Australian Rules Football 2014 - Tipping, Chat & The Dream Team

chooka

I thought the umpiring was very poor . Non free kicks against both sides were missing at vital stages of the game. I think the Swans were suffering from last weeks game.

Shaw was an injury to the ankle.

It was good to Goodes having a long run up field with a few bounces.

Buddy was even sighted in the defensive goal square. I was impressed.

Reid held some good marks and kicked goals

I think they were lucky but their class prevailed

A couple of times i saw him down there and was also surprised.

Could of been a lot of free kicks going both ways resulting in shots at goals. I'm not sure what the deal was with all this holding on Buddy. What about the grab the leg one? How was that missed?

That was a bad miss but another was a Buddy with hand in the face of a Richmond player.

• Like 1

half time in the Swans V Richmond game and Tigers up by 14 points!

Swans have looked like they woke up 15 minutes before the game and will have to double their effort to win this one.

With the possession Richmond had they should be 40 points up at Half Time. 214 disposals to 144 blink.png

I think possession stats can be misleading at times though.

Cotchin had 22 at halftime and really didn't hurt Sydney at all.

I know Bruce and Dennis were going coco banana's over him, but

my mate from Oz phoned me and said that Gerard Healy said Cotchin

only averaged 6 meters gained per possession n the first half.

In congestion and bounced-downs fair enough, but to me, Cotchin just seems

to be getting a lot of cheapies these days and isn't damaging at all. If Jetta had

22 possessions by halftime, you'd be in big trouble. Not sure what you guys think.

Is Hardwick in trouble? Finishing 5th last year gave the club expectations. I know

they re-signed him last year for another 2 years (terrible decision), but they've gone

from 5th to 15th.

Richmond looked good tonight for 3 and half quarters. They almost let Sydney get away with it after half time but Sydney couldn't convert.

I agree about possessions, but not in the first half of this game, especially the first quarter. Richmond dominated and should have booted ahead. The frst quarter I was wondering if Sydney had an experienced players on the field at all

• Like 1

I thought the umpiring was very poor . Non free kicks against both sides were missing at vital stages of the game. I think the Swans were suffering from last weeks game.

Yep, thought the umpiring was ordinary.

Friday night's interpretations usually set the scene for the rest of the weekend.

So I can guess we can expect to see rummaging scrum work happening.

Buddy was molested by Rance several times and twice had his legs grabbed

when he was running towards goal. It's ok to beat Buddy on a man on man

contest up on the wing, but Franklin usually won the decisive battles, the ones

that really counted.

I'm not a Rance fan, I think he's got poor skills and even poorer decision making.

His main asset is his endeavor. Still, I was pretty surprised when they were debating

who was better, Rance or Franklin. Surely the first aim of the defender is to stop

his opponents goal output. Especially a key forward such as Frankiln. Anything else

after that like run and carry is a bonus.

So Buddy has kicked 4 in a low scorer, gave at least 1 away (Malceski) and they

were debating who was betterblink.png

Go and ask the coaches this morning who they thought was better.

Just as an aside, I think Franklin has probably won 3 games already for the Swans

this year. IMO, he's already paid for this years salarybiggrin.png

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

Friday night's interpretations usually set the scene for the rest of the weekend.

Just as an aside, I think Franklin has probably won 3 games already for the Swans

Yep, Buddy is earning his millions! Tippet would have made a big difference in that game, i could have seen him kicking4 goals (which would have helped my tipping margin score - i guessed 38ish)

Swans can't play two rucks again like that. Bye bye Derickyx. A few injuries now, Hannerberry, Mcglynn, Mitchell, Tippett, Shaw.

As always KhunWill you hit teh nail on the head. Now the other teams have seen all the wrestling and ball grabbing and player holding they would have to assume it is okay for this week.

Personally I would like to see a LOT more protection given the way of the forwards. More goals makes it more interesting, and often we are seeing defence roll the dice and gamble they wont be penalised for a sneaky infraction.

To be fair, the umpires are sometimes blocked with thei rvision, especially when you get big clusters of players together, but a lot of teh one on ones and 2 on ones should be seen.

One thing....i don;t think the umpires last might like Buddy so don't expect any Brownlow votes for him. Surely he or Martin should be 3 votes?

• Like 1

Yep, Buddy is earning his millions! Tippet would have made a big difference in that game, i could have seen him kicking4 goals (which would have helped my tipping margin score - i guessed 38ish)

Swans can't play two rucks again like that. Bye bye Derickyx. A few injuries now, Hannerberry, Mcglynn, Mitchell, Tippett, Shaw.

