Places to eat, shop and general happiness in Chang Phueak

Ebenweb

We don't live right there, but frequent the area. (Please look at the pinned topic "Google Map for Chiang Mai". )

• Tannin Market = north of Hotel Mercure is a good local market where you can get produce/meat to cook as well as get cooked food to take home. There is a food court out the back and across the street, but I've only been there a couple of times and can't think of a recommendation.
  • Top Supermarket - is located next to the Hotel Mercure. I don't shop here much, but will shop at Top in an emergency.
  • I don't know if the Pickles Deli (not on the map) is still opened or not, but that was one place I wanted to try (just never in that area at the right time). People raved about the corned beef, etc.
  • Hillkoff Coffee (on Chang Phuek Soi 2 and main branch East) has roasted coffee beans (you can ask them to grind for you). They have various brewing equipment from espresso machines to French presses, etc. Also, they have coffee grinders as well as green beans if you are into roasting (there is more at the main branch).
  • Kitti Electronics (not on map) - it is on a corner and on Chiang Phuek right near the sign for the Lotus Hotel. Many electronic components, boxes, soldering irons, wires, some audio connectors.

Have fun discovering stuff.

We don't live right there, but frequent the area. (Please look at the pinned topic "Google Map for Chiang Mai". )

• Tannin Market = north of Hotel Mercure is a good local market where you can get produce/meat to cook as well as get cooked food to take home. There is a food court out the back and across the street, but I've only been there a couple of times and can't think of a recommendation.
  • Top Supermarket - is located next to the Hotel Mercure. I don't shop here much, but will shop at Top in an emergency.
  • I don't know if the Pickles Deli (not on the map) is still opened or not, but that was one place I wanted to try (just never in that area at the right time). People raved about the corned beef, etc.
  • Hillkoff Coffee (on Chang Phuek Soi 2 and main branch East) has roasted coffee beans (you can ask them to grind for you). They have various brewing equipment from espresso machines to French presses, etc. Also, they have coffee grinders as well as green beans if you are into roasting (there is more at the main branch).
  • Kitti Electronics (not on map) - it is on a corner and on Chiang Phuek right near the sign for the Lotus Hotel. Many electronic components, boxes, soldering irons, wires, some audio connectors.

Thanks! I'll let you know about Pickles :)

Pickles is open and thier smoked beef tongue sandwiches are the best in CM! There's also a good salad restaurant around the corner. Tanin Market has lots of stuff and thier to go food is real good but the food court in back is not esp. good. Hillkoff is real good, if you brew drip coffee at home try thier City blend (also called Mocha but it's not mocha)

Edited by junglechef
  • Like 1

havent been to Pickles in a few months. Thx for reminding me and giving me a better knowledge of the area.

Pickles is open and thier smoked beef tongue sandwiches are the best in CM! There's also a good salad restaurant around the corner. Tanin Market has lots of stuff and thier to go food is real good but the food court in back is not esp. good. Hillkoff is real good, if you brew drip coffee at home try thier City blend (also called Mocha but it's not mocha)

Agree with good food at this market. We also get food to take home from the market. Just recently, we took home some very good soups- tam yum gai and yam gin gai from a vendor at the back. There is a vendor in the middle where we get some very good dishes - phat phet pladuk, various veggie some with meat, etc. We also buy miang kham packs there. If you haven't had these, it is worth a try... To eat, you take a leaf put the sauce, coconut flakes, peanut, lime, chili, dried shrimp,shallot in the middle, wrap everything up and put it in your mouth. Delicious burst of flavor and it is great. We normally add the pickled garlic slices. We think it goes well with a dry martini (gin, stirred).

Edited by just_Elaine

Agree with good food at this market. We also get food to take home from the market. Just recently, we took home some very good soups- tam yum gai and yam gin gai from a vendor at the back. There is a vendor in the middle where we get some very good dishes - phat phet pladuk, various veggie some with meat, etc. We also buy miang kham packs there. If you haven't had these, it is worth a try... To eat, you take a leaf put the sauce, coconut flakes, peanut, lime, chili, dried shrimp,shallot in the middle, wrap everything up and put it in your mouth. Delicious burst of flavor and it is great. We normally add the pickled garlic slices. We think it goes well with a dry martini (gin, stirred).

Wow, miang kham sounds incredible. Anywhere noobs can go where they serve it? Or is that not a thing...