Five Thai campuses picked in top 100 universities in the world's emerging economies

webfact

EDU UPDATE
Five Thai campuses picked in top 100 universities in the world's emerging economies

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- FIVE THAI higher-educational institutes have been rewarded for their quality of education, after being named among the top 100 |educational institutes in the world's first ranking of universities in 22 emerging economies.

The universities are King Mongkut’s University of Technology Thonburi (KMUTT); Mahidol University; Chiang Mai University, Chulalongkorn University and the Prince of Songkla University. They were ranked 29th, 52nd, 82nd, 85th, and 89th respectively.

Published by Times Higher Education, the ranking of |universities in 22 emerging economies offers analysis of higher |educational institutes from Brazil, to Russia, India, China and South Africa (BRIC). Thailand and Malaysia also feature in the rankings, as do an additional 17 emerging nations.

The ranking is based on the tried and tested range of 13 rigorous performance indicators used to create the world rankings, which cover all aspects of the modern university's core missions: teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook.

Phil Baty, editor of the Times Higher Education Rankings, believes the rankings for the five Thai universities is a positive step in boosting the country's image as a place to learn.

"There are signs of further progress as the government recognises the importance of globally competitive universities on economic development. Strong state backing for major international scholarship schemes, the development of new research and innovation agencies, and strengthening business support for research in the country are positive steps. It seems clear that Thailand is on an upward trajectory," he commented on the release of this new ranking

In the world's university rankings 2013-2014, only one Thai |university was ranked in the 350 top institutes. KMUTT sits in the 301-350 band. The four other Thai universities are not in the world's |university ranking.

In the ranking for emerging economies, KMUTT has been Southeast Asia's best ranked higher-educational institute. Thailand also fares well when compared with developing countries in the same region.

Only two Malaysian institutes have made it into the top 100 |destinations. Malaysia's National University of Malaysia takes the 77th spot and its Putra University is ranked 95. Although Indonesia is recognised as an emerging economy, none of its higher-educational institutes have made it to the inaugural ranking.

Of all the emerging economies, China boasts the best |achievements in higher-education quality if this ranking is used as the main indicator.

China's universities have taken the top two places, four of the top 10 and 23 of the top 100. Peking University is named the number one institution.

For more information on this ranking, visit: www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-09

Good to see this result when there is so much criticism of Thai education. It would be interesting to know the backgrounds of the students at KMUTT

Very various actually. Lots of Local Bangkokians and also lots of out of towners.

The level of dedication is much higher than that in uni's like Chula, where fame and money can bring you to the top.

Ps i never studied here, just lived next door for the last 8 years and have seen the uni grow in many aspects.

For the business I am in, I prefer any employee that studied at KMUTT over any other university, especially Chula and Mahidol, as they are often to arrogant to work with, and lack the knowledge they so think they have.

agree, these are kids who are on the right path, serious, bright, skilled, thinkers...unlike the snotty 'born to rule' ,think they're special lot from just over the river

20 years ago, I interviewed over 100 graduates from Thai Universities for jobs with my Company. Although they all had Bachelor Degrees and/or MBAs they could not answer simple questions on the subjects that they had qualifications for. For instance, the Electrical Engineers could not quote Ohms Law!. The Chemical Engineers could not give me the Chemicla Formula for common salt (NaCl). They only Graduate that impressed me was a graduate from King Mongkut Institute of Technology. Allthough he could not answer some of the questions on bridge design, he told me how he would go about getting the design information in order to complete the bridge design.

You quite often find Graduates from the Hi-so Universities that know nothing but have connections, employing graduates from King Mongkut to do the actual work.

There it is. The truth hurts. The universities here are 100% crap, I don't care what anybody says. Those are my words, not quoted posters of course :)

• Like 1

Good to see this result when there is so much criticism of Thai education. It would be interesting to know the backgrounds of the students at KMUTT

Very various actually. Lots of Local Bangkokians and also lots of out of towners.

The level of dedication is much higher than that in uni's like Chula, where fame and money can bring you to the top.

Ps i never studied here, just lived next door for the last 8 years and have seen the uni grow in many aspects.

For the business I am in, I prefer any employee that studied at KMUTT over any other university, especially Chula and Mahidol, as they are often to arrogant to work with, and lack the knowledge they so think they have.

agree, these are kids who are on the right path, serious, bright, skilled, thinkers...unlike the snotty 'born to rule' ,think they're special lot from just over the river

Over the river? Mahidol is in Salaya, in Nakhon Pathom.

Over the river? Mahidol is in Salaya, in Nakhon Pathom.

