Australian Rules Football 2014 - Tipping, Chat & The Dream Team

chooka

THIS IS NOT SO MUCH AS A NEW THREAD BUT A REVAMPED AND FRESH THREAD ON THE OLD.

The old thread titled "Australian Rules Football For The Aussies In Thai" http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/543333-australian-rules-football-for-the-aussies-in-thai/

The members of the old have decided that a new and fresh thread is warranted. A vote was placed with a 100% for yes.

The 2014 season is just around the corner (96 days) and we invite all to join us, you don't have to be an Aussie in the discussion of Australian Rules Football (AFL)

This new thread is offering more. If you think you are good enough to pick 9 each week then join us in the TIPPING. No prizes but a pat on the back.

Join us for some friendly CHAT banter leading up to and including the 2014 season. (We don't always agree on other topics on Thaivisa but on here we are one family where everything is friendly digs)

DREAMTEAM AFL - Is a fantasy AFL league where mates have fun and you will start picking your team at the end of December. Members on here will pit themselves against each other.

Thaivisa members so far for the DREAM TEAM are

Carterjenkins

Farmerjo

Xangsamhua

Ron

Bookman

Ripstanley

Grant

Kooweerup and;

myself aka chooka are in

Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

Moderators please correct my heading from Auatralian to Australian. I tried but can't

You might need to PM them mate...

Maybe ask them to close the old thread also and link to this one...

Done, and done thumbsup.gif

carlton-blues1.jpg

• Like 2

Why not start some Fantasy team info with Chook's beloved Saints?

2014 AFL Fantasy price watch: St Kilda

LEIGH Montagna's consistently strong performances in NAB AFL Fantasy have him as the fifth-most expensive player in the competition in 2014.

Montagna showed no sign of slowing down last season, averaging a healthy 111.8 Fantasy points per game.

He finished his year with a monster 189-point performance in the round 23 win over Fremantle, off the back of 47 disposals.

The on-baller's 2014 price is $606,000, a $65,000 price-leap from the end of last season.

Captain Nick Riewoldt is the second highest-priced Saint at $559,000. A Fantasy staple of years past until injury cut his input, Riewoldt was reborn in 2013 and it was apparent in his 103.14 scoring average.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-12-08/2014-afl-fantasy-price-preview-st-kilda

Sounds like it could be fun.

Count me in Chooka!

thumbsup.gif

Just need some clarification on how picking an AFL dream team works exactly..is this just like weekly footy tips club by club or are we picking individual players to create an end of season dream team? The second being my understanding.

quick edit/thought..would need someone to collaborate and run things me thinks.

Edited by krisb
  • Like 1

Sounds like it could be fun.

Count me in Chooka!

thumbsup.gif

Just need some clarification on how picking an AFL dream team works exactly..is this just like weekly footy tips club by club or are we picking individual players to create an end of season dream team? The second being my understanding.

quick edit/thought..would need someone to collaborate and run things me thinks.

Your in.. 10/16

Krisb

Carterjenkins

Farmerjo

Xangsamhua

Ron

Bookman

Ripstanley

Grant

Kooweerup and;

myself aka chooka are in

It is reasonably simply. You will have a salary cap of around 10Mil (to be decided by the AFL) from that you have to select 30 players your starting 22 and emergencies. When you have selected your team you enter it into the Thaivisa League (I will provide the league code when it is up and running) Your team will play against other members teams (list Above so far)

Your team is not set in concrete and you can change the entire lineup at anytime up until the 1st bounce in round 1. After that you will only have 2 trades per week to cover injuries/suspensions etc but you also have your emergencies.

I have started selecting my team from here http://fantasy.afl.com.au/player-prices . They have started to release the values of players but the AFL are teasing and only one team per day starting from GWS and working up to the Hawks. I am jotting down the names of the value picks as you see on the right side of the page. These players have been accessed by alledged "experts" and may be up and coming players who will score well. This doesn't mean I will eventually select them in my final team it just assists when the time comes.

A good tip is Don't over load your team with to many players from the same AFL side, 2 or 3 tops. You have to remember there will be two bye rounds in 2014 and if you have to many players on the bye then you have gutted your dream team and my not have the trades to cover them.

Mid fielders are the big point scorers so another tip have say 3 quality mids a quality forward and back, then build the rest of your team around them.

I will keep posting tips on here and open to any questions. Ask question on this forum and don't P.M me as others may benefit from the Q&A.

• Like 1

Ok so do we need to register on the AFL site to create a team, or are you listing them on here Chooka?

Sorry, takes a while for things to sink into my head sometimesfacepalm.gif

You create your own Team on the AFL website. You can then add your team to a League. In this case Chooka will give us the THaiVisa League code when he can register it.

You can create your Team name now. Then add the team to the League later.

We were thinking it best if everyone from Thaivisa uses part of their Thiavisa handle to make it easier. EG: 'KrisBs Real South Aussies' or whatever u choose

• Like 1

Ok so do we need to register on the AFL site to create a team, or are you listing them on here Chooka?

Sorry, takes a while for things to sink into my head sometimesfacepalm.gif

You register on the AFL sight.

Bookman had a good idea in that we name our teams the same as the name you use on here. That way people will know who they are playing against.

Ah new hangout, found it.

My dream team name is Kooweerup Dogs.

When the league opens don't forget to post the code.

I see 10 takers already that's pretty good.

Must warn you guys I am a wiz at this dream team. Finished 8th in my league last year and knocked out in the 1st round of the finals.

Edited by Kooweerup

Chooka/guys

What do you think about the Dreamteam being in a separate thread? I know the soccer forum

is bigger, but their fantasy league is pinned. Maybe the mods could either pin this one or have

a subforum for it? BookMan may know how to get it done if you guys agree.

It's just that, I think come footy season, it's going to be quite big and I think a separate forum

would be better, especially for people like me who aren't in itbiggrin.png

Maybe even split the dreamteam and tipping into one and the general chat into another?

What do you think?

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

Chooka/guys

What do you think about the Dreamteam being in a separate thread? I know the soccer forum

is bigger, but their fantasy league is pinned. Maybe the mods could either pin this one or have

It's just that, I think come footy season, it's going to be quite big and I think a separate forum

Maybe even split the dreamteam and tipping into one and the general chat into another?

What do you think?

No interest in joining will27? We'd love to have u in the Fantasy League.

Sydney have a few players also:

SYDNEY SWANS

Adam Goodes, Nick Malceski, Ryan O'Keefe, Ted Richards, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Nick Smith
Out of those Nick Smith is by far the youngest at 25. I'd think he would be re-signed
The other players are all hitting the 30 and 30+ mark. I'd think GWS might be in the market for one or two...probably come down to salary cap

Chooka/guys

What do you think?

I do hear what you are saying Will27.

However, at this stage, I'd be against splitting it into two threads for the following reasons.

There is only a small, but solid core of us AFL posters on here, so any more we can attract in the next couple of months to participate is a bonus. Having different areas of chat can help with interest.

The Fantasy League has its own message board, so once the Fantasy League and Tipping begins most of the minutiae regarding those comps will take place within those boards. Fantasy League begins pre season so most chat regarding fantasy will migrate then, freeing up this chat area.

Ripstanley was going to set up a Tipping Comp in a similar fashion, and I’d guess that it also has a message board with the comp.

Of course leading up to the start of the Tipping and Fantasy Comps there will be discussion about format, codes, advice on strategies here, just so people who might be interested can become familiar.

At the very least I’d suggest a wait and see approach...if it does gets too crowded on here pre or during the season, split the threads.

• Like 2