My near death experience today

yankee99

This may be a blessing in disguise :). I showed the video to my wife and she said these bikes are not safe. I told her that they have bikes with more safety features like anti-lock brakes and traction control. She said i should go buy a new one with those safety features.

Please mate do not assume ABS and traction control will save your life, these safety features are not there to allow you to continue driving like a lunatic, they are safety aids which should not be abused, they can give you a false sense of security which will lead to the same result as what nearly happened in your video, I also owned the Z1000 and it is a great bike which if driven sensibly is perfectly safe, good luck in your future driving I am thinking you might need it!!

Edited by dogpoo

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be a blessing in disguise :). I showed the video to my wife and she said these bikes are not safe. I told her that they have bikes with more safety features like anti-lock brakes and traction control. She said i should go buy a new one with those safety features.

Please mate do not assume ABS and traction control will save your life, these safety features are not there to allow you to continue driving like a lunatic, they are safety aids which should not be abused, they can give you a false sense of security which will lead to the same result as what nearly happened in your video, I also owned the Z1000 and it is a great bike which if driven sensibly is perfectly safe, good luck in your future driving I am thinking you might need it!!

She just looked at the Dainese D-Air One Piece Suit with air bags and said to order. Xmas is here just need some money....

I was going about 30kph the other day when a kid chasing a ball ran out.

If I was coming along about one second later it could have been bad.

A guy coming the other way almost went down running over the soccer ball.

Edited by UncleJ

Death wish. I suppose the next we read of the OP will be his obituary if he keeps driving like that in Thailand.

I remember coming home from bike week in laconia in 1984 or1985 or something like that on my ninja 900 and the state police asked if i had a death wish? Funny thing if my memory serves they let me go with just a warning.

You most definitely are one person who should not be riding anything more than a pushbike. Your follow up comments to the OP indicate you're in love with yourself and that you will repeat this performance and put the lives of others in danger. Hope your co-riders are reading this and realise you are a menace who should not be encouraged and refuse to ride with you again. You would not want to be anywhere near me, little boy, should you injure or kill a child with your lunacy.

• Like 2

The reason I prefer to ride alone is because in a group there is a temptation for some to 'up the ante' in front of their peers. You only have to see some of the videos on YouTube of farangs pulling wheelies and speeding in company with their friends in urban Pattaya for the proof. Fast bikes are fun but local drivers are very unpredictable; I think that the safest place in Thailand to get a speed 'fix' is at the track. I hope your heart has returned to your chest from your mouth :)

• Like 2

I don't know if it's the audio on the camera, or not, but it sounds like you have a slight misfire up in the rev range.

You maybe better of doing some track days to burn off the excess of adrenalin you have.

Have you ever looked into the eyes of a wife and kids when you tell em husband/daddy won't be coming home tonight?

• Like 1

This may be a blessing in disguise smile.png. I showed the video to my wife and she said these bikes are not safe. I told her that they have bikes with more safety features like anti-lock brakes and traction control. She said i should go buy a new one with those safety features.

I thought she would have said that you should be a more responsible driver and think about how your family would feel if something would happen to you while you are on one of your little self indulgent rides.

Be safe man, its not worth it. take your cbr 600 and race on the track only. Driving like this in Thailand will get you into trouble more sooner than later.

The reason I prefer to ride alone is because in a group there is a temptation for some to 'up the ante' in front of their peers. You only have to see some of the videos on YouTube of farangs pulling wheelies and speeding in company with their friends in urban Pattaya for the proof. Fast bikes are fun but local drivers are very unpredictable; I think that the safest place in Thailand to get a speed 'fix' is at the track. I hope your heart has returned to your chest from your mouth smile.png

The people i ride with have nothing to do with it. I am soley responsible for my action even if sometimes they are not the best ideas...

I don't know if it's the audio on the camera, or not, but it sounds like you have a slight misfire up in the rev range.

You maybe better of doing some track days to burn off the excess of adrenalin you have.

Have you ever looked into the eyes of a wife and kids when you tell em husband/daddy won't be coming home tonight?

The track being is still being repaired from my crash on the track...

My mate wears one of those jackets that inflate in the event of an accident. I assume that in an accident like you nearly had, you would bounce safely for a few hundred metres before coming to a stop.

