Cashing cheques in Thailand

I have a bank account with enough to cover the cheque amount at kasikorn. What is the usual procedure or will they even let me do this.

I am going to my branch and they are pretty good to me but just want to have everything ready when i go.

It is a business cheque from a Canadian government account.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Done it numerous times, they will accept the cheque and pay it into your savings account but the funds will not be available until the cheque clears. Although they tell you 5-6 weeks in my experience its normally 2-3 weeks. The delay is the cheque being cleared by your home bank.

• Like 1

BBL quote 45 days but in practice it is 19 days. Delay is usually because they are making interest on YOUR money. Try to get your money sent electronically. My pension providers and UK Government Account uses Citibank's Baht Net system, it is very cheap and the funds are credited within hours.

I have cashed checks at Bangkok Bank numerous times. It took 2-3 weeks. BKK Bank now subscribes to the International Clearing House and my last check took 5 days to clear.

Does Bangkok Bank add service charges when cashing a check? If so, what are the charges? Do they use the same exchange rate procedure they use with ATM withdrawals?

Thanks.

I have cashed checks at Bangkok Bank numerous times. It took 2-3 weeks. BKK Bank now subscribes to the International Clearing House and my last check took 5 days to clear.

Does Bangkok Bank add service charges when cashing a check? If so, what are the charges? Do they use the same exchange rate procedure they use with ATM withdrawals?

Thanks.

You get the current TT rate plus B150 to clear the check.

Thanks.

You get the current TT rate plus B150 to clear the check.

Does "TT rate" somehow mean exchange rate?

If so, this is better than a wire transfer which cost me $45 from my credit union. So in theory I could walk into a bank here and deposit one of my own personal checks drawn against the credit union in the USA, and it would only cost me 150 baht?

I understanding that cashing checks in Thailand is like pulling teeth.Everything that I have read they say it takes 60 days or 2 months.I can't figure out why.I could see maybe A week.

Not difficult in my experience. Just take cheque and passport/ ID to your Thai bank, fill in the form ( they filled it in for me and I signed it ), pay commission and wait 45 days.

Once they tried to make me go to my embassy, but just insist and they will do it ( eventually ). I suppose he either didn't understand, or didn't want to do the paperwork.

Helps if you take a Thai person with you.