WD faulty disk

PeterSmiles

End of 2010 I buy a 1.5 Tb WD hdd with a 5 year warranty from hardware house. I add it in a server which is rarely switched on, maybe 5 times a year , but after little over 2 years the disk fails.That was early this year.

I take it back to Hwh and they exchange it for me, took about a month. Still the server is used rarely and when I switch it on last week the same disk doesn't spin up.

Call WD directly and they tell me I can send it to them and they will replace it in 2 days as they have them in stock. I also know if you go there by yourself they change the disk on the spot.

So sent it WD service center and call them up today to know if they have sent it back already.Friendly lady tells me that she had to check with Hwh if the disk still was under warranty, because her system showed it was out of warranty already as it is a refurbished disk but that got cleared up already, and she now expects she will receive the replacement disk by Monday after which she will send it to me.

So why does WD have to receive the replacement disk from somewhere if it concerns a disk bought at Hwh ? Doesn't that sound like Hwh house sells a "special" grade of disks ?

normally you can put in the number of the drive on the WD webpage and it shows the warranty. Also for the refurbished ones.

And no matter where it was bought. Maybe someone forgot to put the refurbished on into the database?

normally you can put in the number of the drive on the WD webpage and it shows the warranty. Also for the refurbished ones.

And no matter where it was bought. Maybe someone forgot to put the refurbished on into the database?

There is no problem with the warranty, it is honored by WD, the strange thing is that for this particular case they have to receive the replacement disk from somewhere else before they can send it to me.

If I had a brand that failed twice in a row, I'd bin it and swap brands. In fact, that's exactly what I did to a couple of a certain brand of drives that were still under warranty.

It's just too time consuming and too much data is at risk when a drive goes belly up. Haven't had one fail since I changed brands over a year ago- closer to 2.

There's another recent thread about drive failures- I won't mention the brands- you'll have to search for the thread..

I have found WD to be good about replacing faulty disks

I had one fail about one year into a 2 year guarantee, it was replaced promptly

Then the second disk failed just before the end of the 2 years

Again it was replaced without question

But could I trust that new disk................................ :whistling:

• Like 1

Received a replacement disk from Western Digital yesterday, which was dead on arrival.

Called them up, they said they would call me back in 10 minutes. After 1 hour no call, so i call back myself and get the answer that the person speaking English is not in the office, however I hear them mentioning my name to her.

So call immediately back with another phone and she answers the phone. Will call me back in 10 minutes.......she said an hour ago.

Just have to love customer service in Thailand.

So here I am with a defective disk with still 2 years warranty, which is simply ignored by Western Digital customer service.

In short buy new Western Digital disk which fails after little usage, receive replacement disk which fails after little usage, receive replacement again which is dead on arrival and further warranty refused.

For all clarity, I have a bunch of Seagate disks in the same server setup which don't fail.

Received a replacement disk from Western Digital yesterday, which was dead on arrival.

Called them up, they said they would call me back in 10 minutes. After 1 hour no call, so i call back myself and get the answer that the person speaking English is not in the office, however I hear them mentioning my name to her.

So call immediately back with another phone and she answers the phone. Will call me back in 10 minutes.......she said an hour ago.

Just have to love customer service in Thailand.

So here I am with a defective disk with still 2 years warranty, which is simply ignored by Western Digital customer service.

In short buy new Western Digital disk which fails after little usage, receive replacement disk which fails after little usage, receive replacement again which is dead on arrival and further warranty refused.

For all clarity, I have a bunch of Seagate disks in the same server setup which don't fail.

I have 15 WD disks here....after several replaces you get on that lasts crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

Bought an hitachi instead, not knowing that hitachi is also WD....it also failed after a couple of month.

From now on only Seagate.

(but I have to admit I have a few small Laptop WD drives and they didn't fail (yet))

I have to admit that I have had WD failures. Blue and Green. My WD Black is still going strong at 3 years, having spent 90% of that time as my main drive. It is now my data drive as I have a Samsung 840 SSD as my main. Nice set up.

My HTPC has a Kingston SSD as the main and a 2TB Seagate as the data drive.

The latest WD failure (Blue, 1.5 years) was a straight, 2 min, swap in Panthip. Using the replacement as a backup drive with regular inspections with the WD diagnostics programme.