urgent help needed for visa and work permit

HI, I have been working for an agency here in Thailand in a school. However I was very unhappy with the conditions that I was working in, so I left the job. Since then I have been in contact with the agency asking what I need to do next and I keep speaking to different people. I want to know if my work permit has been cancelled so I can go and do a visa run, but noone gives me a straight answer. Now this has gone on for two months and I'm getting worried that they may have cancelled it and I dont know. Then last week I spoke with the head woman at the agency and she says that she has started all the paperwok to cancel the visa and workpermit, but she needs me to go to the visa and work permit office with her when she is ready sometime this month. I just want to leave the country and get a new visa, but the visa run opperator says I need a letter saying that my permit and visa has been cancelled, is there any way that I can just go to the border and do the run without this letter. I am worried that if I go to the office with the owner of the agency that she will screw me over for something or the cancellation of the visa will be backdated or worse the documents have already been cancelled which means I'm here illegally, please can someone give me some advice.

To cancel the work permit you do not have to go to the labour office your employer can handle that.

For immigration you should insist they give you a letter stating your job has ended on the date you go there and do it yourself. They will cancel your extension and you have to leave the county or you can apply for a 7 day extension (1900 baht).

You could try a border crossing on your own. There have been some posts of immigration refusing departure because of a still valid extension.

Do you have a visa issued at a Thai Consular Facility outside of Thailand and are you thus on 90 day entries or are you on an extension of permission to stay issued by your local Thai Immigration Dept.

The WP you can cancel yourself - see form below:

If you are on an extension, this needs to be cancelled the same day as your WP and you must exit Thailand within that same day, you may be able to do this yourself with a receipt for the WP cancellation..
However if you are on a 90 day entry from a Non 'B' Visa then your entry is good until the 'Enter Until' date on the border stamp in your passport.
Edited by digitalchromakey

I got the visa and work permit through the agency, if I go the immigration can the immigration backdate the cancellation of the visa to the last day I worked for them, or what will happen if the agency has cancelled the visa without me knowing? And I should have left the country back then, and they have been stalling me. There is nothing I wouldnt put past this agency I work for. Thanks for your replies before. Any advice is welcomed as im starting to get worried.

By the rules the date you job ended your extension of stay ended. Any days after that date you are liable for a fine of 500 baht a day up to a max of 20k baht for overstay.

You need to to get a letter from them stating your last date of employment to cancel your extension at immigration. Or just try to leave the country without it being cancelled.