Showbags

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<deleted> is Thainess? I have never heard of Americaness or Aussieness

With 3,200+ posts you're asking what is Thainess bah.gif

I agree you won't hear of "Americaness or Aussieness" because we don't go in for all that shyt.

Thainess is a back up for when there is no other answer (or fall back position) when they are lost as to how to explain the unexplainable.

Edited by johnlandy

I am so Thai I left Thailand to seek a better life.
But that does not mean you have to leave your Thainess behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Well, I still don't use toilet paper...

How do you dry yourself?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

<deleted> is Thainess? I have never heard of Americaness or Aussieness

With 3,200+ posts you're asking what is Thainess bah.gif

I agree you won't hear of "Americaness or Aussieness" because we don't go in for all that shyt.

Thainess is a back up for when there is no other answer (or fall back position) when they are lost as to how to explain the unexplainable.

Well, not quite the same thing, but there is the concept of the American Way / American Way of Life which Americans will be familiar with. It is related to the loaded concept of American exceptionalism. Obama's comment about that was that all countries think they are exceptional which was taken as not sufficiently patriotic by some, so go figure!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_way

Edited by Jingthing

I find, with remarkable consistency, that the people who bring up the word "Thainess" are the same people who would bring up the words "Thai apologist." You know, the miserable farangs who can't cut it in Thailand so they have to cut down the Thais. OP, go back under your bridge--or rock if you prefer!

coffee1.gif ...Thai- apologist much, huh?!

Thanks for proving my point, you quack....eh Doc.

I am so Thai I left Thailand to seek a better life.
But that does not mean you have to leave your Thainess behind.

Well, I still don't use toilet paper...

How do you dry yourself?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am sorry I am a bit slow on the language. What do you mean by that?

Pretty much non existant.

I dont wear colour co-ordinated shirts or wrist bands depending on which day of the week it is, come to think of it, I dont own or wear, yellow, pink or sky blue shirts.

I dont ride the free #60 big red bus.

I dont eat at road side noodle stalls.

I dont eat kao man gai.

I dont drink bia Chang or lao kao.

I dont wai non movable objects/statues sited at road side junctions, ever witnessed a bus as it whizzes by the statue at Bang Kapi crossroads, its like the Mexican Wave starting at the front to the bus to the back, watch the heads go down.

I dont have any sak yant.

I dont wear 3 month old manky pieces of string on my wrist.

There is no spirit house located in the garden.

There is no black baby being worshipped in the house.

Feel free to add others I may have forgotten, sorry "Thainess" aint my strong point.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif The question did not ask you to make a list of perceptions that would define its author as an obnoxious, ignorant lout and all around misfit. However...clap2.gif

I should hope non existent. There is nothing about Thai people that I would want to assimilate myself. Not saying I am perfect though.

Why are here???????????????

Is cheap beer your yardstick in life?

If you try real hard I bet even you can think of one attribute of Thai people that is to be admired/emulated.

He's a sexpat. He's here for the hookers. Nothing else matters.

Great song by Metallica.

Whilst there are many things about Thai culture and the whole "Thainess" thing which really annoy me, I am gradually learning to be more tolerant and respect the fact that I am in their country and need to make allowances and even show respect in some cases rather than sticking to my western views of what is considered socially incorrect or just plain unethical.

I no longer toot the horn when getting cut off in traffic or nearly taken out by a pickup truck coming through a red light. I don't get upset with the double pricing or being referred to as "farang" and I argue less with the wife and now have adopted a policy of discussing any "arguments" about 3 days after the event so as to enable some reasonability to prevail as opposed to the buffalo like objections I get in the heat of the moment.

We will NEVER be Thai,... we can conform. comply and tolerate,.. or we can also pretend to be more Thai than we really are or ever could be but at least we can be more respectful and tolerant and that in itself garners reciprocal respect and just makes the living here all that more pleasant!

• Like 2

What a saaad situation you are in... To be in a country where there is nothing about the people that interests you. Are you sure about being in Thailand? Perhaps some other place in the world would be better for you?

I should hope non existent. There is nothing about Thai people that I would want to assimilate myself. Not saying I am perfect though.

• Like 1

I'm staying in BKK at the moment with my stepson. His room is about 15mins walk from the nearest shops in Lat Phrao. Yesterday I was going for my daily walk when a car stopped beside me and a well dressed middle aged thai woman asked me if I wanted a lift to the shops. She couldn't speak any English, but I think must have seen me on other days and probably lives nearby. Now I'm a fairly big guy and I was carrying a metal walking stick with me. The combination of a large farlang and the walking stick could certainly look intimidating to a small thai woman in the back streets of Lat Phrao. But I was bowled over by the kindness of this lady. Later in the day another young woman offered to carry my shopping over an overhead walking bridge. Maybe it was a good pherenome day.

"Metal stick" you say.....

