Requirements for change of ownership of a car

Carlosm

I have been in contact with someone selling a truck which i wish to buy. I asked them if they had all the required documents for change of ownership inlcluding the document from the British Consulate showing their residency which i have always had to use when putting the vehicle into my name. They said that they did not need it as they had a work permit and a copy of this would sufice.

I dont actually know if it does or not nor have i ever heard of this being used, so, does anyony know if it can be used instead of the letter of residency from the Consulate ?

Well, I have been going through car registration HELL for the past 2 weeks. I admit I was new to this, so I bought a used car here in Pattaya and received from the farang seller copy of his passport, work permit, visa and signed transfer doc's. So... I think everyting is good and go over to the registration office by Regent school. I have the vehicle inspected and go inside, but I am told that since the car is registered in Bangkok, Cannot register! They say I must go to Chonburi. OK, next day I go to Chonburi and I try to register. Cannot! They look at paperwork and see that date on visa is going to expire in 2 days and not enough time to transfer! SO, I then go back to seller and he gives me his new 1 month extension on his visa. Then yesterday I go back to Chonburi with paperwork and they still refused to transfer vehicle and register!! Now they are saying that address on Work permit is not good enough, because they want proof of home address of seller. I tried to explain that the address is right on the front of the permit, but they say he must go to police and get residency letter. I am now really getting #%$&$ off. Has anyone ever experienced any problem like this? It seems that there is no firm law here...everything is left up to the whim of petty clerks to decide.

inlcluding the document from the British Consulate showing their residency which i have always had to use

Required is residence certificate, obtainable from immigration or embassy/consulate or workpermit or housebook.

Well, I have been going through car registration HELL for the past 2 weeks. I admit I was new to this, so I bought a used car here in Pattaya and received from the farang seller copy of his passport, work permit, visa and signed transfer doc's. So... I think everyting is good and go over to the registration office by Regent school. I have the vehicle inspected and go inside, but I am told that since the car is registered in Bangkok, Cannot register! They say I must go to Chonburi. OK, next day I go to Chonburi and I try to register. Cannot! They look at paperwork and see that date on visa is going to expire in 2 days and not enough time to transfer! SO, I then go back to seller and he gives me his new 1 month extension on his visa. Then yesterday I go back to Chonburi with paperwork and they still refused to transfer vehicle and register!! Now they are saying that address on Work permit is not good enough, because they want proof of home address of seller. I tried to explain that the address is right on the front of the permit, but they say he must go to police and get residency letter. I am now really getting #%$&$ off. Has anyone ever experienced any problem like this? It seems that there is no firm law here...everything is left up to the whim of petty clerks to decide.

Same thing at Chonburi for me. Car bought in Sri Racha from a man who was selling it for someone from Chiang Mahi. The girl at reception thought it couldn't be done then went to ask the man who wasn't sure but then said yes ok.

Regarding the work permit, my wife asked them what I needed first and was told a work permit and letter of residency and passport (copies). When went to get the copies done the girl copying said they don't want to see a work permit and no one ever asked for it.

Letter of residency at Chonburi from immigration. 300 baht. Don't get one from the embassay I think when I did for marriage it cost several thousand. Needed wifes ID card and house book to get it.

Still got to do the test/ numbers check so hopefully things don't change.