Moo Ban Politics

marshbags

For the last 3 days we have had the village elders making announcements on the up and coming local election.

It goes like this.

On the 27th of May we have a local election ( Udonthani ) and you MUST all go to vote.

When you go to vote you MUST vote for No.1

No. 1 is not even known by the locals but they are told they are the only candidate they can vote for.

In the last elections of 2cnd April we had similar announcements which in no uncertain terms told everyone to vote TRT.

These announcements are always followed by the customary brainwashing and threats.

A certain poster who shall be nameless insisted only yesterday this sort of thing never happens and elections are impartial and fair.

I would invite him and any other doubters to spend a couple of days in this Moo Ban and getting an early morning call via this delightful method just after 6 am, sometimes before.

Preferably not with me though, please ????????????????????????

Speakers are hung in every Sio and there,s no escape, the noise would put most disco,s to shame.

Then there,s the dogs singing along with it, how delightful it all is.

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

Our village is split in two now so two sets of music / loudspeaker announcements, which in the main are reminders for people to repay their Moo baan borrowings or to come to the compulsory village meeting where they repeat everything they've announced the previous month. :o

Will keep an ear out for the electioneering. We didn't get the 400 Bht toxin bribe last time....

We have just had an election for the Puy Yai (spelling?). The Kamnan who is my wifes brother in law has to retire. Not much electioneering, a couple of posters, and the winner handing out 100 Baht notes. (Actually I'm glad he won the other guys family include the now on the run local hitman.) The electioneering for the Kamnan has just begun, again just 2 candidates. We have the speakers, Radio Ranong, we occaisionlly get that when the Kamnan remembers to turn it on. Otherwise it's just a PA system. The system so far has not been abused, and is just info given out. What you do get, and I don't know if it's the Thai way, is elders from the family saying vote for..... I tell my wife to ignore them and use her head. Which she has done I hope. She disd take the backhander but had told me before that happened her voting intention. You can't have everything I suppose. :o

Our village is split in two now so two sets of music / loudspeaker announcements, which in the main are reminders for people to repay their Moo baan borrowings or to come to the compulsory village meeting where they repeat everything they've announced the previous month. :D

Will keep an ear out for the electioneering. We didn't get the 400 Bht toxin bribe last time....

................................................................................

In all fairness they do use the system to announce other things that are favourable and benefit the village community.

i.e. When there,s a visit by some governmental organisation for driving licence renewals ect.

Water / power supplies being cut off and the day and times, this is of particular use to everyone.

The downside i mentioned goes on constantly, with brain bashing on a scale similar to a boxers punch bag.

It just seemed a bit ironic after the denial of it ever happening only yesterday.

The noise, well after all this time i just accept it, no problem, i just wish the dogs would syncronise the howling, after all " this is Thailand " :D

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

just wish the dogs would syncronise the howling, after all " this is Thailand "

where everybody thinks they can sing ... :o:D:D

only get the annoucements in the morning - but since the loudspeakers are at the other end of the soi they do not disturb me in the slightest.

Tape the announcement and send it with a note identifying the village to the election commission. :o

Nah, that won't work cause the EC is on the same side as Toxin :D .

The EC will be flushed soon as they refuse to resign. I guess they're hanging on to try their tricks again but won't make it to the next election. Good riddance.

I would also tape the announcement and hand it over to people interested in these tactics. Looks like instructions from the top have been given already. :D

Tape the announcement and send it with a note identifying the village to the election commission. :o

Nah, that won't work cause the EC is on the same side as Toxin :D .

The EC will be flushed soon as they refuse to resign. I guess they're hanging on to try their tricks again but won't make it to the next election. Good riddance.

I would also tape the announcement and hand it over to people interested in these tactics. Looks like instructions from the top have been given already. :D

Hopefully the people now directing constitutional rights have more than enough to give them there much deserved Karma.

As i have to live here i have to be careful with who to trust and watch my families well being.

Thanks anyway for the thoughts on taping.

I appreciate all the comments on life in the N.East out posts from everyone and pleased our Moo Ban is not alone.

As an extension to this thread, has anyone any of the more amusing announcements that come over the amplifiers please.

marshbags :D:D:D

Wife’s village temple PA system always plays earsplitting toxin propaganda to influence folks in the village, which in turn give me a very big headache. :D:D:o

Please see my previous post. ^^^

Great idea, need to learn some ninja tricks :D

Edited by Thaising