Visa Case On Bbc "look North"

Just seen an item on BBC's "Look North" which has me a little worried. As I understand it, a pregnant Thai lady married to a Lincolnshire man is facing deportation because they don't have sufficient paperwork to support her residency (?) visa application. I think they've been told they need at least eight documents such as tenancy agreements, bank statements, etc, with her name and address on them. Is that correct? Apologies if I've misunderstood something, as I didn't catch all that was on the TV story.

Edited by Trebilcock

I don't live in the Look North region and didn't see the programme and know nothing of the circumstances of the case. Therefore I do not wish to comment on this case specifically.

However.

When the time comes to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain this is done by completing Form SET(M). You will have to provide evidence that you have continued to live together for the entire 2 years of the settlement visa or FLR. You will need 10 letters of a quasi official nature for each of the 2 years. These letters can be bank statements, utility bills, letters from government departments etc. and should be addressed to both of you. If you cannot supply 10 letters addressed to you both jointly (and who can?) then letters addressed to each are acceptable, but no more than 6 addressed to one and no less than 4 addressed to the other.

For full details and a longer list of acceptable documents, see Section 7 , note 4 of Form SET(M).

The number of documents required by the Home Office in relation to indefinite leave applications is arbitrary. Nowhere in the immigration rules does it state that x amount of papers from each year is necessary in order to qualify for indefinite leave. The requirement of the rules is to satisfy the caseworker that you have been living together as husband and wife for the preceding 2 years. It does not stipulate how this should be done. Indeed, the documents which the Home Office request manifest nothing other than that those letters were sent to that address.

Now, I don't know the circumstances of this couple's case, but if the lady has been refused solely because she did not supply the requisite number of Home Office-prescribed documents, then I'd say that'd be easily overturned at appeal. However, there may be other factors, of which we are not aware, which have influenced the Home Office decision.

Cheers,

Scouse.

For those who are interested, the Look North programme can be viewed by accessing this link:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/looknorthhull/

and clicking on the option to "watch the latest edition". The relevant segment is 8 mins into the programme, but don't fast forward otherwise you'll miss a riveting piece about car parking charges in Spalding.

Scouse.

For those who are interested, the Look North programme can be viewed by accessing this link:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/looknorthhull/

and clicking on the option to "watch the latest edition". The relevant segment is 8 mins into the programme, but don't fast forward otherwise you'll miss a riveting piece about car parking charges in Spalding.

Scouse.

By the way it's actually 3 minutes 50ish seconds in . . 8 minutes is the weather!

She has been refused ILR but they still have the appeal so not all is lost.

By the way it's actually 3 minutes 50ish seconds in . . 8 minutes is the weather!

The website links to the latest broadcast, so it was 8 mins in last night but 3 mins in this morning.

The piece will probably drop off the radar all together when the next update occurs.

Scouse.

I don't live in the Look North region and didn't see the programme and know nothing of the circumstances of the case. Therefore I do not wish to comment on this case specifically.

................................................................................

If i may say so i think your first paragraph is very diplomatically put without predjudice.

It,s refreshing to see this without some negative comment.

Having said that the visa section guys always give fair related comment along with usual helpful advice.

In my humble opinion, nice one.

Not looking for brownie points by the way, just giving my reaction on reading the posts.

As someone from the Look North region, thanks.

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags