Understanding Thai Politics

chiangmaisurprise

This is very complicated topic. Im trying to wrap my head around what the heck is really going on!

Ive been following Thai politics for a little over a year now. Not long at all. So, I've been drowning in articles and research that has left many unanswered question and a cloud of confusion. Ive been trying to push away all the conflicting arguments and accusations and come to some sort of personal conclusion about who I actually support in all of this.

The more I read, the more I watch, and the more I hear, only leads me to not particularly liking either party. Having read many posts here on ThaiVisa, Its apparent that we are just as divided as the country itself when it comes to choosing a side.

So maybe this topic can help by answering 2 simple questions:

• Why support Suthep/Abhisit and the People Democratic Reform Committee?
  • Why support Yingluck/Thaksin and the Pheu Thai Party?

Notice I asked "Why"
I'm not interested in all the negatives. The finger pointing is whats making the water muddy. I'm interested in learning what's the best side for Thailand.
As it stands, and I know I might be burned alive at the stake for this, I'm leaning towards the Shinawatra side of the house.

Let the fun begin.

Sadly no party in this country is good. But at the last election everyone who told me who they voted for told me they voted for the Dems because they were the only credible opposition to PT. At least the Dems understand economics and would not have done most of the things that PT have and they do not have a big brother on the run pulling the strings ( though you could argue there are people pulling the strings but you could argue this theory of any party anywhere in the world )...

Notice I asked "Why"

The better question is WHY farang care so much about Thai politics?

You obviously saw my picture and know, as you put it, a "Farang"! And, in that picture sits my Fiance who shares a life with me in Chiang Mai a city I love in a country I'm learning to love and understand. Its my right and my duty to know, understand and educate myself about a country I choose to be a part of. Not that I need to vote or even have a say in whats right and whats wrong with Thailand. But I have a right and Im entitled to seek out a personal opinion on Thai Politics, whether you agree or not.

He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.

There are no good reasons to support either party. And you might change your mind about what rights you have in this country. Doesn't matter if you're married or not, rights are not something we have here

Geeez sounds like you are describing North Korea. Im sorry but I disagree! You do have certain rights in Thailand. I have a right to own a condo, I have a right to marry a beautiful Thai girl, I have a right to have a Thai drivers license and I have the right to the internet (mostly free) that grants me access to these forums. I also have a right to leave Thailand if I feel the government is unsafe. But to clarify, I wasn't referring to those rights. I was referring to the right to have a personal opinion. Everyone has that right.

Edited by chiangmaisurprise

There are no good reasons to support either party. And you might change your mind about what rights you have in this country. Doesn't matter if you're married or not, rights are not something we have here

Geeez sounds like you are describing North Korea. Im sorry but I disagree! You do have certain rights in Thailand. I have a right to own a condo, I have a right to marry a beautiful Thai girl, I have a right to have a Thai drivers license and I have the right to the internet (mostly free) that grants me access to these forums. I also have a right to leave Thailand if I feel the government is unsafe. But to clarify, I wasn't referring to those rights. I was referring to the right to have a personal opinion. Everyone has that right.

Your right

Literally all those rights(except to leave, that IS a right) you have described are, in fact, privileges, not rights. And check up on the censorship laws in Thailand and you'll see what I'm talking about. But you're new here, I think you'll figure it out for yourself soon enough. You of course do have a right to have an opinion, but that's not much of an argument and I was never suggesting that you had no right to that