Thailand PM eclipsed by controversial brother - Profile

Lite Beer

Thailand PM eclipsed by controversial brother - Profile
by Kelly MACNAMARA

BANGKOK, December 9, 2013 (AFP) - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has reached out to enemies as she tries to bridge Thailand's bitter political divide, but has failed to shed her image as a "puppet" for her polarising brother Thaksin.

Yingluck, who rode to electoral victory in 2011 on a surge of support for ousted former prime minister Thaksin, is facing a flood of anti-government protesters who have vowed to topple her and rid the country of her sibling's influence.

Thaksin, who was deposed by the military in 2006, is hugely divisive in Thai politics, broadly pitting his working-class and rural northeastern supporters against the elite and Bangkok middle class.

The billionaire tycoon-turned politician lives in self-imposed exile abroad, but is widely believed to be the guiding power behind his sister, whom he once referred to as his "clone".

Yingluck has adopted a policy of strict non-violence against the protesters and has called elections to try and defuse the tensions.

Observers said this was a landmark decision in a country accustomed to violent street unrest and deadly security responses -- including the bloody military action against pro-Thaksin "Red Shirt" rallies in 2010 under a previous government.

"I am very impressed. I thought she would have cracked up any time long before this," said analyst Chris Baker.

But the premier's efforts have been derided by opposition forces which have pledged to eradicate the "Thaksin regime".

The current rallies were sparked by an outpouring of anger at an amnesty proposal by the ruling party, since quashed by the Senate, that could have allowed the return of Thaksin from exile.

The former Thai premier lives in Dubai to avoid a jail term for corruption that he claims is politically motivated.

"The problem is still the Thaksin issue himself, the man himself. If you took that out then I think everything else is relatively manageable," said Baker, who co-authored a biography of the former leader.

Observers say Yingluck has reached out to the military and establishment forces that expelled her brother and helped unseat two subsequent pro-Thaksin governments in 2008.

"She has adopted a conciliatory line. She has never lapsed into the 'tough guy' persona that has marked many of her predecessors in power," said Michael Montesano at the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies in Singapore.

"And she has endured deeply offensive, sexist attacks with unfailing grace," he added.

The former businesswoman has recently sought to play down Thaksin's influence, aware of the visceral loathing he inspires among his enemies.

But as a political novice, who was thrust into the limelight two years ago, she was initially happy to boast of her links with her brother.

"Thaksin thinks, Puea Thai does" was a key mantra of her now-ruling party as it sought to capitalise on his popularity.

"We cannot deny the fact that she has been a puppet," said former Thai diplomat Pavin Chachavalpongpun, an associate professor at the Centre for Southeast Asian Studies at Japan's Kyoto University.

But he said the ruling party won a landslide in the last election on a campaign that specifically invoked Thaksin.

"It would only make sense that Yingluck would walk into the footsteps of Thaksin. I don't think there's anything wrong, if 15 million people are supporting you," he said.

Yingluck is seen as a conduit for Thaksin-inspired policies that have proved extremely popular among voters, who have swept him or his allies to power in every election since 2001.

But analysts said those very policies have exposed inadequacies in the government, with few heavyweights able to counter Thaksin's influence.

Baker said Yingluck's political weaknesses have translated into a number of flawed policies, notably a controversial water management project and a rice scheme that is hugely popular among rural constituents in the northeast, but seen as economically damaging.

"She is a good performer but I am not sure she is a good decision-maker," he said.

Yingluck, who graduated in political science before earning a masters degree in business administration at Kentucky State University in the United States, spent much of her career working in her brother's business empire.

The 46-year-old mother-of-one began as a trainee for one of Thaksin's firms in the 1990s.
She is a former president of the mobile telephone unit of Shin Corp, the telecoms giant founded by

Thaksin that was at the centre of a tax scandal over the sale of the family's shares in the group in 2006.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-12-09

Snap elections, sure.

Big bro Mr. T says, "hey, some satangs in the pockets of the rural, promises of better schemes than the rice fiasco + some domestic policy bones thrown and we're back in under a reelection ""democracy at work"", this time the amnesty thing works, I'm gold"

Thai public is over all this other than those donkeys making minimal off of the Thaksin theories of government.

• Like 2

About Yingluck's penetration.