As always KhunWill you hit teh nail on the head. Now the other teams have seen all the wrestling and ball grabbing and player holding they would have to assume it is okay for this week.

Personally I would like to see a LOT more protection given the way of the forwards. More goals makes it more interesting, and often we are seeing defence roll the dice and gamble they wont be penalised for a sneaky infraction.

To be fair, the umpires are sometimes blocked with thei rvision, especially when you get big clusters of players together, but a lot of teh one on ones and 2 on ones should be seen.

One thing....i don;t think the umpires last might like Buddy so don't expect any Brownlow votes for him. Surely he or Martin should be 3 votes?

I just think that because he is so strong and good, the umpires don't give him any favours and tend to sometimes back the

battler (underdog).

A good indication of voting is the AFLCA on the AFL website where the coaches vote.

It's usually pretty accurate. I would be surprised if Buddy didn't get top votes for the

game and it will be interesting to see if Rance and Cotchin poll.

• Like 1

I must admit to being really disappointed in the WCE's coach Adam Simpson

for guaranteeing Dean Cox a game in the derby next week.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/west-coast-eagles-coach-adam-simpson-declares-ruckman-dean-cox-will-return-for-next-weeks-derby/story-fniv6fhh-1226961414420

It means that either the young fella Lycett, who was good last week will miss

out or they will play 3 ruckmen again which hasn't worked all year.

There is too much talk of Cox being the first WCE to play 300 games

and this influence isn't helping the situation.

IMO, Coxy has been the ruckman of the decade and would probably vie

with Polly Farmer as the greatest ruck of all time. But WCE have 2 young

guys in Lycett and Sinclair who we need to get games into now that realistically

our finals chances are gone.

It must be hard for Simpson as a new coach to manage this but promising games

like this is not good.

Not a happy chappysad.png

• Like 2

I just think that because he is so strong and good, the umpires don't give him any favours and tend to sometimes back the

battler (underdog).

A good indication of voting is the AFLCA on the AFL website where the coaches vote.

It's usually pretty accurate. I would be surprised if Buddy didn't get top votes for the

I believe you are right about the umpires 'evening' things up, but i wish they wouldn't it. The rules should be the same no matter what advantage a player has

I thought Rance was fairly effective. 4 goals sure, but could have been another 4 the form Buddy is in. probably should have been two more from penalties.

Thanks for the tip on the AFLCA, i will check that out

• Like 1

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/west-coast-eagles-coach-adam-simpson-declares-ruckman-dean-cox-will-return-for-next-weeks-derby/story-fniv6fhh-1226961414420

guys in Lycett and Sinclair who we need to get games into now that realistically

like this is not good.

Does Cox have 2 more years in him or will this be it for him?

WC should let him go, much like Geelong did for some of their past stars and focus on youth?

like this is not good.

Does Cox have 2 more years in him or will this be it for him?

WC should let him go, much like Geelong did for some of their past stars and focus on youth?

From what I've seen of Coxy this year, it's time to pull the plug now.

I think the game has finally caught up with him and no one wants to see

him running around in the magoo's.

A really delicate situation for a first year coach like Simpson to handle.

Having said that, Coxy will probably dominate next weeks derbybiggrin.png

Although he will be against the best in Sandilands.

Could this be a first?

Assuming there is any truth in the article, apart from the rugby converts,

has anybody yet to play a game been offered $500 000 per year?

I read somewhere that Syd had to pay a fair bit for Tom Mitchell to ward of GWS

but surely not $500 000 a year

Young Melbourne star Jesse Hogan back running and set to pen new two-year deal

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/young-melbourne-star-jesse-hogan-back-running-and-set-to-pen-new-twoyear-deal-20140620-zsgpp.html#ixzz35Ewm4jBi

Hogan has agreed in principle to a two-year extension through until the end of 2017. The financial terms are still being finalised, but he would be expected to earn about $500,000 a season in those two extra years given both Fremantle and West Coast had significant interest in luring the West Australian home.

• Like 1

Could this be a first?

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/young-melbourne-star-jesse-hogan-back-running-and-set-to-pen-new-twoyear-deal-20140620-zsgpp.html#ixzz35Ewm4jBi

Hogan has agreed in principle to a two-year extension through until the end of 2017. The financial terms are still being finalised, but he would be expected to earn about $500,000 a season in those two extra years given both Fremantle and West Coast had significant interest in luring the West Australian home.

Sounds like a lot, but Melbourne really do need a goal kicking forward right now..untried and getting 500k? Does seem too much but what tried and true players would want to go to Melbourne right now?.

