3BB International bandwidth

cmsally

The last few weeks 3BB internet has been dreadful. Anyone else having problems. Had a day when it would hardly connect, so contacted them. Once I got past the canned response of "its a problem with your equipment"; got a technician who got the connection back up and then domestic bandwidth up from 3M to 13 M. Took about an hour of phone calls back and forth.

Now I'm stuck with an international bandwidth of between 2-6 M whereas normally I get between 10-12 M

Anyone having the same problem??

Edited by cmsally

Yes, 3BB claim there is too much traffic.

That is the English translation of Thai we sold more than we can service.

I get free 3BBB here and when it is working it is good but it seldom works for an extended period of time. Five minutes to half an hour. Left alone it will come back on line in a few minuets.

I have a 3G 21Mbps AIS air stick. It very seldom disconnects but is slower than the 3BBB I have It runs from 24 to 54 Mbps when it elects to honor me with it's magnanimous graciousness.

Now I'm stuck with an international bandwidth of between 2-6 M whereas normally I get between 10-12 M

That number, 10-12, is not accurate as it is ISP caching of speedtest data. Need to check the ping response and that will verify it. If you get pings around 45ms to the US that is invalid and should be in the 200-300ms range. Ran a CM-BKK test and was getting 13.1 Mbps down and 1.1 Mbps up. To San Francisco 4.84 down, .91 up. Below, 1st data CM-BKK, 2nd CM-SFO (San Francisco). However, for a few days off and on and have been getting spotty speeds. Turned my router off for a while as it is on 24/7 and it comes back up usually to normal speed.

BTW-that is the 13Mbps 3BB package.

CM-BKK

post-566-0-66184300-1387097832_thumb.jpg

CM-SFO

post-566-0-69826300-1387097839_thumb.jpg

Sounds like I'm on the same package. Speeds look the same too. It is very up and down at the moment. Been on the computer a lot today and checked a few times. Got anything between 4 to 11 M

Have used broadbandspeedchecker to test as well as speedtest

Ping seems fairly consistent at about 228

This is all international.

Domestic as well as to Sing. at 12-13 M consistent.

• Like 1

We have had three occasions where the cables to the house had to be repaired. The first time a bullet severed the cable on a telephone pole across the road. The last two times (apparently) squirrels had chewed through them. Otherwise we've had good, prompt service from 3BB. However late in November the connection was terrible., slow, dropping out and they did advise to turn off the router at night. I was sceptical and tried it but i don't know it made any difference. The connection has returned to normal in the last weeks.

Hong Dong here - good service from 3bbb for over a year. 590 b a month plus tax. Can't beat it.

Join the club! I live in a suburb of Chiang Mai and although once or twice I have had some problems which were fixed pretty promptly, I can say, the system works satisfactorily for a reasonable price.

Hong Dong here - good service from 3bbb for over a year. 590 b a month plus tax. Can't beat it.

In Nong Hoi area of Chiang Mai, had 3BB for 8 months now. Best internet service I've had

since leaving Japan in 2007 -- until a few days ago. Yesterday was horrible. Today is fine.

I have experienced very specific bandwidth capping being done by 3bb. This occurs only on international traffic. I have a background in IT and can see the signs of their manipulation. I can find no software way around it, which tells me they are doing this at the hardware router level. The pattern I see is always the same. After 5pm I get approximately one gigabyte of full speed international data transfer, then my connection is cut to 2.5 Meg speed. This occurs every night, without fail. Exactly at midnight, every night, my speed returns to normal. This started several months ago, sporadically, and in the last few weeks has been 100% of the time. I don't speak Thai and I don't have the patience to argue with them over what they're doing. I've learned to work around the limits.

I can only presume that something is going on because I have had to upgrade the firmware on 2 routers to get them to work - about 2-3 weeks ago. Once upgraded OK but speed on everything awful. Took only half an hour to get a guy on the phone to adjust domestic speed from 3M to 12-13M

Then after a few goes on the phone; international has improved from about 2-4 M to 5-8 M sometimes higher.

I keep persisting on the phone and speeds miraculously go higher. So I don't believe its out of their control!

Had a guy on the phone this morning again trying to persuade me its "normal". Pointed out I have had their service for about 10years and this is the worst its been. He asked to give him until New Year! We'll see!

That number, 10-12, is not accurate as it is ISP caching of speedtest data. Need to check the ping response and that will verify it. If you get pings around 45ms to the US that is invalid and should be in the 200-300ms range. Ran a CM-BKK test and was getting 13.1 Mbps down and 1.1 Mbps up. To San Francisco 4.84 down, .91 up. Below, 1st data CM-BKK, 2nd CM-SFO (San Francisco). However, for a few days off and on and have been getting spotty speeds. Turned my router off for a while as it is on 24/7 and it comes back up usually to normal speed.

CM-BKK

attachicon.gifbkk.JPG

CM-SFO

attachicon.gifSan Fran.JPG

Hello, Tywais.

Which speedtest site is that?

CM-BKK

attachicon.gifbkk.JPG

CM-SFO

attachicon.gifSan Fran.JPG

Hello, Tywais.

Which speedtest site is that?

The standard speedtest.net (Okla) site. I usually don't rely on Okla sites but if the ping comes out correct than I feel the data is correct. Will also depend on your ISP as to whether they cache these type of sites or not. DSLReports is better as you can choose whether to use Java based or Flash (more chance of caching with Flash).

Thanks, Tywais.

Ok... I did a test on Ookla and got the longer ping. It shows a download speed of almost 5mb. I don't get that kind of download speed on other sites yet I do get a believable ping.

I have a problem with java tests on dslreports because I don't have java loaded on my Windows 8 machines.

Thank you for the response.