fine for working without workpermit

Then the number I heard might be correct; 20.000 (= one month salary) for both employer and employee. Employee detained until fine payed. Employer paid both fines the same day and employee returned to work the next day - still without a workpermit, of course. No talk of deportation or leaving the country. Again: This is Thailand.

Thank you all.

I do not know, but the psycological cost is very high. Waiting for employers to get their paperwork in order to employ you, but expecting you to be working, while they are waiting for documents to get you the correct visa and W.P. Knowing that you should not be working but knowing that they will show the process is in the works.

Employers never bother to wonder how are these employees expected to live in Thailand while waiting the contracts, paperwork and documents for the Non B. Whether it be Tourist visas, 30 day border crossing or other wise. Our lives revolve around the date on the contract.

I hope the new rules in Phuket do not reach this far North, no W.P. no job, no waiting.

I don't think they would be that lenient.

I don't know if you are allowed to say this on thaivisa, but this employer might have paid more then the fine, without getting a receipt.

No problem, Unsubstantiated accusations and mindless rumors are common place here at the hub of gossip and factoids.

Damn the old no likesclap2.gif left....but I like

Just one point.

You must NOT work until your work permit is issued.

Do NOT 'start work' until your work permit is issued.

Regardless of any fine - you WILL be put in jail, WILL go to Court, WILL then be fined and then you WILL be deported.

There are no maybes about that.

Do NOT listen to ANYONE who tells you "It's OK to work while your WP is being processed, just get a note from your employer saying it's in the system."

IF your papers are in order, passport, Visa etc and you have ALL the WP papers - then "Processing" takes between 2 hours to 2 days if you are in a centre with an authorised dept of Labour office.

Most of the WP offenders I dealt with over 8 years, were "school teachers" or thought they were. More than 80% were shopped to Immigration Police by their colleagues.

I can think of two famous name primary schools where the Principal had a deal with Immigration. Always in the last month of term. 3 months pay coming up. 10 illegal teachers (all thinking they were legal) - that's 27 months pay. A tidy profit for the Principal and her sister.

Remember the maxim in Thailand. "It's like going to the toilet. If the paperwork is good - you don't get in a mess."

• Like 1

If the company cant provide the correct documentation in order to obtain a work permit within a reasonable timespan, it surely isnt worth taking up the position. Certainly would be worried about salary being paid each month, no healtcare and of course working illegally.

Edited by PattayaPhom
  • Like 1

The Law is The LAW!

Break it at your own risk. I fail to understand why people think that just because it is Thailand, and not the place they came from, they can just ignore the Law-of-the-land.

Some people are downright Rude and Stupid!

So far as I can see, no one has defined "work" for me. Can someone do that, Please?

Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I remember it's something like (paraphrased):

"Expending energy be it mental or physical for receipt of payment or otherwise."

(So yes, it would be work...).

The Law is The LAW!

Break it at your own risk. I fail to understand why people think that just because it is Thailand, and not the place they came from, they can just ignore the Law-of-the-land.

Some people are downright Rude and Stupid!

Thank you for your input Judge Dredd LOL

Just one point.

You must NOT work until your work permit is issued.

Do NOT 'start work' until your work permit is issued.

Regardless of any fine - you WILL be put in jail, WILL go to Court, WILL then be fined and then you WILL be deported.

There are no maybes about that.

Do NOT listen to ANYONE who tells you "It's OK to work while your WP is being processed, just get a note from your employer saying it's in the system."

IF your papers are in order, passport, Visa etc and you have ALL the WP papers - then "Processing" takes between 2 hours to 2 days if you are in a centre with an authorised dept of Labour office.

Most of the WP offenders I dealt with over 8 years, were "school teachers" or thought they were. More than 80% were shopped to Immigration Police by their colleagues.

I can think of two famous name primary schools where the Principal had a deal with Immigration. Always in the last month of term. 3 months pay coming up. 10 illegal teachers (all thinking they were legal) - that's 27 months pay. A tidy profit for the Principal and her sister.

Remember the maxim in Thailand. "It's like going to the toilet. If the paperwork is good - you don't get in a mess."

What Thailand have you been in for all of these years?

There is no paper work involved in going to the toilet in Thailand!

Your credibility was flushed down the toilet with the last line of your post!

A judge will make a decison on the circumstances. Most people that are arrested for this are of course nationals from neighbouring countries.

A court normally doesn't go all the way to the maximum and going to court can be cheaper than negotiatiing a fine with the labour office/police. But if you go to court, you will have a criminal conviction and record.