As for Tom Mitchell, I though he was going to West Coast next year?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/gws-chequebook-is-making-waves-in-afl-mirrored-by-offer-to-young-tom-mitchell/story-e6frg7mf-1226012249374

At the time Sydney signed Mitchell he looked like he was a player we HAD to sign and retain.

He will be a terrific player but if GWS pays over the odds, Sydney now has so many good mid fields in the reserves they could afford to lose him. Still , a lot of money Sydney have running around in the reserves with Lewis Roberts Thomson, Tom Mitchell, Ryan O Keefe, Gary Rohan (less money)

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

battler (underdog).

I believe you are right about the umpires 'evening' things up, but i wish they wouldn't it. The rules should be the same no matter what advantage a player has

I thought Rance was fairly effective. 4 goals sure, but could have been another 4 the form Buddy is in. probably should have been two more from penalties.

Thanks for the tip on the AFLCA, i will check that out

Yeah the umpiring was a bit dubious, Buddy was clearly legged but the whistle stayed in the pocket, but then a little earlier there was a pretty soft free paid that handn't been paid all day. There just needs to be consistency on the park. I think that's all any of the players have ever asked for.

Buddy certainly earning his crust last night, his forays into the forward 50 aren't unheard of, he's been doing it for a couple of weeks now and he seems to do it when the boys need it - adjusting to the culture? or going back to his early days at Hawthorn? But it's good to see him roaming around and getting in amongst all of it.

This Jones kid, bugger me, granted it was his first game so one shouldn't go and lose focus but looks impressive. Agree about B. Jack he should remain as the sub for a bit longer he's a bit of a super-sub and comes on and makes an impact.

Could this be a first?

Well to be fair Hogan did play in the NAB Cup, so he sort of has played... Otherwise, can't think of anyone that pulled that sort of coin without getting on the footy field...

• Like 2

Sounds like a lot, but Melbourne really do need a goal kicking forward right now..untried and getting 500k? Does seem too much but what tried and true players would want to go to Melbourne right now?.

As for Tom Mitchell, I though he was going to West Coast next year?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/gws-chequebook-is-making-waves-in-afl-mirrored-by-offer-to-young-tom-mitchell/story-e6frg7mf-1226012249374

At the time Sydney signed Mitchell he looked like he was a player we HAD to sign and retain.

He will be a terrific player but if GWS pays over the odds, Sydney now has so many good mid fields in the reserves they could afford to lose him. Still , a lot of money Sydney have running around in the reserves with Lewis Roberts Thomson, Tom Mitchell, Ryan O Keefe, Gary Rohan (less money)

What a great article to find there BM! A particular highlight that should be read out any time that the Bondi Billionaires get mentioned is this:

"Ablett's near-$9m, five-year deal, for example, approximately doubled what Geelong could afford to pay to retain the Brownlow medallist and became an industry-wide point of discussion."

Even if it is an article from 3 years ago, still very much appropriate...

LRT and O'Keefe will retire either this year or the next, LRT can't keep going around. Though I'm sure I've said that before and then he bobs up and has a killer season, but just can't see him getting back. This frees up a lot of salary cap which doesn't need to be spent on acquiring new talent. We've got it in spades. The club needs to be re-signing that talent. We've mentioned Goodesy retiring as well in earlier parts, so again that will further free up the cap (not a lot more, as a good chunk of Goodesy's salary comes out of the "Veterans list" payment.

• Like 1

That bloody chooka always pissing on my parade tongue.png

Well as long as THE hansum man with good heart didn't back them in, I'll be relieved wink.png

He's a cagey fellow that hansum man.

I didn't think Gold Coast would play this well. Geelong has been pressured all night while Gold Coast have found unmarked players the entire game. The Suns came out firing the last quarter to finish the job.

• Like 1

Well as long as THE hansum man with good heart didn't back them in, I'll be relieved wink.png

Sorry mategiggle.gif

Looks like Rip, Xang and Will picked them this game!

Oh boy, I am sliding down the leader board

Sorry mategiggle.gif

Well well well...

Well played sir... Though your "good heart" title may have to be up for re-evaluation :P

Bombers and Crows?

• Like 1

No Golden Showers this weekend my friend. I got cold feet and changed my tip

• Like 2

Sorry mategiggle.gif

Well well well...

Well played sir... Though your "good heart" title may have to be up for re-evaluation tongue.png

Bombers and Crows?

Not often a team kicks 7 straight goals first quarter and I still favour the other team to win.

Essendon leading Adealide :42 - 18

• Like 1