Learning the guitar

bubblegum

and need a push in the right direction.

As a kid a

I played a bit and I learned all the basic chords. After a terrible sickness I lost control/power over my muscles and gave it up. Now years and years later I'm picking it up again but like I said need a push in the right direction.

I'm currently learning minor (blues) scales, boring so how to make it a bit more fun?

Do I concentrate on scales (all of them :-(() or just some.

Thing is there is so much to learn and I haven't got a clue where to go.

Now a lot of you are great artist, I've seen you playing, could somebody supply me with a kind of road map saying learn this first then this and so on?

I know this has not really anything to do with Puket but I'm asking the Phuket community so mod please :-)

i prefer to jump right into playing songs i love, its a way better way to keep you interest going than just chords and scales.

google 'any song you want guitar tab' and you find the chords and lead parts. 911tabs.com is a great place to find tabs.

i also HIGHLY recommend a product called guitar pro (you can get it on TBP but i probably shouldn't say that)

once you have guitar pro you can download songs for free for that which shows the rhythm and lead parts and usually has drum and bass

have fun

steve

Google anything , solo , scale whatever from youtube , just add lesson on the search and there are a million people, some pros and some ordinary,.. Great way to pick up a lick or whatever ......Too easy .......... Then it's just practice .... PS Jamming with someone also a great way CHOKDEE !!

Hi Bubblegum. I think I know what you want to do with the guitar i.e learn it as an instrument rather than just strumming chords. There is a way but you need dedication and patience. The first thing I should tell you is the guitar is not an easy instrument but with perseverance you can enjoy it. You should begin with; 1. A GOOD guitar and preferably a gut string acoustic one (not a steel string guitar) as it's easier on the fingers. Especially check the ACTION i.e. the height of the strings above the fret board. the width of the fret board i.e. not too narrow. Cheap guitars make learning much more difficult. and then;

2. Find a a good teacher. That might be difficult here in Phuket. However there are good Tutor books that can help you on your way, but really you do need supervision for at least the first 12 months. One book that comes to mind that I used for many years teaching my students that may still be around is Method for the Classical Guitar by Sophocles Papas. It's published by Columbia Music Co but it might be out of print now. I still have one copy which I bough 6 years or so ago. Now you might think this means some very difficult Classical guitar music which you're not really interested in. But uou'd be wrong.

3. A good guitar tutor book teaches you how to read and learn music at the same time you learn how to play the guitar finger style. The progress of the two should go together not one lead the other. The book I mentioned above is very easy to follow and at the end of the first 12 months you should be able to play some quite decent listenable guitar. I used to say to my students learn the basics and then decide what style you want to do. Learning what 'Keys" mean, how to construct chords. what an arpeggio is etc etc. is important. You don't teach a motor mechanic to just jump in to fix an engine before you teach him the basics. He has to be apprenticed and that's the same as learning the guitar correctly.

The main difficulty however for older people is the lacjk of flexibilty in the fingers. They tend to be too stiff especially if you have large fingers and especially if you've been a tradesman of some kind. But that shouldn't prevent you trying. Over time you will find your fingers responding but don't expect it too soon. I've been consideraing teaching again but as a retiree I cannot earn money here and I don't know how to get around it. Anyway good luck with you efforts

Edited by PlastikbinLina

tnx Steve but I'm aware of that. Thing is I want to learn the guitar not just the songs.

I look at many tabs and chords and can play maybe 60 % of them but I would like to make a little "solo" once in a while.

guitar pro is great for learning solos, it tabs out each note (string and fret) and you can play back at any speed until you get comfortable

you probably know already but Yamaha has a music school above Big C and i keep hearing an ad for a farang sounding music school on 89.5 radio, http://www.musiclessonsphuket.com/ but i know nothing about it

Edited by stevehaigh

You might want to look up ultimate guitar in google....All the tabs you will need and they also have guitar pro tabs. If you want to play along with tracks, try and google guitar backing tracks...Play along to youtube videos of your favourite songs, play along to the original songs, play along to anything....TV commercials, radio jingle etc...you will not only develop finger dexterity but most importantly develop your ear...Enjoy!

BTW I live in chalong and I teach guitar mostly to people just like yourself...non beginners who can already play and want to improve their existing skills.

I am also a pro musician and have performed almost everywhere in Phuket [and a great deal of the rest of the world too].

• 3 weeks later...

yes hurting fingers and the occasional broken string are true indications you are playing more and with intent.keep up the playing to backing tracks or record your own rhythm.. its much better to have something to play to for your solo practice

Hi bubblegum and everyone, this is my first post.

coursera.com have a beginners guitar course, provided by berklee who have more advanced online courses. It's online and you record your assignments to soundcloud to be graded by your peers. the instructor is great. and it's free.

mike

Hi bubblegum and everyone, this is my first post.

coursera.com have a beginners guitar course, provided by berklee who have more advanced online courses. It's online and you record your assignments to soundcloud to be graded by your peers. the instructor is great. and it's free.

mike

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. Had a look at the site but its not for me, know that stuff already