Know Your Traffic Police Checkpoints in Chiang Mai

khwaibah

Know Your Traffic Police Checkpoints in Chiang Mai Adrian Fleur Dec 13, 2013

Op Ed

DISCLAIMER: I do not encourage evading the law, as I stated below. The purpose of the map is not to help people avoid checkpoints, but rather to encourage the public to be vigilant about potential corruption or misconduct that they might experience. The list of personal stories after the article reflect a range of opinions about the traffic police, both negative and positive. Please do not assume what my personal opinions are (as I've refrained from sharing them here), or assume what the content of this article is before reading it.

We recently reported that Thailand’s corruption is perceived to be worsening, amidst worldwide whispers about the country’s political problems. Thailand has long been under fire from organizations such as Transparency International or Human Rights Watch, and has many disappointing pitfalls when it comes to dishonesty, misconduct and other lame, sketchy behaviour among the country’s elite and powerful.

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=2838

They must have x-ray glasses as they do seem to see you are buckled up or not.

Okay, so one must buckle up in the interior seats (if the car is supposed to have seatbelts)

and the lot in the back of the pick-up, sometimes 12 or more, are just seated on a small plank and the car doing 100 km/hr on the highway.

The checkpoints are ok with me if checking for helmets and faulty cars, but the excess of today is just money distortion.

Got stopped having helmet on. Hmm, have driver liscense? yes. Have street tax paid? yes. Have tabien? yes. 3 to 4 ways they want to give you a fine. This really sucks to me. Is this about road safety...no...money. And if one takes a daily route to Makro and pass the checkpoint when turning left, it's a drag you get stopped almost every two days. Yikes.

Ok, if Thai/farang don't wear a helmet, then pay, but if you forgot your papers or whatever, 200 to 400 Baht is a too high price for Thai IMO. Ok, hit them in the pocket...would they finally learn...nah.

Was stopped yesterday on Moon muang for having an expired license. Officer told me the fine would be ฿400 at the station. Then he told me to open the seat so he could see under it. Next he said put ฿200 under his piece of paper which was already under the seat. I did that then on my way i was.....