When you come off at speed, one of two things happen.

You slide all the way ... and slide some considerable distance or you 'cartwheel/roll'.

If you cartwheel at that speed ... multiple fractures to arms and legs, bones sticking through the skin etc ...

This has to be a trolling thread, just looks at some of the posts from the op!!

Really you don't believe i wrecked my track bike at bira? or you dont believe i almost hit a truck? Before you make a accusation you should have some type of logic behind it..

• Like 1

My mate wears one of those jackets that inflate in the event of an accident. I assume that in an accident like you nearly had, you would bounce safely for a few hundred metres before coming to a stop.

When you come off at speed, one of two things happen.

You slide all the way ... and slide some considerable distance or you 'cartwheel/roll'.

If you cartwheel at that speed ... multiple fractures to arms and legs, bones sticking through the skin etc ...

Ah but you are discounting the inflatable jacket. Picture one of those sumo outfits bouncing down the road

Well the video does make you think. Two of the other three bikes are tv members.

I don't know how much experience do you have but you did a great job avoiding that.99% of all people in same situation would brake instantly and thus definitely crash,you did a good choice and tried to actually pass it rather than just brake.

You're forgeting thailand is accident hub of the world with 30,000 casualities a year.On thai roads one really doesn't need 160kmh+ speed.I've had too much problems and avoiding accidents when i ride above 150/160kmh,i don't even remember when i pass that speed last time and truth to be told i don't even miss it,just too much thongs can go wrong on thai roads

You really think his brain could think that quickly...don't give the fool credit for a reflex action any trained monkey could do without a thought process.

• Like 1

The reason I prefer to ride alone is because in a group there is a temptation for some to 'up the ante' in front of their peers. You only have to see some of the videos on YouTube of farangs pulling wheelies and speeding in company with their friends in urban Pattaya for the proof. Fast bikes are fun but local drivers are very unpredictable; I think that the safest place in Thailand to get a speed 'fix' is at the track. I hope your heart has returned to your chest from your mouth smile.png

The people i ride with have nothing to do with it. I am soley responsible for my action even if sometimes they are not the best ideas...

Yes, you are solely responsible but I have seen normally reasonable people riding like they've had a lobotomy trying to impress each other and then they put the footage of their Darwinian behaviour on YouTube for all to see. I sincerely hope I don't read on here of your demise.

^

Agree, i can not see great skills here. Just a reflex and pure luck. Better take it as a warning not as a proof of skills.

Although i understand what you are saying in this case you are wrong. I am not claiming to have great skills but if you understand motorcycle steering you know this wasnt reflex and luck.

Normal reflex would be to brake yank the bars left (forcing your bike right) and visually fixate on the truck as you crash. I did see the truck and made a conscious decision to avoid by going left by counter steering and not locking the brakes. There was a time in my life that my survival reaction would have got me killed there but my anti survival reactions saved me.

• Like 2

Today:

kqjy.png

Just imagine if there had been the slightest undulation, or obstacle on the road at the crucial point where you needed to change trajectories.

I'd say there would be few true bikers on these boards that hadn't had a close call or two in their time and learnt a lesson. Be safe out there guys.

OK I think the OP has got the message.

I don't want to encourage anybody but you have to admit, road racing is a rush. I don't recommend it on Thai roads though.

Sanctioned road races, Isle Of Man. The most exciting race on wheels.

• Like 2

OK I think the OP has got the message.

I don't want to encourage anybody but you have to admit, road racing is a rush. I don't recommend it on Thai roads though.

Sanctioned road races, Isle Of Man. The most exciting race on wheels.

I did not see a pickup truck in the middle of the road in that video.

leave the racing on (closed) public roads to the pro's , even their mortality rate is high enough as it is.

• Like 1

It was a lucky day for you too.

You didn't get away from pure skills.

Yes I do know that it is hard to change direction at that speed and you were "shooting the gap".

Looking at the path you wanted to go saved you. Had you fixed your eye on the pickup, we would not be reading this thread at all.

You were lucky that you had enough traction that day, not enough oil or undulation to unsettle your bike, no traffic coming from the left and no traffic up front that gave you room to maneuver. If any of those went wrong, skills will not save you.

Edited by thai4me
  • Like 1