Thai drivers licence renewal

stephenb465

I’m looking at renewing my Thai drivers licence and have a couple of concerns

I’m currently on an one year temporary licence, expires on 11 march 2014

I arrive into Thailand on the 28 Feb 2014

I obtained the licence in Pattaya, with Pattaya address on the licence

I travel to Thailand every 5 weeks, therefore I obtain a tourist visa on arrival (30 days)

My question is:

Can I renew my licence in Chiang Mai? Or do I have to travel down to pattaya?

Would I get 5 years renewal on my current visa even in Chiang Mai? if I renewed it after the 11 march

If I can get my licence renewed in CM, do I need doctors certificate and residential letter and immigration documentation

many thanks

Stephen

Officially you need a one year visa of some sort to change from a 1 year to a 5 year. No difference if you change after the expiry date.

I am like you in that I have been travelling every 5 weeks and not staying longer than a couple of weeks so only needed a visa waiver (do you mean tourist visa or visa waiver?). I am now on my third one year licence. I tried very hard in Pattaya to get a 5 year but could not manage it.

Pattaya no issue to get a Immigration residence certificate on a visa waiver if you have some form of proof of address but no idea about CM. Suggest you have a look at the pinned thread in the motor forum for any recent experiences.

Seems to me there is a lot of work just to get the one year drivers licence, and then repeat that every year.

As I travel to Thailand every 5 weeks, makes me wander if it's worth getting a long visa just so I can get the 5 year drivers licence.

It's really a crap shoot what the local office will do. Some will issue 5 year licences willy nilly, others like my local one, even though I have a long stay visa won't. Then again, why would you deprive yourself of the entertainment value of spending a half day watching Thai's struggle with the brake pedal and depth of vision tests?.....Priceless

One thing I would say, I thought they all required the letter of residence from immigration, which I thought required something more than a tourist entry stamp

In CM all "farangs" have to use the Hang Dong DLT (Department of Land Transportation) office. The "lady" there dealing with farangs is very //censored//. Her favorite line is "caannooot". First time I thought it is something personnel, but I whitnessed another farang dealing with her in Thai and the line was "miiidaaaai". But finally I got my 5-year-motorcycle-licence.

2 years ago I moved to Lamphun province. The DLT there is great. When I had the papers complete (expired 1-year-d/l, medical and residencial certificate) to renew my temporary car d/l, it took 5 minutes overall even I have a "everytime upon renewal do driving test again-endorsement" on my d/ls. No driving test, no 3D-test. Only colour blindness and reaction.

Verdict: CM (Hang Dong) is a pain in the a##, Lamphun a walk in the park. So expect challenges in CM.

Edited by khrab

A letter from Thai Immigration or local Amphur will suffice, although the latter will require a signature from a guarantor.

Sitting a formal test normally isn't asked of anyone from Europe, in possession of a current full driver license. I only needed to take a 'test' to prove reaction speed. It lasted a few seconds and I passed : )

Incidentally, my 1 year license lapsed a full 10 months before I realised. I went to the license office with relevant documentation and was issued a new license with 6 full years validity and no penalty for late renewal. Result !

i went in last time for my 5 year licence in pattaya a week after a mate and he told me they didnt require a medical certificate any more. seems they did need one for me so went back a day later to be told that i was too late for a new licence (2pm). went back the 3rd day and got my 5 year even tho i failed the reaction test due to somchai standing in front of the green light.........oh hum

Phuket transportation department only will issue a 5 year DL when you have a long term visa/extension.

VOA / Tourist Visa etc will only get a 1 year temporary DL.

Besides this it is a easy process (at least in my case) Expired DL, Medical, Certificate of residence from Immigration.

Only color , reaction test and sometimes the boring video are required.

Have you tried the brown envelope trick for the 5 year licence, if it works, let us know please. by the way, Merry Christmas to one and all.

Not possible where i get my 5 year licence, also whats the point? i just took my full U.K licence my passport plus my wifes house register and a couple of minutes later i had a brake test (sat on a chair), watched a Thai safety movie for 30 mins whilst they printed my licence for baht 300..

I wouldnt risk a brown envelope as you may have the Thai police taking you for a driving lesson to the station.

Do you think I'd complicate things if I got my resident letter from my condo in pattaya and get immigration in Chiang Mai to give me the appropriate paperwork so I can apply for a renewal of my driver’s licence.

I'm asking this because on my next visit to Thailand, I'd prefer not to travel to pattaya with the sole purpose of obtaining my drivers licence, but to travel straight to Chiang Mai

Did my 5 year at the Pattaya LTO a few weeks back. They needed a medical certificate (original, not copy), residence certificate (original, not copy). I was 1 day early (can renew 3 months out), so they made me come back and all went smoothly from that point. I went early (8:15 am), so was first in the farng line. It was a mess after me for sure...loooong lines and long wait time to process paperwork. :-(

Thanks Chicowoodduck,

My licence expires on the 11 march, Given that you get three months to renew your licence, I'll leave it to my break after march which would be April.

Then I'll take time out and visit Pattaya and renew it then as I'll have no problems in getting the residence certificate from my condo

thanks for the helpful information every one.

Officially you need a one year visa of some sort to change from a 1 year to a 5 year. No difference if you change after the expiry date.

I am like you in that I have been travelling every 5 weeks and not staying longer than a couple of weeks so only needed a visa waiver (do you mean tourist visa or visa waiver?). I am now on my third one year licence. I tried very hard in Pattaya to get a 5 year but could not manage it.

Pattaya no issue to get a Immigration residence certificate on a visa waiver if you have some form of proof of address but no idea about CM. Suggest you have a look at the pinned thread in the motor forum for any recent experiences.

Sorry I disagree. You cannot get a five year licence now if you have a 1 year extension, even if you live here.

Sorry I disagree. You cannot get a five year licence now if you have a 1 year extension, even if you live here.

A non-immigrant visa extension is standard 1 year, and that is required to get the 5 year license.

• Like 1

Most previous posters, and most on the other very long pinned thread, have said otherwise so would you care to elucidate on your reasons? If it was from personal experience and you could detail which office and why then others can perhaps learn from it?

• Like 1

Hmm. I live on a retirement extension here since 2010 and I got a five-year-licence (motorcycle) at CM and a five-year-licence (car) in Lamphun, see also my previous post.

• Like 1

Thanks Chicowoodduck,

My licence expires on the 11 march, Given that you get three months to renew your licence, I'll leave it to my break after march which would be April.

Then I'll take time out and visit Pattaya and renew it then as I'll have no problems in getting the residence certificate from my condo

thanks for the helpful information every one.

Just make sure you have the original of BOTH the medical and the residence certificate....they would not accept my copies. :-(

My 1 year expired the middle of February, so went in 3 months early to get my 5 year. :-)