name change for child in uk

hi,

not sure where to put this one.

i have my wife & her daughter living with me in the uk & we have now just had a baby also.

my wifes daughter is 11 years old & is settling in the uk really well & has made plenty of friends.

one night she was writing down all our names including the dogs with my surname & hers of course with my wifes maden name (which is her surname as she had no contact with her biological thai father soon after her birth).

i said to her would you like to have the same surname as the rest of us & she said yes.

so can anyone help in finding how to go about doing this as i would like to do this before we one day apply for uk passports for them both.

thanks in advance.

I paid £35 plus vat with solicitor for change of name deed for daughter in UK when I got married so that we all had the same surname. I also let her choose a middle name to make her more involved as she did not have one. I think you can do the name change yourself over the internet or at a local magistrates court.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I paid £35 plus vat with solicitor for change of name deed for daughter in UK when I got married so that we all had the same surname. I also let her choose a middle name to make her more involved as she did not have one. I think you can do the name change yourself over the internet or at a local magistrates court.

You can get 30 minutes free advice from any Solicitors from the UK phone book. Or go to the Citizens Advice (CAB) For an appointment of free advice. You have to make an appointment so that they can arrange your appointment with the expert in your field!

NB. Most reasonable size towns in the UK have CABs.

• Like 2

Yes you can get free around 15 to 30 minute appointments but if you have a solicitor draw up the change of name deed you will have to pay for it.

Also look at deedpoll.org.uk this will have all the info you need.

• Like 1

thanks for the prompt reply.

can you clarify how to do this & also how does this affect her thai passport .

I just made an appointment with solicitor and it was done do quick and easy when I applied for daughters new passport sent off deed with old passport but my daughter is from UK so can not advice on Thai passport sorry !

Also when I did send it off the passport office did ring me and ask me if I got fathers permission to change name as daughter had his surname on birth certificate, I told them I had no contact in years and I was only one with parental responsibility needless to say passport was issued with no issues.