Document translations

When submitting my partners tourist visa application, we would like to include along with other documents, four very short letters which are written in Thai. One from my partner, one from her son, one from her parents, and one from her employer. Are these short letters required to be translated? I know that official documents need to be translated but I'm not sure about supporting letters. Thanks.

Guemlum

Anecdotal evidence on this and other forums suggests that translations are not always necessary; after all the entry clearance office does employ Thai clerical staff.

However, the official guidance is that all documents not in English must be accompanied by a certified translation.

For the UK, certification by the translation bureau is sufficient, there is no need to have the translation certified by the Thai MFA.

When you say certified by "the translation bureau" I assume you mean the bureau of ones choice?

Whilst we are on the topic, do we also have to get birth certificates, and divorce certificate translated. They see these documents daily so they must recognise them. Never got them translated in the past.

Guemlum

Yes, the translation bureau of your choice.

Most bureaux in Bangkok will know what to do; the certificate should be stamped on the translation and contain the name, address and phone number of the bureau and the translator.

Yes, the ECOs do see lots of birth and marriage certificates etc.; but if the one's you present are in Thai and have no translation, how will they know that they are yours?

As I said, the official guidance is that all documents not in English must be accompanied by a translation; and they do seem to be stricter on this now than in the past.

Why risk a delay when translations are so cheap and easy to obtain?

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

You might want to reconsider the amount of documentation you are planning to submit, it's your partners application and it's up them how much to decide how much evidence they feel is required, but almost 300 pages seems a tad excessive for a visit visa.

Hmmm, I am going to be sponsoring her visa application so I'm only including what I have done on past experiences. I've heard of instances where the ECO has rejected an application based on the strength of the relationship. I have included 1 years worth of video call screenshots using the application Tango (perhaps too much?). Heres a breakdown of how I have organised my documents, but it really does cover the basics...

Introduction letter

1. Our relationship history.(Includes a covering letter as well as Tango video screenshots).
  2. Photos together, photos with my parents / her parents, and passport stamps/bookings/flights. (Exactly as it says)
  3. About Mr Jo Bloggs. (Includes passport identification page, proof of address)
  4. About Miss Jo Bloggs. (Includes passport indentification page, ID card, proof of address)
  5. Details of where Miss Jo Bloggs will stay in the United Kingdom. (Address details, photos of property, deeds to property, utility bills, sponsoring letter from my parents)
  6. My employment status. (Employer details and references, qualifications)
  7. My income. (Payslips, end of year accounts 2012-2013)
  8. Miss Jo Bloggs employment and finances. (Photos at work, qualifications, letter from employer, bank books)
  9. Suplementary documents. (Letter from her parents, letter from her son)
  10. Documents supplied by Miss Jo Bloggs supporting her return to Thailand.
  11. Original documents for returning. (Exactly as it says)

Guemlum

Edited by Guemlum

1) Covering letter briefly describing relationship history is fine; also explain how you communicate with each other. Don't need screen shots o f a years worthy of conversations! Just a couple of examples.

2) Dozen photos max. Your passports will show when you have visited her and when she has visited you; don't need previous flight bookings etc.

3) Copy your passport showing ID page and entry and exit stamps for when you have visited her and/or your immigration status in Thailand if you live there. Proof of your address not needed as you will be staying with your parents. Unless you live together in Thailand and so are showing this is so.

4) Copy of her ID card, yes. Copy of her passport, no as they will have the original. Proof of address not needed unless showing that you live together.

5) Address and invitation letter from your parents plus, if possible, proof that they own. Their letter should briefly describe the property; photos not needed. Utility bills not needed.

6) Not needed. Simply say in your sponsor's letter what your employment is.

7) Payslips can be useful, but all the ECO really wants to know is that there are sufficient funds for the visit; so last 6 months bank statements are more important.

8) Letter from her employer confirming she will still have her job on her return. Bank book useful to show funds; but not essential if you are bearing the full cost of the trip. Can also be useful in showing how often and how much money you send her; if you do. Photos of her at work not needed.

9) Not needed.

10) Such as? You have proof of her employment; what else? Proof that she owns land, if she does is about all. Family will not be considered a reason to return as many Thais work abroad and send money home to their families.

That's a great comparison...maybe it's just me but I like to include as much info as possible. I have probably over done it with the screen shot photos of video calls (probably 150 pages, so will cut back on that.

Item 10 is a tough one. She owns property on her parents land but the home is not shown on the Chanote.

We really cannot prove something we have not done yet. We both understand the problems that can arise of not returning to Thailand and have every intention of returning, especially as we plan to get married later in the year and do not want to jeopardise future applications. We have mentioned that in a few sections to our document.

Guemlum

That's a great comparison...maybe it's just me but I like to include as much info as possible. I have probably over done it with the screen shot photos of video calls (probably 150 pages, so will cut back on that.

Item 10 is a tough one. She owns property on her parents land but the home is not shown on the Chanote.

We really cannot prove something we have not done yet. We both understand the problems that can arise of not returning to Thailand and have every intention of returning, especially as we plan to get married later in the year and do not want to jeopardise future applications. We have mentioned that in a few sections to our document.

Guemlum

Guemlum

You've 'probably' over done it with 150 pages of screen shots !!?? biggrin.png Good luck anyway.

Edited by Rob180

150 pages of screenshots!

Yeah, cut back on that by about 145.

If all you have for her reason to return is her job and your desire not to adversely effect future applications, then that's all you can show. You can't prove the latter, just stress it in your sponsor's letter.

On the subject of the sponsor's letter, keep it short and to the point; two pages max.

I do believe that it is better to give the ECO too much than miss something vital; but you do seem to be going over the top. From what you say this is not her first application; did you really provide all this previously?

150 pages of screenshots!

Yeah, cut back on that by about 145.

If all you have for her reason to return is her job and your desire not to adversely effect future applications, then that's all you can show. You can't prove the latter, just stress it in your sponsor's letter.

On the subject of the sponsor's letter, keep it short and to the point; two pages max.

I do believe that it is better to give the ECO too much than miss something vital; but you do seem to be going over the top. From what you say this is not her first application; did you really provide all this previously?

I've cut back on 148 pages so far so looking slimmer. Yep, its basically job and not wanting to jeopordise future applications. We have stressed that in mine and her covering letters.

This is her first application. I was once married to a Thai before. We had successful tourist and spouse applications in the past (1 off each) and honoured the rules and regs back then. Unfortunately, 5 years ago she passed away whilst residing in the UK. We were true to our words in her returning to Thailand, however it was not in the manor we expected. It has taking me 4 years since the loss of my wife to start dating again, and over the past year I have been able to do so with a very special lady. It is her that we are applying for a Tourst visa.

Guemlum

Understand, and I'm sorry for your loss and it's good to hear that you've found someone new.

Although the settlement rules changed considerably in July 2012, the visit rules and requirements are essentially the same. So do what you did before and you should be fine.

Just keep it simple.

Edited by 7by7