Would like comments on Maejo............

Thighlander

Where did they break ground for RR #4? Thanks for the Cafe Dino rec, will take a look and a taste!

Check out the road that runs just north of green valley heading east over the river. Lots of prep being done and I have been told this will run all,the way to the new airport. I looked at some rice field land between doi saket and San Kampang. Surveys crews had already designated the route. According to the local amphu guy who was showing me the land. Needless to say, not interested in rice field at current prices. Will they go up or down is the question. Really missed the boat 4.5 years ago.

• Like 1

Lunch at Baan Suan Salad Maejo was good. Had the Smoked Thai Red Tilapia with Herbs (180 bht) and a small salad, steamed rice and a fruit juice. The fish was brined in Thai herbs such as lemongrass and then smoked with sugar cane. It had a beautiful smokey hue and the meat was extremely moist with a wonderful texture. The flavor was very subtle so much so that the smoke and herbs almost were indistinguishable. It came with two sauces one so spicy it was over the top and the other's sweetness complimented the meat nicely. The salad was very simple with their house dressing and for a sweet mayonnaise based salad cream it wasn't bad at all. All the portions were very small, I could have eaten a few rices, the picture of the fish's size as shown in the picture compared to the silverware speaks for itself and the salad was just a few bites as can be seen too. For 295 bht I was not satiated which for a casual though pretty place that only serves lunch (10 am - 4 pm) I think that money should at least make me not still hungry. But a lovely spot that I can't wait to go back and try some of the other delicious sounding menu items.

post-101742-0-74174900-1387449663_thumb.

• Like 2

Lunch at Baan Suan Salad Maejo was good. Had the Smoked Thai Red Tilapia with Herbs (180 bht) and a small salad, steamed rice and a fruit juice. The fish was brined in Thai herbs such as lemongrass and then smoked with sugar cane. It had a beautiful smokey hue and the meat was extremely moist with a wonderful texture. The flavor was very subtle so much so that the smoke and herbs almost were indistinguishable. It came with two sauces one so spicy it was over the top and the other's sweetness complimented the meat nicely. The salad was very simple with their house dressing and for a sweet mayonnaise based salad cream it wasn't bad at all. All the portions were very small, I could have eaten a few rices, the picture of the fish's size as shown in the picture compared to the silverware speaks for itself and the salad was just a few bites as can be seen too. For 295 bht I was not satiated which for a casual though pretty place that only serves lunch (10 am - 4 pm) I think that money should at least make me not still hungry. But a lovely spot that I can't wait to go back and try some of the other delicious sounding menu items.

Great post and pic-thanks

I was about to find this place fo dinner but you say only 10-4 so that's out! And 295bht for such small portions seems amazing for Mae Jo. Was it costly because of the fish-I guess chicken/pork or veggie only would be much less? And the tiny salad, fruit juice and rice totalled 115bht?? You think they will survive?

Anyway, you plan to go back-surprising from your interesting report. Maybe says something about limited options out here..

It looks well established and was quite big and mainly full with lots of hi-so types I assume are not price sensitive. Personaly I would always choose quality over price but also like a fair value for the money which takes into account the quality aspect too. I did order the most expensive thing on the menu so am also interested trying some of the other options. Might be in the area again today and if so I'll give it another taste out if I get hungry again from the amazing meal I'm eating at BiBihieng as I type this.

I don't know who the owners are but the expiditer was an older Thai woman and the another woman from the kitchen who discussed the process of infusing the herbs into the brine was also Thai as well as the rest staff I saw. It had a real Thai essence as well. What are you basing your comment on?

It looks well established and was quite big and mainly full with lots of hi-so types I assume are not price sensitive. Personaly I would always choose quality over price but also like a fair value for the money which takes into account the quality aspect too. I did order the most expensive thing on the menu so am also interested trying some of the other options. Might be in the area again today and if so I'll give it another taste out if I get hungry again from the amazing meal I'm eating at BiBihieng as I type this.

We've known it for several years, I agree that it's not great value-for-money these days, on the other hand it's a nice atmosphere, and there used to be some photos of famous visitors, so up-market I guess.

There's also a nice som-tam/grilled-nibbles/rice/fish place called Dam-Mua behind Mae-Jo Uni, about 1/2km from the back-gate, on the road which leads to the big-kom-loi-release wat.

• Like 1

I don't know who the owners are but the expiditer was an older Thai woman and the another woman from the kitchen who discussed the process of infusing the herbs into the brine was also Thai as well as the rest staff I saw. It had a real Thai essence as well. What are you basing your comment on?

because I have bought fish like that from Thais for 59 thb; no chipped plate, though. Does someone with a carpayment that is 50% of their income qualify as "Hi-so"?

post-37570-0-57986900-1387517291_thumb.j

Beauthai they've been going strong for over 20 yrs and busy when I went again late today. For 335 bht for 4 dishes, rice, 2 fruit juices and dessert. Worth a try if your in the area as they have an interesting take on modern Thai cuisine.

Thailander I'm not sure if you just misunderstood my post or your a troll but to give you the benefit of the doubt there is not a lot in common with these two dishes. Different species of fish, one brined and smoked in an oven and the other salted and grilled over charcoal for a few obvious examples. Will ask the drivers for thier car book next time but FYI the owners are Thai. I know it's the season to be jolly but I guess it's ok to be lolly too, happy holidays all!

• Like 2

​There are hundred of species of cichlid fish from the tilapiine cichlid tribe which are commonly called Tilapia.

While I was served a red-hybrid called Thaptim in the Thai language your photo depicts the less expensive black and white stripped Pla Nin or Nile Fish.

From a culinary aspect their meat has a different texture as well as their skin so different cooking techniques are more appropriate for each but with similar flavor the same a basic approach in seasoning can be taken.

Edited by junglechef