For color blindness do they use Ishihara test at every location?

Thanks so much for the replies. I am even more confused. I am red green color bind.

In the US military they only use the Ishihara test.

Some Americans tell me that they never saw the Ishihara test in thailand.

others are telling me something else.

I want to play it safe legally because I heard of an american ( not color blind) getting in an accident and being sued for a fatal accident which was not the american's fault.

the american finally gave up on thailand and went back to US.

I can see red if it is by itself.I can see every color if they are not mixed.

The test consists of a number of colored plates, called Ishihara plates, each of which contains a circle of dots appearing randomized in color and size. Within the pattern are dots which form a number or shape clearly visible to those with normal color vision, and invisible, or difficult to see, to those with a red-green color vision defect, or the other way around.

thanks so much for the replies.

I've had two medicial tests to get the certificate for my Licence.

The first one cost me 30 Baht, the Dr didn't even bother to see me, nor the receptionist do any tests ... 1 year ago. Gave me the clearance.

This year, different Clinic, cost 40 Baht, did the tests as you describe them, the Doctor did the interview.

Nothing at the Driving/Testing centre to have done.

plate%2Bwith%2B2-768148.jpg

OP ... can you see the image in this?

So, if you want to get around the system, then just Doctor shop till you find one that doesn't do the test.

How can a doctor pass you for your licence? Yes, you do need a medical, but you still have to do the colour blindness test when you sit for your licence. AFAIK it's mandatory to do the test at the Transport Office, along with a reaction test and a periphery vision test.

• Like 2

How can a doctor pass you for your licence? Yes, you do need a medical, but you still have to do the colour blindness test when you sit for your licence. AFAIK it's mandatory to do the test at the Transport Office, along with a reaction test and a periphery vision test.

I concur.

I did the 'reaction test and a periphery vision test' ... but didn't have to redo the colour blindness test ... this was maybe 4 or 5 months ago, so fairly recent. Samut Prakan.

That said, there could have been a note on my Medical Clearance that the Dr had preformed it already?

I did the 'reaction test and a periphery vision test' ... but didn't have to redo the colour blindness test ... this was maybe 4 or 5 months ago, so fairly recent. Samut Prakan.

That said, there could have been a note on my Medical Clearance that the Dr had preformed it already?

I would say that is an exception.

Fairly standard practice is that you do have to take the colour blindness test as well.

• Like 2

OP - where are you based?

In Pattaya at the Chonburi Drivers License Issuing centre they do an LED light test. There are three lights and they show the colours independently from different light. So if you can see a red, green, or yellow LED light by itself, you would be OK there.

When I got my medical certificate, the doctor asked me if I had anything wrong with me that would prevent me from holding a drivers' licence. I obviously answered "no" and got the certificate.

He didn't even make eye contact, so he missed the frothing of the mouth, eyepatch on one eye, and the other one so bloodshot that even soi dogs run away from me in terror. whistling.gif

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 2

Fairly standard practice is that you do have to take the colour blindness test as well.

Do you know what ... I'm wrong ... sorry.gif (I don't think I've ever used that one before!)

Remembering back, Gsxnrz posted something about LED's and Traffic lights and I do remember doing that at the testing centre.

Please ignore what I posted this time ... geeze, I'm way to young to even call that a 'Senior Moment'.

I'm off to check my medication ... goof.gif

• Like 2

Do you know what ... I'm wrong ... sorry.gif (I don't think I've ever used that one before!)

Remembering back, Gsxnrz posted something about LED's and Traffic lights and I do remember doing that at the testing centre.

Please ignore what I posted this time ... geeze, I'm way to young to even call that a 'Senior Moment'.

I'm off to check my medication ... goof.gif

Don't put the Glock to your head too soon David!!! They used the wall chart until about 6 or 9 months ago or thereabouts.

And even then, it wasn't a true colour blindness check. The chart had a lot of different sized circles all of varying shades of red, yellow and Green and she simply pointed a stick at a particular circle and you had to say what it was. I confused the woman when I got my first licence because I added the shade to my answers, as in light green, dark red, dark orange etc. She took about 6 answers and then said loudly "Only 3 colour. Red, yellow, green. No light. Up to you."

I passed, but I was laughing inside so much I'm sure I got a couple wrong. Often wondered if she wasn't a tad colour blind herself. whistling.gif

• Like 1

I agree

Edit: At least as per a couple of years ago, seems as things may have changed.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

A wee story when I was at the Doctors Clinic doing the Colour Blind Test.

Now this place was the size of a small bedroom with seating for maybe 20 people and, as the queue got bigger, you simply sat outside and after writing your name in pencil in the school style exercise book, waiting to be called.

