Question about possible HRT Therapy

beautifulthailand99

Hi there - never started a thread on the ladies section but I'm sure there is a wealth of talent and knowledge on here. My wife is 52 and just starting to go through the menopause - her periods are becoming more erratic and she has slight memory problems and a loss of libido. In the UK we went to the GP and they did some tests and said everything was normal for her age and said the current thinking was as there a slight increase in the risk of breast cancer it was better just to accept the natural consequences of ageing and live with it.

Looking around a number of forums including mumsnet and the inevitable Wikipedia the collective wisdom seems to be that if you are in your early 50s , aren't overweight , don't smoke and don't drink much then the benefits far outweigh the possible negatives. With this in mind does anyone here have any first or even second-hand knowledge. If so could they recommend a good doctor in Bangkok that we could see. Many thanks in advance for any help or insight anyone can provide.,

It is hypothesized (but not proven) that bio-identical hormone replacement would not present the risks that use of the synthetic do. There is data to suggest that the increased risks found in studies was attributable to the synthetic progestin used. Aside from being the likely culoprit in terms of risks, synthetoc progetsins are awful and have many unpleasant side efects and there is no reason on earth (other than profit factors for the pharm industry) to use a synthetic progestin rather than actual progesterone. Thanks to thr studies which scared women off synthetic progestins several pharma companies have started to market actual progesterone.

i suggest you google a bit first on bioidentical hormone replacement.

Problem is that very, very few Thai doctors are knowledgable about this and almost all would put her on the synthetics. If you can afford it, I think there are some at VitaLife (the Bumrungrad anti-aging place) who know something about bioidentical HRT. Frankly all the western women I know in Thailand of "that age", myself included, just DIY.

BTW you mention your wife's loss of libido. It may be an actual loss of desire but very often the problem is actual discomfort due to the tissue "down there" getting dry and starting to atrophy, which can make sex downright painful. Many Asian women suffer this in silence and simply avoid sex, either not knowing it can be treated or being too shy to discuss it with a doctor. For that, a topical preparation works wonders. The most commonly used in Thailand is Premarin cream which is a synthetic (made from horse estrogen, actually), but bio-identical preparation are also available e.g. Vagifem, Ovestin. Topical estrogens have not been linked to any health risks.

• Like 1

It is hypothesized (but not proven) that bio-identical hormone replacement would not present the risks that use of the synthetic do. There is data to suggest that the increased risks found in studies was attributable to the synthetic progestin used. Aside from being the likely culoprit in terms of risks, synthetoc progetsins are awful and have many unpleasant side efects and there is no reason on earth (other than profit factors for the pharm industry) to use a synthetic progestin rather than actual progesterone. Thanks to thr studies which scared women off synthetic progestins several pharma companies have started to market actual progesterone.

i suggest you google a bit first on bioidentical hormone replacement.

Problem is that very, very few Thai doctors are knowledgable about this and almost all would put her on the synthetics. If you can afford it, I think there are some at VitaLife (the Bumrungrad anti-aging place) who know something about bioidentical HRT. Frankly all the western women I know in Thailand of "that age", myself included, just DIY.

BTW you mention your wife's loss of libido. It may be an actual loss of desire but very often the problem is actual discomfort due to the tissue "down there" getting dry and starting to atrophy, which can make sex downright painful. Many Asian women suffer this in silence and simply avoid sex, either not knowing it can be treated or being too shy to discuss it with a doctor. For that, a topical preparation works wonders. The most commonly used in Thailand is Premarin cream which is a synthetic (made from horse estrogen, actually), but bio-identical preparation are also available e.g. Vagifem, Ovestin. Topical estrogens have not been linked to any health risks.

Many thanks Sheryl for your knowledegeable reply. I will pass this onto her but am currently trying to persduade her to get in the system in the UK where ongoing tests can be performed and her health can be monitored before jumping in and getting some drugs from Thailand to take back . I have heard in the UK they want to see symptoms that would require this for good therapeutic reasons rather than a lifestyle choice. Seeing a good doctor at Bumumgrad would be a good option though as she will be able to have a detailed overview in Thai which weill inform our choices when we get back to the UK after 2 months. And you are right about the vaginal dryness.