Visa for Thai wife to accompany British husband to Australia

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice as my question is a little bit different than some of the search results I was able to find.

I am a UK national under age 30 and was thinking next year of heading over to Australia where I have a friend who could set me up with some good salary work for around four months. I would be applying for the 'Working Holiday Visa' and after checking it out it would seem I am eligible.

I am married to a Thai national (we live in Thailand at the moment) and we have two son's aged 2 months and 16 months. My wife is the same age and we have been married for 18 months (all official paperwork etc).

I am happy to head over to Australia alone for the short period to work but I had the idea of maybe bringing my wife with me. I was wondering what are the chances of her being able to some sort of fruit picking work for the duration that I'm there too? The kids would stay with the grandparents.

Just looking for some advice if anyone has done a similar thing before thumbsup.gif

Thanks for any help!

Provided your dependent children do not accompany eiher you or your wife to Australia, your Thai wife might be eligible for a Subclass 462 "Work and Holiday" visa.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/visa-options.htm

This is similar to the standard Subclass 417 "Working Holiday" visa that you may be eligible for, but with some exceptions:

1) Your wife must have a degree

2) She will not be eligible for a one-year extension for working in regional Australia for more that 88 days in the same way that Subclass 417 "Working Holiday" visa holders are

3) She needs a letter of invitation - the visa rules will tell you which Thai government agency to get this from

4) Subclass 462 "Work and Holiday" visas have a cap of 500 visas per year for Thai citizens, although this has not been reached in previous years. See here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/statistics/pdf/working-holiday-report-jun13.pdf

You and your wife may also get asked what provisions you have made to support and care for your dependent children while you are both in Australia.

If your wife does not meet the requirements, then she may be eligible for a tourist visa, depending on your collective circumstances.

Edited by Thanet
  • Like 1