This was just outside Bangkok, but I can tell you, being a snow white ass here is still a novelty ... they do treat you a bit special.

I'm sure I jumped the que a bit (except for the sick kids) and I got called up for the colour blind test ... at the front counter.

In the reception area, which was standing room only, you couldn't swing a kitten, let alone a cat, when the white boy gets called up ... people stop talking and listen in with intent as what ailed me.

So, when the cards were presented for Guesstimation, I decided to try my incredibly poor Thai counting numbers.

2 - song ... easy

7 - jeb ... easy (not tone correct ... but she understood)

26 - oh F*** ... is that song zip hok, zip hok song ... pregnant pause ... is she thinking that I can't read the number ... or that my Thai really is that crap.

All up, maybe 7 or 8 cards.

When I had successfully completed that task, I was ushered to the Doctors office, past the waiting patients ... to a man (or woman) ... they gave me a big smile.

There are still some pockets in Thailand where Farangs are a novelty and we get a bit of favourable special treatment.

My experience in getting my Drivers Licence was even better ... but that's a story for a later time.

• Like 1

In my case the medical test is the usual document from a clinic that you declare yourself not to be an alcoholic or have elephantitis, no colour test required. At the testing centre they have the big chart that Gsxrnz describes. Easy to pass but as I said, the pheriphary test was what screwed me up.

I have another 5 years to renew but seriously considering a pair of these for the next time...

http://wearecolorblind.com/article/oxy-iso-glasses-review/

26 - oh F*** ... is that song zip hok, zip hok song ... pregnant pause ... is she thinking that I can't read the number ... or that my Thai really is that crap.

You answered "2 16" and then "16 2"... I wonder, do you know how old your GF really is? biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

26 can be said, yee-sip hok, or sao-hok, hehe ;)

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

26 - oh F*** ... is that song zip hok, zip hok song ... pregnant pause ... is she thinking that I can't read the number ... or that my Thai really is that crap..

You answered "2 16" and then "16 2"... I wonder, do you know how old your GF really is? biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

26 can be said, yee-sip hok, or sao-hok, hehe wink.png

Mate, I did get all the numbers right* ... but there were long pauses while I constructed the words in my head.

As the gf ... MissFarmGirl ... she's in her 30's (but looks much younger ... honey, just in case you're reading this and not supervising the Bedroom Build) ... so easy peezy for those numbers ... whistling.gif

* the numbers used for illustration purposes only ... biggrin.png

Edited by David48

26 - oh F*** ... is that song zip hok, zip hok song ... pregnant pause ... is she thinking that I can't read the number ... or that my Thai really is that crap..

26 can be said, yee-sip hok, or sao-hok, hehe wink.png

Mate, I did get all the numbers right* ... but there were long pauses while I constructed the words in my head.

As the gf ... MissFarmGirl ... she's in her 30's (but looks much younger ... honey, just in case you're reading this and not supervising the Bedroom Build) ... so easy peezy for those numbers ... whistling.gif

* the numbers used for illustration purposes only ... biggrin.png

Basically the OP I think is out for sympathy so OK. sad.png

And you have lost me. laugh.pnglaugh.pngfacepalm.gif

I answered in another post about this, what my son did was learnt what colour he was seeing, simple not rocket science.

As for Thai girls looking much younger, !!! Why did we end up here the reason escapes me. blink.png

I got hold of the ishihara test and then memorised the plates and numbers ,, a bit of work but now easy to pass even though i have a red green bias ,

I have driving here for over 10 years on thai DL,s ie 1 year and into my 2nd 5 year renewal and I am red/green deficient and can't pass the Ishihara but had no problem with the thai DMV colour vision tests they do

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

When I did my first licence in 2008 they hit me up with the Ishihara test. Luckily the tester didn't speak English so my wife translated. I told her to say what she saw and not what I said. I passed.

A few months ago I went for a renewal but it was one big poster sized page similar to Ishihara but they only asked me to recognise the traffic light colours. Pass again.

I have zero problems day to day with colours, only that Ishihara book.

• 3 weeks later...

What happens if you do not pass the Ishihara test ? I would have no chance of passing.

When I obtained my Japanese licence, they showed me first the Ishihara - and when I could not recognize anything they showed me two plates - one with a big red dot and one with a big green dot. I passed this one without any problem. Anything like that in Thailand ?

In Europe it is not regarded necessary to pass the Ishihara for a "normal" drivers licence. Pilots for example need to pass.

Where can you obtain the Ishihara test as a whole - seems to be a standard (?). I would then like to learn the numbers via the shapes.

Edited by moogradod