Comparison of Pats this December to December last year

davidst01

- Its colder this year.

- Im noticing more Russians working in tourist jobs this year compared to last year.

- I've noticed that there are more thai youngsters walking along the beach selling stuff. I saw a 5 yr old with what must have been a 9 or 10 yr old walking along the path in Jomtien selling stuff (unsupervised). Then there was a girl around 8yrs old selling toilet rolls by herself to the folk sitting under the beach umbrellas. I think this is a disgrace but only my opinion...

- Beach umbrella price per day has risen from 30baht last yr to 40 baht this yr.

- Tourist numbers are the same this year compared to last.

Have a good Christmas

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, but I stopped being surprised by kids panhandling (in whatever fashion - rose sellers being the most annoying) a long time ago. Watch kids working the traffic in Jakarta - zero shelter from the blazing sun and endless rows of traffic - and suddenly Thailand's juvenile rose sellers seem to have it pretty good. Worst case of parental neglect was a tot (estimate no more than 2 years old) left alone outside a Jakarta shopping center with a sign in English asking for money - boggles the mind that anyone could be that callous. My Indo friend assured me that someone would be watching her, but it still left a sour taste in my mouth.

Normally this time of a year, 5 days to christmas, at Dongtan you won't find a vacant chair, if you arrive after 11. This year no worries, go and sit where you want.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

obviously there is no shortage of russian package holiday tourists around. Im amused by the way they suntan standing up- with their arms pointed outwards. Looks so weird but must be adopted when they are at the fake tan salons in moscow. It also looks weird when they are sitting on the beach chair with their arms pointed outward attempting to get that all round even tan. Its a strange culture they come from- having recently had a holiday there

Lots of people about,but they are not using a lot of the businesses I see.

Many restaurants empty or nearly empty same massage shops, bars etc. Some businesses are busy... 2 for 1 bars etc and massage places that are close to where the Russians/Chinese tourists are staying after they come back to their hotels after 5 pm.

Walking street very busy last night but a lot more people looking than buying.Way more deckchairs than people using them.

I'd say a lot of businesses are hurting still.

Jomtien Beach road and bar complex seems about the same as last year in the day, but quieter in the evenings.

The traffic here has increased 2 fold since last year due to 2nd Road becoming a major thoroughfare to avoid Sukhumvit, the development of Soi Boonkanjana (beach end), and Chayapreuk is a nightmare.