house maids is it worth it?

romeijoe

Hi all just wanting to hear from otheres as to their thoughts regards having a maid live in.

My wife has a hard time keeping up with the house work, as the home is quite large.

We are thinking of bringing a myanmar maid over for a trail, does anyone have regard this subject, any ideas experience or bad stories we would be very happy to hear them from you

thanks in advance

We've had mixed experiences. We had a really good lady from Laos. She was a widow with small children, went back for a holiday and married a local teacher. She still keeps in regular contact. We had a good lady from Cambodia - her husband worked on our mobaan security. He got a better factory job and she left to be with him. She was really good with our kids too,

We had a couple of Thais. One was lazy, clumsy and broke loads of things. She would stay out late and then get into the "locked house" without a key! We fired her, and then learnt she was also having affairs with a couple of married Thai guys on the estate! Her replacement lasted one day - not sure she realized she would have to do any work !!

The last one was from Burma. Her mum and uncle are local builders laborers. She was young, but really good with the kids, playing with them. My son is disabled and she really looked after him well. Downside, she would lie on the sofa watching TV when we weren't there - got caught a few times. Then she stole my wife's mobile phone. She got caught using it in the garden a few weeks later. Lots of tears and promises. We gave her a second chance and agreed if she was good we would give her a raise in six months and also start some education programs to help her. Sadly, the thieving started again and we discovered a lot of missing things in her room. Her mum was mortified as she's worked for 15 years here with no problems. Local police came and gave her a good telling off, put the handcuffs on and pretended she would be arrested. We all hope this warning would be enough and her mum sent he back to Burma.

Not bothered since then. It seems really hard to find the right person whose also happy with you.

IMHO better to sell the house, down size the house wise and skip the maid. Of course there are good maids but the biggest majority are anything from mediocre to a royal pain in the arse. That's one of the reasons I never have a large house. #1 No maid required, #2 no room for relatives. Sorry folks no roombiggrin.png

• Like 2

If you currently do the cleaning yourself then you would probably find that getting a cleaner that comes in once a week for a whole day would be sufficient.

We have had a lady come every Wednesday for the last 18 months, she works from 8 till 5 and thoroughly cleans the whole house and around the house, she does a great job and charges just 350 baht.. we give her an additional 150 because she showers our 2 dogs. It's hard to imagine how we would get on without her now, but I would not like a live in cleaner.

Are you in the Pattaya area? We are looking for a once a week maid to do exactly what yours does.

I think the key is, to have the best cleaning supplies and instruct them in the proper use. Get all the details hashed out and make them comfy with good communication to their home country. Shy from the ones separated from their loved ones.

Nanny cams and other monitoring devices are good ideas too.

• Like 1

Have only had good experience with live-in maids/nanny/au pair. We only have younger ones (girls), most of them Thai, one from Cambodia and one from Lao; only problem with youngsters is that they quickly wish to move on, mainly because of education/school, one because of marriage (sad, probably lao kao drinking Isaan-mum could get a sin sot); she stayed with us for about three month only, the others for a year. Now we have an outstanding good maid from Lao, she has been with us four years and is planning two more before she wish to get married. Came original from a building constructer team where she was working with her parents, but they thought it was too hard work for their daughter. We had work permit etc. arranged at the district employment office (or whatever is the correct name).

We have been treating all our maids more like an “au pair” and as a part of the family, without no one changed not knowing and doing their duties (and more) without being told first, which have worked very well and might be one of reasons for success; however also encouraged some to get back to school – sad for us loosing a maid, but very good for the girls.

smile.png

• Like 1

Pro: It is really nice to have somebody in the house whose job is only to keep the house in order (in out case, laundry, dishes, yard, and house).

Con: If you stay home a lot, there might be a lot of instances in which you have to work around the domestic, such as using a different bathroom because one is being cleaned, similarly, with the kitchen and other facilities on the property.

Con: Even a domestic with an honest heart may be tempted to pilfer small amounts of money, bits of clothing and such. Or something more serious.

Con: The domestic is likely to discuss your property and what's in it, you comings and goings, etc. to friends and that can result in increased risk of theft or robbery.

