400,000 tourists cancel travels to Thailand

webfact

Tourists drop over 20% now

IMGP9667-728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The president of the Association of Domestic Travel says tourists have now dropped by over 20% as the result of the ongoing political unrest in the country.

Association president Yoothachai Sunthornratanavej said that the current political turmoil from street demonstrations and news photos showing the use of tear gas on demonstrators had scared away tourists.

He said that earlier tourists have just put off their travels, and adopting a wait-and-see of the development of the protest situation in Thailand.

But now as protests dragged on and violence broke out, they had cancelled the trips to Thailand.

He said more than 20% of tourists have dropped or up to 400,000 have cancelled travels to Thailand.

Meanwhile domestic travelers also have no mood for travels and some of them instead participated in the demonstrations.

He said the drop of tourist travels this year was much higher than when the Suvarnabhumit airport was forced to close three days by protesters in 2008. He said the tourism industry recovered fast from the airport closure, but for this year’s prolonged protest, he said he did not know how long it could recover.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tourists-drop-20-now/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=tourists-drop-20-now

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2013-12-14

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fewer Chinese tourist arrivals likely
Bamrung Amnatcharoenrit
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The number of foreign-tourist arrivals is projected to remain unchanged at about 26 million - and revenue at around Bt1.2 trillion - next year if the political tension continues through to March, Tourism and Sports Ministry permanent secretary Suwat Sitthilor said yesterday.

The chaos would hit performance in the first quarter, which is a high season for tourism, especially with Chinese New Year at the end of January.

He said new legislation imposed by the Chinese government aimed at curbing outbound zero-dollar tours would also be a major factor denting tourism arrivals.

Especially during Chinese New Year, many first-time Chinese travellers are expected to shift their focus to other countries, while the number of regular tourists would see a slight drop, he added.

Since October, the number of Chinese visitors to the Kingdom has fallen by about 400,000 compared with the corresponding period last year. Of the total, 300,000 potential visitors were hit by the new law and 100,000 did not come because of the Thai political crisis.

The number of Chinese arrivals was originally projected at 4.7 million for the full year. According to statistics released yesterday by the Tourism and Sports Ministry, the number of Chinese arrivals via 30 immigration gates nationwide from January to November was about 4.411 million.

There were 445,184 Chinese visitors in July, 497,766 in August, 471,356 in September, 309,497 in October and 355,103 in November.

Over the first 11 months, the total number of foreign-tourist arrivals posted a year-on-year increase of 21.18 per cent to 24.137 million. The ministry believes the number will reach 26 million for the whole year.

Big hopes have been pinned on the sector as a major driver of the national economy at a time when export momentum has slowed significantly.

Tourism revenue expanded 21.7 per cent year on year to about Bt1.05 trillion from January to November.

The ministry announced activities during the end-year festive season to boost tourism vitality, foremost among these being the "Thailand Brand Sales" campaign, scheduled to run from December 16 to February 15.

As finance minister, Kittiratt Na-Ranong had agreed in principle and also promised to consider cutting import duties to help promote sales. However, the House of Representatives was dissolved last Monday and such an initiative was shelved.

As caretaker tourism minister, however, Somsak Pureesrisak has attempted to push ahead with the idea.

Suwat said the first priority for the country was to restore tourists' confidence, as such an event would not bear fruit if confidence were still low.

There should then be roadshows in growth markets such as Eastern European and Arab nations to attract visitors, he suggested.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-14

"Since October, the number of Chinese visitors to the Kingdom has fallen by about 400,000 compared with the corresponding period last year. Of the total, 300,000 potential visitors were hit by the new law and 100,000 did not come because of the Thai political crisis."

"DEC 5: "Increasing visitor numbers from Asian markets, fuelled by higher aviation capacity, have pushed annual international tourist arrivals to Australia up by 5.4 per cent, according to peak national industry body Tourism & Transport Forum.....“Increased Asian visitation accounts for 69 per cent of the overall rise in international tourist arrivals, with China alone accounting for a third of that growth,”

New Zealand "A spokeswoman for tourist operator AJ Hackett said they had noticed a big increase in the number of Asian tourists - "particularly from China". "We definitely see more Chinese through than we have in the past."

