Google Mail Will Not Accept Zip Files

astral

I just tried to send a programme to a friend, all nicely zipped up.

We both have Gmail addresses

GMail would not let me send it, so I tried another e-mail service and got a message

back from Gmail to say it could not be delivered. Illegal file type on both occasions.

I know some e-mail services will not allow EXE files, but ZIP as well?

That is taking it a bit far.

I guess I have to rename the file as TXT

I just tried to send a programme to a friend, all nicely zipped up.

We both have Gmail addresses

GMail would not let me send it, so I tried another e-mail service and got a message

back from Gmail to say it could not be delivered. Illegal file type on both occasions.

I know some e-mail services will not allow EXE files, but ZIP as well?

That is taking it a bit far.

I guess I have to rename the file as TXT

If they are only using MIME for detection it should work but if they use any content scanning software probably won't. Won't hurt to try of course. :o

I had no trouble sending a zip file to my Gmail account either from Gmail to itself or from an outside address. Standard zip "folder" that I created with Windows XP built in functionality and didn't change the extension.

One thing kind of strange with Gmail is that depending on what language you use, it changes the various options available. For instance, chat is available on the main page in English, but change to Thai and you can't do that. In fact the option pages are completely different so that as far as I can tell you can't even activate chat when in Thai.

Perhaps like hotmail, Google restricts the account if you're in Thailand or something similar.