You get the idea. It was great having a housekeeper, but it was actually a relief when she called one Sunday and said that she decided to do something else and would not be coming in on Monday.

Our girl comes once a week and in 4 hours or so cleans the 170 sq meter condo, does laundry and whatever else needs doing. we pay 400 but we started with that number when she also would cook a pot of food and leave it on the stove. Its prob high but we know her a long time and like and trust her 100%. She was able to find doc's in the wifes file cabinet and fax them to her when she was in Tokyo, etc.

Years ago, when single living in small place and traveling a lot, my needs were minor. I hired a slightly disabled girl in my soi who I had seen in the shops etc. She told me she was a maid. Two months later, I came back from a biz trip and found she had stolen $600 in cash that was hidden fairly well, in a file cabinet that is full of work files. Buddha amulet, gold chain, and more. $2000 or so. I walked over to her place, got the key and told her I was moving and did not need services anymore. Changed the locks and let it go.

• Like 1

I agree with all the 'be careful' advice, and would add to be sure you have or build separate maid's quarters that cannot access the main house. She sleeps there at night so you are safe. And you can lock the house whenever you want to leave. Just have a security guy check the house to see if there are security weaknesses that need to be corrected.

We don't want a live-in maid considering all the potential problems, so we have a day maid once a week. Works great for us.

A good live-in maid is like gold, I'd recommend it. But not everyone likes having a semi-stranger in the house with them. Unless you find someone who has been referred, you might try a live-out first and see how you like it.

I keep asking my wife to find a young, sexy maid to keep the house clean.

Up to now she's brought 3 different old hugs.

Don't know what's the matter with her? Doesn't she want a clean house????

She want a clean house alright but she don't want a sexy young maid there for you to chase after ,,,than no work gets done ,,,only in the bedroom,,,,, !!!!! :))

If you currently do the cleaning yourself then you would probably find that getting a cleaner that comes in once a week for a whole day would be sufficient.

We have had a lady come every Wednesday for the last 18 months, she works from 8 till 5 and thoroughly cleans the whole house and around the house, she does a great job and charges just 350 baht.. we give her an additional 150 because she showers our 2 dogs. It's hard to imagine how we would get on without her now, but I would not like a live in cleaner.

Are you in the Pattaya area? We are looking for a once a week maid to do exactly what yours does.

In Pattaya I'd happily would like to have one too for once a week. Even less work for her (150 m² condominium).

I agree with all the 'be careful' advice, and would add to be sure you have or build separate maid's quarters that cannot access the main house. She sleeps there at night so you are safe. And you can lock the house whenever you want to leave. Just have a security guy check the house to see if there are security weaknesses that need to be corrected.

We don't want a live-in maid considering all the potential problems, so we have a day maid once a week. Works great for us.

Most maids prefer live out because they say, some employers still ask them to work even if they are supposed to rest.

We have a married couple living and working in our house.

She is doing the cleaning etc and he is a kind of handy man who maintains everything.

We are very happy with them and i don't have to much any more. smile.png

But it can be difficult to find a good person who is reliable and you can trust.

You are lucky.

And if anybody finds someone reliable maid, take care of her because reliable ones are rare.

But sometimes employers do not appreciate what their made have done to them. They look at maids like not human but just slaves. Let's try to think they are just unlucky ones but still be treated as human.

I had 2 maids before who took care of our twins and other house chores.

I considered them like my older and younger sisters. We entrusted everything to them because we go to work.

We have a married couple living and working in our house.

She is doing the cleaning etc and he is a kind of handy man who maintains everything.

We are very happy with them and i don't have to much any more. smile.png

But it can be difficult to find a good person who is reliable and you can trust.

You are lucky.

And if anybody finds someone reliable maid, take care of her because reliable ones are rare.

But sometimes employers do not appreciate what their made have done to them. They look at maids like not human but just slaves. Let's try to think they are just unlucky ones but still be treated as human.

I had 2 maids before who took care of our twins and other house chores.

I considered them like my older and younger sisters. We entrusted everything to them because we go to work.

Yes i think we are lucky.

But we threat them the same as anybody else and regard them as our friends.

We also pay the normal salary of 9000 Baht a month each plus free living and eating. ( this helps also )

• Like 1