Swans given their current long term investments.

It's not necessarily fighting with one arm tied behind your back, but it's pretty damn close.

• Like 2

However a record 78 players earned more than $500,000 in 2014, driven largely by a sharp increase in the number of players earning between $500,000 and $700,000 a season (41 in 2013 to 57 in 2014).

The average AFL salary in 2014 was $283,029, up from $265,179 in 2013, with a total of 719 players across the competition not including listed players.

AFL clubs paid a total of $188.9 million in player payments, before deductions allowed for injury allowances, veterans' list payments, finals incentives and other reasons, increasing 4.07 per cent from the 2013 figure of $181.5 million.

The highest-paid player to miss the entire season earned between $500,000 and $600,000.

some good money now being earnt by quite a few. Lots of opportunity ow to keep good players in the game.

• Like 2

Just a heads up lads.. Wiziwig's done and dusted... But all seems not lost with GetYourFixtures stepping up and taking over

"Today is a sad day for all fans of live sports streaming, as we at Wiziwig have to announce that we're forced to close our website, at least for now. This due to new laws in Spain which will get into force starting tomorrow, the 1st January 2015. Failing to comply with the new reform puts us at risks of fines being as high as € 600.000,- and also losing our domain, hosting and other necessary stuff to operate wiziwig."

I'm test driving GetYourFixtures now to see if it is just as effective wink.png

EDIT: No it's all but useless...

I use getyourfixtures to find out what TV stations are broadcasting the cricket, then stream from that channel.

It's handy for cricket as there's usually a lot of different channels that pick it up and drop it off.

The upcoming Indigenous Camp and All Stars game against West Coast is all about education for Michael Walters.

The Fremantle forward will join 71 other Indigenous stars from the AFL for a week-long camp in Perth that will culminate in a game against the Eagles at Medibank Stadium on Friday 20 February.

It’s very important for the 72 Indigenous boys to get around each other,” Walters said.

“It’s a big group, and to have them here in Perth is quite good, especially when we are all staying together for the week.

“In the past couple of years I haven’t managed to get a game, but this year I’m feeling pretty good and hopefully all goes well from here on and I get a gig.”

Joined by good friend Nic Naitanui in a media conference at Leederville on Tuesday to promote the game, Walters said it would be an honour to take part in the camp and the game.

‘Son Son’ said he was most looking forward to mixing with and learning from AFL superstars such as Lance ‘Buddy’ Franklin and Cyril Rioli.

“To learn from boys like ‘Buddy’ and Cyril Rioli, who I try to match my game up against, is quite an honour and hopefully I learn a bit more,” he said.

“They are the benchmark of the competition.

“Buddy’s played with boys like Kurt Tippett, and Cyril has (Jarryd) Roughead, so you can learn heaps.

“I’m pretty sure they want to learn a bit more, as well.”

Walters said he’d always closely followed three-time premiership winner Rioli.

“He’s pretty quick and he can also take a good mark,” he said.

“I want to build the relationship with him and try and learn a bit more off him.”

Former Freo Indigenous stars Dale Kickett, Troy Cook, Des Headland and Antoni Grover will also assist in the Indigenous Camp and All Stars game

• Like 2

Guys,

looking at our thread title...

It seems we have two options

* We keep this thread, and just edit 2014 to 2015 (if we can)

* We start a new thread for 2015

Any thoughts?

For me, I'd be happy to just go an edit in the title name

I wonder what Chooka thinks.

• Like 2

I like the idea of editing the title by deleting the date alltogether and then you won't have the same problem year after year.

Australian Rules Football - Tipping, Chat & The Dream Team

I agree with what you have stated Ron. I was only thinking this the other day. Thanks Bookman for posting.

• Like 2

I think we need to start a fresh thread, as I'm pretty sure we had the same issue at the end of the '13 season thread, in that it couldn't be edited after such a long time...

Happy to be corrected on that though, it was a while ago and if the title can be edited to remove the year that will save this topic being brought up every year :P

• Like 1

post-140056-0-06554000-1422486293_thumb.

Matthew Pavlich will captain Fremantle for a ninth consecutive season after the club announced its 2015 leadership group on Wednesday.

Pavlich, who has skippered Freo on a record 167 occasions since taking over from Peter Bell in 2007, said he was as proud as ever to lead the club.

“I’m really excited about another year and the honour and privilege that comes with the position,” he said.

“I don’t take it for granted and never have, it’s a serious position and I take it on with a great deal of responsibility.

“I’m really excited and very privileged to be in the role again.”

Long-term members Aaron Sandilands, Luke McPharlin and David Mundy were again selected, as was Lee Spurr, who was added last year.

There was only one change from the 2014 leadership group, with superstar midfielder Nat Fyfe included for the first time, replacing Matt de Boer.

Pavlich said there would be some great challenges ahead for the 2015 leaders, given the demographic of the group.

“There’s a few senior players that have been there for quite some time, and that presents its own challenge, making sure that we keep driving the high standards and setting the tone for the group,” he said.

“But having a couple of younger players in there is fantastic and it will certainly stimulate the senior players to keep driving and make sure that we’re hitting high marks and high standards.

“In a season itself, there’s plenty of ups and downs along the way, so I can guarantee there will be some great times, but also some challenging times that we’ll have to deal with.”

The club uses an established player vote system to elect its captain and leadership group every season.

Pavlich said the large number of players who gained votes from their peers was a healthy sign for Freo.

“That shows a great development and strength in our leadership throughout the whole team,” he said.

Edited by Ron19
  • Like 1

Righto lads.

Got a PM back. Admin doesn't like to edit topic titles on long running threads.

So we can leave it as it is, or start a new thread and create links from this thread to the new thread.

We can just leave the date off the new topic title.

We might get an additional contributor or two if we start up a new thread anyway

• Like 2

Righto lads.

Got a PM back. Admin doesn't like to edit topic titles on long running threads.

So we can leave it as it is, or start a new thread and create links from this thread to the new thread.

We can just leave the date off the new topic title.

We might get an additional contributor or two if we start up a new thread anyway

I'm in favour of a new thread mate whilst leaving the date off.

NAB cup next month!

• Like 2