Edited by draftvader

No, it doesn't because all other cultures lie about something or another... You just have to ask the right agency - lie that to which Snowden was employed in who would say, no we are not listening in to your phone conversations. No we are not spying on your prime minister, no we are not listening to the phone conversations of his holy father the pope... No, it doesn't.

Does regularly lying my ass off count as a clear sign of integration into the Thai society?

For the sake of sillyness i will entertain this thread:

i ride sontaews

i weird ooooeeeiiiii noises when i get a fright, rather than oh f***, s***, c***

i prefer to sit and eat on the floor

i eat weird crap

i drink lao kao

i find myself cold in the mornings in Isaan

i like sleeping on the floor or any other hard surface

i like sleeping with the sausage pillow between my legs

I think that is about it.

• Like 1

About som tam : it's not really down to how often you eat it, but more to how much chili you like to have in it !

yes.. That's where the term pok pok reportedly came from as either the sound of the motar and pestle hitting together, or the sound of your head hitting the table repeatedly from the 14 chiles in the SomTam.

About som tam : it's not really down to how often you eat it, but more to how much chili you like to have in it !

yes.. That's where the term pok pok reportedly came from as either the sound of the motar and pestle hitting together, or the sound of your head hitting the table repeatedly from the 14 chiles in the SomTam.

Som Tam is for pussies, real men eat kua kling.

Is that what this thread is about "wanna be Thai's"!.....ain't gonna happen because no matter how much thai food you eat, dress like them or even read/write Thai. You as a farang will never get near being "THai"....I'd like to hear what others think "Thainess" is because its such a unique thing to Thai's that brings together there culture, education, work ethic , survival instincts, communal spirit etc That in the ten years I've been here I have barely scratch the edges of what Thainess is .....only to the point that I know it exists...Oh wellwai.gif

It exists alright, but even Thai's don't know what it is - like the make up of a black hole in space

Well, let's see.

I like people with soft voices and have quieted down myself when I speak.

I don't argue, especially not with Thais. Rather I joke with them

When I greet many Thai I wai and say politely Sawadee krab.

When I address a Thai person I say Non Krab, They are always younger than I am

When I want something, I say: "Maybe I could have..........."

When I get the wrong thing, I take responsibility. I speak very little Thai and the miscommunication I suppose is mostly my fault.

When I don't get what I want, I say softly kob khun krab and leave.

I believe this is the country of the Thais, their laws and rules.

I don't believe they are stupid, although I do sometimes get frustrated about their ways of doing things. But....it's their country

The noise level is very, very hard to take............

I like their non cursing, non aggressive approach in most things. I find the degree of governmental corruption disgusting

I want to get along with them, but I also tease them and we often laugh together.

An easy going country - in most things - and generally very friendly. Thank you Thailand. smile.png

I have been here for more than 10 years in retirement in the Bangkok outskirts.

I agree, but "I like their non cursing, non aggressive approach in most things" - you haven't met my wife !!!!

• Like 1

Your wife probably learned that from your kind... before she met you perhaps...

Well, let's see.

I like people with soft voices and have quieted down myself when I speak.

I don't argue, especially not with Thais. Rather I joke with them

When I greet many Thai I wai and say politely Sawadee krab.

When I address a Thai person I say Non Krab, They are always younger than I am

When I want something, I say: "Maybe I could have..........."

When I get the wrong thing, I take responsibility. I speak very little Thai and the miscommunication I suppose is mostly my fault.

When I don't get what I want, I say softly kob khun krab and leave.

I believe this is the country of the Thais, their laws and rules.

I don't believe they are stupid, although I do sometimes get frustrated about their ways of doing things. But....it's their country

The noise level is very, very hard to take............

I like their non cursing, non aggressive approach in most things. I find the degree of governmental corruption disgusting

I want to get along with them, but I also tease them and we often laugh together.

An easy going country - in most things - and generally very friendly. Thank you Thailand. smile.png

I have been here for more than 10 years in retirement in the Bangkok outskirts.

I agree, but "I like their non cursing, non aggressive approach in most things" - you haven't met my wife !!!!

For the sake of sillyness i will entertain this thread:

i ride sontaews

i weird ooooeeeiiiii noises when i get a fright, rather than oh f***, s***, c***

i prefer to sit and eat on the floor

i eat weird crap

i drink lao kao

i find myself cold in the mornings in Isaan

i like sleeping on the floor or any other hard surface

i like sleeping with the sausage pillow between my legs

I think that is about it.

Also own 3 morhams,5 paakimas,and can cook at least two simple Thai dishes.

I find, with remarkable consistency, that the people who bring up the word "Thainess" are the same people who would bring up the words "Thai apologist." You know, the miserable farangs who can't cut it in Thailand so they have to cut down the Thais. OP, go back under your bridge--or rock if you prefer!

coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif pagespeed_url_hash=2220208811 width=32 height=24> ...Thai- apologist much, huh?!

I do actually have several pet rocks....hundreds in fact...how could he possibly know that.