I have not any political experience but when I have heard her amnesty bill plan I told she is crazy (or simple stupid) and she makes a political suicide.
My question: didin't see it? This was clear as the sun, and every-one knew except she.

So if you try to appricate her please only think about this full amatoeur step w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

• Like 1

She has my deep respect and has handled herself and her government adroitly and with dignity while under attack from a mob of political opportunists and one deranged, power drunk voice that leads them.

She remains to my view the best option in leadership Thailand has available to it.

The opposition offering nothing but shuck and a future quagmire for Thailand.

About Yingluck's penetration.

I have not any political experience but when I have heard her amnesty bill plan I told she is crazy (or simple stupid) and she makes a political suicide.

My question: didin't see it? This was clear as the sun, and every-one knew except she.

So if you try to appricate her please only think about this full amatoeur step w00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInI.gifw00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInI.gifw00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInI.gif

She has my deep respect and has handled herself and her government adroitly and with dignity while under attack from a mob of political opportunists and one deranged, power drunk voice that leads them.

She remains to my view the best option in leadership Thailand has available to it.

Well, what the article cannot really say is that she comes across as below-average intelligence, it's not just her inexperience or Thaksin's shadow, every time she opens her mouth she strikes me as hopelessly out of her depth, parroting some press statement and prone to gaffes.The overriding impression most educated Thais have is that she is 'stupid', of course, for 'the majority' of Thais this evidently isn't a problem.

You are welcome to your opinion, which does not make what you're saying true or a commonly held opinion except among people trying to destroy her.

Reg: If you want to join the People's Front of Judea, you have to really hate the Romans.

Brian: I do!

Reg: Oh yeah, how much?

Brian: A lot!

Reg: Right, you're in.

And apparently a handful of Thais and foreigners ready to follow them like lemming over the cliff into rudderless chaos.

• Like 1

Well, what the article cannot really say is that she comes across as below-average intelligence, it's not just her inexperience or Thaksin's shadow, every time she opens her mouth she strikes me as hopelessly out of her depth, parroting some press statement and prone to gaffes.The overriding impression most educated Thais have is that she is 'stupid', of course, for 'the majority' of Thais this evidently isn't a problem.

You should work on your English first before insulting her intelligence,

Edited by marinediscoking

How can you shed the image of a Puppet when first thing she did was re instate Thaksin's passport, then she pushes through an amnesty for him.

We all know who was pulling the strings.

I guess the 'caretaker' government will not touch this as it's 'controversial'? So Thaksin can keep his passport issued End of October 2011 with a larger prt of Thailand and Thais flooded a wee bit longer?

Does that implies that unless you speak perfect english you are not allowed to voice your opinion? Is english your first language?

Can we talk about her leadership skills? No?

Can we talk about her vision for the country? No?

Can we talk about her statesmanship? No?

Can we talk about her ideology? No?

Can we talk about her principles? No?

Can we talk about her beliefs in the AEC? No?

Can we talk about her proposals for Asean's role in the South China Sea dispute? No?

Can we ... ?

You might as well be biting clouds (an old opium smoking expression).

You can't convince people with tunnel vision.

Wrong, my friend. There are many many red shirts who have become disgusted with their Divine Leader in Absentia and especially the farce over the corrupt amnesty bill.

They woke up and smelled the coffee.....

....only it wasn't coffee they'd been fed....

• Like 2

She's still a hottie, puppet or no...lol

"And she has endured deeply offensive, sexist attacks with unfailing grace," I agree too. And I must admit, she is my favorite Thai PM.

poppet
Chiefly British, meaning a darling.

A small child, a doll, a puppet.

She's such a darling, little poppet.

Why? The ability to speak English or any other language is not a measure of intelligence on its own.

Why? The ability to speak English or any other language is not a measure of intelligence on its own.

Agree, sometimes its more intelligent to shut up...whistling.gif But for this jobs, intelligence is not needed, enough you can lie and do what boss tell you...There is a joke about Thai brain and why it very expensive on the market, much more than german brain, for example. Its never used...laugh.png

If the ptp yingluck supporters on here really had any interest in truth or justice about this female,then the fact she issued a passport to a convicted criminal fugitive should make it easy to form a view based on the facts .Then again most of the lackies who follow her have no interest in justice or politics being cleansed in thailand . May the protesters keep fighting on and I know I'd be with them if I was Thai,thankfully I'm not.

Edited by kingalfred
  • Like 2