Car Rental In Hua Hin

craigt3365

Can somebody recommend a place to rent a car in HH? And what the price would be? I am coming down from Bangkok but don't really want to rent here. I plan to spend a few days on the beach, then head south to Bang Saphan, etc.

I would appreciate the help!

Craig

Craig

Im just back from Hua Hin. I got a minibus from BKK to Hua Hin, and then hired a car locally. There is one car hire firm (I think it was Budget) - one of the big names anyway. It was located about 1.5 km south of Hua Hin, near Village Market and just past one of the night markets. It was a standard car hire place. I think the rate was about 1500 baht for a car per day. You could of course pay less for more days, and more for a better car.

I didnt hire from here, but instead from a local guy who has a tour/trips stall. It was 1200 baht a day for 7 days. The only problem with this is I probably wasnt insured, and on reflection I would probably go with Budget the next time.

Driving was very easy there. The cars are automatic. The only problem with driving is it takes all the senses of Thailand away. A motorbike is so much better fun. You enjoy the sounds, the smells, the heat. A car with the aircon on, takes all that away. It was just like been at home.

Have a good trip

Blamamber

Before I relocated here permanently in December 2003, for about 3-4 years I was "commuting," spending 7-10 days here every 2-3 months, and I always rented a car. I rented upon arrival in Bangkok, but spent most of my time here in Phetchaburi.

I tried them all, the majors and the minors, the foreigners and the locals. I never had a really bad experience, but my problem with the locals was that while less expensive, their vehicles always had at least 100k on the clock, often 150k. They ran well enough, but I was apprehensive about emergency situations. And as mentioned above, I was never sure about insurance.

I evetually settled on Budget, which has excellent pick-up and drop-off services at Don Muang, and also at Hua Hin. I found (by web searching) that by making advanced reservations through a New Zealand based tour operator, I could get prices that were as low as those offered by the locals.

Excellent point. I rented a car from a shady operator in Chiang Mai. It was an old car, and I had taken out insurance. When rolling the window down one day, it just went all the down very fast and broke. Shattered all over my GF. We were in Mae Hong Son and had to get back to CM with a broken window. Then, he charged me $50...saying that was not covered by insurance and it was my fault. I tried to argue with him, but after an hour of shouting, decided to give up.

So, you are probably right...Budget would be a good option...

Thanks!

Craig