Overweight people are too strong/healthy.

mommysboy

That's their undoing in my view.

Part of the reason I have tended to be skinny and not an alcoholic is that my body simply can't process the huge amount of sugar, fat and toxins that overweight people seem to tolerate well for decades. If i was able to go over the top, I think I would be a diabetic overnight I'm sure. I also tend to suffer a lot of minor health issues that can reduce my appetite. So I'm left wondering if my tubbier friends simply have a very good constitution.

Moreover, when they do get ill, they seem to doggedly cling to their unhealthy diets, so no lack of will power and stamina either, albeit clearly misplaced.

I grew up with the sereotype that fat people were jolly, conversely skinny people mean, sadly perhaps there is some truth in this rather demeaning viewpoint.

Rather than discuss this food or that, the issue might be more gainful if placed on a philosophical/ emotional basis. It's my guess that overweight people are really avoiding the emptiness and melancholy that might be encountered from dieting rather than the challenge of doing something difficult. Mild depression is a big feature in my life, and if handled correctly is a good source of creativity and can be mitigated to a sort of reverie. Fasting is a part of serious religious pursuit too.

Just a bit of intuition, which may be way off the mark so please don't pick it to pieces.

People who gain fat easily and find it difficult to lose it are actually better adapted for human survival for most of the history of our species. The trouble is for many of us now the environment has radically changed so the ancient pattern of shorter periods of plenty followed by longer periods of want is gone.

That's a very good point and it's a particularly useful trick in colder climes where survival was key.

The thing is then, the dieter is faced with a constant battle having to adopt a regime that most of us would find near impossible over a prolonged period.

Perhaps it is best to keep fit and ride excess weight after all it is possible to be a bit overweight and perfectly healthy too.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 1 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Don't let the children get obese in the first place ... otherwise you're usually looking at a lifelong obese person. Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Good point JT, i feel sad when i see my nephews (Thai) just under 100kg and not even 10yo. One of the others is going the same way and when I remark about health .. they laugh. They think fat children are cute.

Don't let the children get obese in the first place ... otherwise you're usually looking at a lifelong obese person. Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Good point JT, i feel sad when i see my nephews (Thai) just under 100kg and not even 10yo. One of the others is going the same way and when I remark about health .. they laugh. They think fat children are cute.

w00t.gif "fat children are cute" Thailand or China?

Are you absolutely sure on those numbers? They can't be right. Just under 100 kg and not even 10 years old. That is totally insane and freakish and either a serious condition regarding metabolism-affecting hormones or appallingly feckless and irresponsible diet control and choices by the parents.

People who gain fat easily and find it difficult to lose it are actually better adapted for human survival for most of the history of our species.

Right. Waddling when being chased by a lion is a definate survival strategy.

Perhaps you missed the point. They didn't generally get obese, their bodies were just efficient at storing food reserves to be used for survival during times of famine, which generally happened often. (Duh.) Yes of course people generally MOVED more then as well, also reducing the rate of people actually getting obese. So for many people the genetic tendencies that once would have saved them in modern times of all the time plenty can contribute to their earlier demise. Also keep in mind there are health risks for being underweight as well, especially in times of famine!

Edited by Jingthing

Are you absolutely sure on those numbers? They can't be right. Just under 100 kg and not even 10 years old. That is totally insane and freakish and either a serious condition regarding metabolism-affecting hormones or appallingly feckless and irresponsible diet control and choices by the parents.

That does sound extreme for a 10 year old! But it happens.

He looks like it really does. I haven't put him on a pair of scales his family has and were almost proud. I might be wrong about the age I will check again. Could be 2 years older. It is freakish and he is way too fat is just sad.

People who gain fat easily and find it difficult to lose it are actually better adapted for human survival for most of the history of our species.

Right. Waddling when being chased by a lion is a definate survival strategy.

Perhaps you missed the point. They didn't generally get obese, their bodies were just efficient at storing food reserves to be used for survival during times of famine, which generally happened often. (Duh.) Yes of course people generally MOVED more then as well, also reducing the rate of people actually getting obese. So for many people the genetic tendencies that once would have saved them in modern times of all the time plenty can contribute to their earlier demise. Also keep in mind there are health risks for being underweight as well, especially in times of famine!

Good point JT you are right on the money this time as far as I am concerned. I have read this before too.

Anyway people have different metabolic rates its a fact. You should look into body set points. I think i have hit one my weight stays relatively constant and low (ok I still watch my food but some overeating once in a while does not seem to change it)

This year I might decide to go freakishly low in body-fat if i want a new goal. But one thing is for sure I am going to change my food a bit more cutting out even more carbs even though the ones i ate were relatively healthy.