Pick Pocket on Sukhumvit/Asoke - Beware

Green

I was robbed tonight, about 3am while walking just past the family mart after Sukumvit 23, but before soi 25, past the old California fitness which is now Starbucks. Fortunately he only got an old pack of cigarettes, but this is what happened: Motorcycle pulls up beside me, driver and one other guy with a bunch of packs of chips and stuff for sale, he jumps off and pushed up right against me with this stuff saying how much it cost, it was aggressive so I pushed him out of the way and he took off. I immediately realized what had happened and reached for my front pockets - I was wearing a light cotton jacket - they must have targeted me because it would have been very difficult to get anything out of my jean pockets. I was lucky because in my other jacket pocket was my phone and glasses.

I suspect that these thieves will be out often gaining more confidence with each petty robbery, so heads up if in the area.

• Like 1

Soi 23 at 3am - after Cowboy closing time ? I got hassled by a couple of Katoeys on the other side of Suk in roughly that location at about 1am a couple of years back - one tried to press herself up against me while the her friend's hands went for my jeans pockets. Literally bounced number one off a wall and the other one promptly decided she had someplace else to be, but thankfully that's the only incident I've had on that stretch and they didnt get a single satang. I guess we can no longer assume that its safe to walk the streets of BKK late at night - maybe it never was and Farang have just been living in a bubble I don't make the same assumptions in other cities, even with a few drinks under my belt.

I suspect that these thieves will be out often gaining more confidence with each petty robbery, so heads up if in the area.

Why do you suspect this?

Are you certain you only lost an old pack of cigarettes? Maybe you dropped those, or left them at your last location?

Kudos on the warning, at least you gave a time, location, description of the MO.

There have been a decent number of threads here over the years detailing similar encounters in the same location, and the same time period. Most seem to involve assault, threats and theft.

Probably always best to be aware of one's surroundings at all times, try not to stand out, try not to appear isolated, and spring for a taxi.

Edited by lomatopo