"Japan also logged a 74 percent jump in October arrivals from China compared with a year earlier."

Seems that Chinese tourist are voting with their feet and bypassing Thailand for alternative destinations, even Japan.

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

Just wait till Myanmar is discovered, unspoilt beaches!

... and poor roads, dodgy airlines, unreliable electricity, expensive accommodation, rampant corruption, dual pricing, military oppression, antiquated banking system &c. &c..

And that's overlooking moral issues such as slavery, oppression of minority groups, and the fact that much of your money ends up in the hands of the military elite and their chums.

Much as I love Burma and its people, I think it's going to be a long time before it's going to represent a significant threat to Thailand's tourist industry.

You forgot the hotel prices that are out of this world. A lady I know generally goes to Burma every year before coming to Chiang Mai this year she decided against it because of the hotel pricing and availability. Plus its a crap hole and I can speak from experience as I have been there.

• Like 1

Yesterday i spoke to 3 hotel GMs i know. They're all running at about 70-80% and consider that to be fortunate given the situation. Luckily they host a lot of large corporate functions who paid big deposits therefore don't cancel.

Never in recorded history has there been such miserable people as those in THIS here thread....lol. I bet your home countries are glad you all left............lol.

One doesnt need to be an EINSTEIN to see that the protest r keeping tourist(horny n NON-horny ones away).

Edited by oogster8
  • Like 1

Just wait till Myanmar is discovered, unspoilt beaches!

... and poor roads, dodgy airlines, unreliable electricity, expensive accommodation, rampant corruption, dual pricing, military oppression, antiquated banking system &c. &c..

And that's overlooking moral issues such as slavery, oppression of minority groups, and the fact that much of your money ends up in the hands of the military elite and their chums.

Much as I love Burma and its people, I think it's going to be a long time before it's going to represent a significant threat to Thailand's tourist industry.

Unreliable electricity. That's Thailand in the sticks to a T, as is poor roads.

• Like 1

"More strange numbers, the president of the Association of Domestic Travel ( Yoothachai Sunthornratanavej) says tourists have now dropped by over 20%....or up to 400,000 have cancelled travels to Thailand."

That would indicate that 2,000,000 overseas tourist were expected

However, he reports in the Jakarta Post that......."The tourism industry has felt the pinch of the protests since last month. The number of foreign arrivals between the end of November and mid-December was 400,000 short of the normal figure for this time of year. Normally, the monthly arrival figures are about 2.5 million during this period."

Then we have this media release from TAT..........."Sugree Sithivanich, deputy governor for marketing communications at the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), said its overseas offices had reported no trip cancellations to Thailand, though offices in Europe have yet to send their reports."

Seems one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing.

Just think of a number!!

Well as TAT have said in another thread they are still confident of meeting their target and smashing records again this year. Just need 200+ extra tourists per week on top for the rest of the yeah.

Nothing to worry about TAT always reach their objective without fail.

P.S TAT, Tourists haven't simply put of their travels to Thailand, they have gone elsewhere in S/E Asia and it's a growing trend with cleaner beaches, less assaults and scams etc.

always been an avid believer that thaland has so much to offer and would eventually see a reasonable level of common sense and less short sighted and greedy but starting to think otherwise.. What's Vietnam like????

"He said the drop of tourist travels this year was much higher than when the Suvarnabhumit airport was forced to close three days by protesters in 2008"

the BKK airport was closed not for 3 days, but for 9 days - from 25.11 till 3.12. Don Muang airport was closed from 26.11 till 5.12.

tourists are scared, that with the escalating demands from protesters and their impunity, they would repeat their tactic in bangkok, phuket and other airports

i should have arrived in Thailand yesterday,but i cancelled and put back until feb 6,this had nothing to do with the protests,i had work commitments.No protest will keep me away Thailand.i have no fear from protesters,if any off them laid 1 finger on me,i would snap their neck,i would probably get killed,but i will take as many of them with me so i can bash the hell out of them in the after life.......I love Thailandwai2.gif

• Like 1