Yes, I was thinking TU and Chula ( both of which DO have some very bright kids and good research programs....but an awful lot of bottom-end hi-so hangers-on)

• Like 1

My wife graduated from King Mongkut Institute of Technology with a degree in Civil Engineering and then got a job at Khon Kaen Technical College as a teacher. Was a great help when we went to build our house. Contractors didn't know how to respond when she knew more about building than they did.

• Like 1

I am just waiting for the next good news: five Thai campuses picked in top-100 universities in the worlds emerging economies which are located in Southeast Asia but not in Vietnam, Malaysia, Cambodia, Singapore or Laos!

If you move the goalpost further and further, you might eventually score, big time!

Highest ranked in those SEA countries never colonised...Thailand does well

I am just waiting for the next good news: five Thai campuses picked in top-100 universities in the worlds emerging economies which are located in Southeast Asia but not in Vietnam, Malaysia, Cambodia, Singapore or Laos!

If you move the goalpost further and further, you might eventually score, big time!

Five Thai campuses are within the top ten in Thailand!

20 years ago, I interviewed over 100 graduates from Thai Universities for jobs with my Company

[...]

They only Graduate that impressed me was a graduate from King Mongkut Institute of Technology.

Interesting story, but I take it you don't know what a university ranking is. The overall all score does not say anything directly about the quality of graduates.

Have a look at the individual figures and you'll find that KMITT is doing rather badly in terms of "learning" and "internationalisation". All they have is shed lots of publications and research funding. In terms of inferring anything about graduate quality from this data set, KMITT is the worst out of these five, one might say.

post-155923-0-10660900-1386569311_thumb.

post-155923-0-74774600-1386569330_thumb.

post-155923-0-62506200-1386569893_thumb.

post-155923-0-95910400-1386569941_thumb.

post-155923-0-48693000-1386569956_thumb.

Edited by Morakot

Oh dear, Chula only comes in third out of the unis mentioned, a long way off KMUTT too.

Wonder how many of Somchai's little Chinese Princes and Princesses will react to this? biggrin.png

They won't care.

KMUTT does have a strong focus on industry links ( and has been quite successful in sourcing research funds ). They do have some international partnerships but don't bother too much with meaningless , inactive agreements with overseas institutions.

One of the reasons an undergrad program has little recognition...most Thai students need a masters before they are considered ready for a half-way decent job. Engineering education has been very weak....slowly getting better but still gets shrieks of laughter when discussed in Germany and other countries.

Yes and a typo in the very first para !

Leducation

Interesting that only 14 worse in the 'developing" categories,is seen good news by a writer and proof reader who "EDUCATION " they cannot even spell it !!cheesy.gif

They obviously didn't pay enough.

We used to put CVs from ALL Thai Unis straight in the bin and Ive red,vetted 100s before passing them on for serious posts,scholarships to Ivy League etc.

I personally know of the corruption in Universities here where rectors "used" girls to get better degrees, where foreign teachers holdaay pay was trousered ,where the Head of Hunamities had a fake degree and on and on,

No surprise to anyone who has worked here.

A foreign professor revealed how his work was plagiarised and instead of drummed out in shame he;s still there at the so called most prestigeous

The Isaan degree selling scams and on and on.

KMUT is different but a long way to go.

Why study when you can pay,play fot your advancement.

I wont name as they would sue or intimidate this website but brief internet research will confim this to those innocents abroad.

Such is the climate of impunity,cronyism,fake research,fake staff poor attendance ,absent proctors and of course exam subs,impersonation and plain fraud,cheating and dissimulation.

Slyam a Hub of Mirrors.Reflctive practioners and Used Auto Didacts,Eschew their diplomas as you would a dose.

Edited by RubbaJohnny
  • Like 1

Oh dear, Chula only comes in third out of the unis mentioned, a long way off KMUTT too.

Wonder how many of Somchai's little Chinese Princes and Princesses will react to this? biggrin.png

I'm at a loss how some students actually get into Chula, given their abysmal performance in my classes. e.g. students getting into architecture knowing very little in maths or physics....they did like to do pretty drawings in class though:) I guess the will employ themselves as 'interior designers' lol Then there were students getting into engineering programs in other universities, not having passed one maths exam at school. University graduate here appear have very little in the way of practical skills, perhaps bar those from KMUTT.

Students at an international school of my very good acquaintance, can get a place at any Thai university of their choice with 5 IGCSE's. - Not 'A' levels note: IGCE's - as long as they can afford the fees.

I.heard that. I took 6 GCSEs a year early...imagine going to university at 15. Lol

The level is so low it cannot really be understood by western levels.