Great Road trips in Thailand

ExpatOilWorker

Top Gear have done many road trips over the years and there must be plenty of great road trips to be discovered in Thailand. Please share your favorite road. Turn, twists and hills are welcome.

I just went up along the east coast of the Srinakarin Dam, north of Kanchanaburi and what a great drive. Very little traffic and two sections are full of twisting mountain roads with 8% gradient.

Very green and lush nature. Sometime you are in a tunnel of green when the trees close in over the road and sometime you drive right next to the lake. All black top road.

post-119133-0-80826000-1387358582_thumb.

• Like 1

Phuket up the east coast to acroos to Tak-Mae Sot- Mae Hong Son-Pai-Chiang Dao-Mae Cha-Wiang Haeng- Piang Luang-Nong Oak-Doi Ang Khong- Fang-Mai Ai-Doi Mae Salong-Thoed Hai- Mae Fah Lunag- Mae Chan-Chiang Khong an off to laos :-)

Lots of twisty roads an following ridge tops and seeing very very few cars especailly after Chiang Dao till we hit Fang

Sound like a great and very long trip. Car or motor cycle?

I will really like to try some of the smaller roads in Nan province. Looks like some great mountain driving.

post-119133-0-90745000-1387421080_thumb.

took the car,

have driven a few roads around Nan,

Look at the gt-riders site for great motorcycle ( car) trips.

Laos is fantastic for bikes and cars,

In Oct we drove from Phuket down to Satun and then entered malaysia and across the top , great roads with fantastic scenery and than came back to Thailand at Betong and then up to Yalla.

Tore ur car apart an put it back togeather in 10 minutes!!!!

WOW those Singporeans work FAST :-)

Edited by phuketrichard

From Chiang Mai I have taken road trips on CBR to Chiang Rai, Lampang, Phitsanulok, Chum Phae, Udon Thani, Khon Kaen, Roi Et., Kamphaeng Phet, Tak, Nakon Sawan, Sari Buri. Loved every one. Then had a minor stroke, and had to sell the bike. But I am recovering and should be able to ride again around the end of Jan. Then I start again, this time on the new Ninja 300.

• Like 1

Recently bicycled from Udon Thani to Loei, stopped overnight and then on to Nakon Thai. That section passes the outskirts of Phue Rhea national park, some long climbs and stunning views across to Laos.

After stopping at Nakon Thai overnight, I cycled on to Uttardit. 90% of this section was on small meandering back roads with an amazing change in scenery from mountain roads onto a wide flood plain.

I cycled on to Chiang Mai, but mostly on main roads so not so interesting

• Like 1

We don't live in LOS but have driven almost everywhere North and NE and down to Trat. Mae Chan down to CM via Fang is a great trip. Thus Jan will be exploring Phayao to C Rai - Fang - Doi Ankhang then back to CM. Dunno if we can fit in Nan. Worth it anyone?.. My fave trip so far though is Nong Khai - Loei - Phetchabun - CM. The drive along the Mae Khong was like a trip back in time. Well 7-8 years ago it was anyway.

We don't live in LOS but have driven almost everywhere North and NE and down to Trat. Mae Chan down to CM via Fang is a great trip. Thus Jan will be exploring Phayao to C Rai - Fang - Doi Ankhang then back to CM. Dunno if we can fit in Nan. Worth it anyone?.. My fave trip so far though is Nong Khai - Loei - Phetchabun - CM. The drive along the Mae Khong was like a trip back in time. Well 7-8 years ago it was anyway.

Some of the roads around Nan are great, so I would say worth it. Take the 1148 when you leave Nan and head for Chiang Rai. I love that road, as well as many others in the area.

Took a really nice day trip out of Bangkok, past Hua Hin, down through Prachuap Kiri Khan and around the coastal roads of Prangbury; a little more than 3 hours to get there.

Stunning limestone kharsts similar to Krabi are everywhere and small fishing villages dot the coast. Surprisingly unspoiled for a coastal area so close to Bangkok. We were told that local property prices are skyrocketing so it wont last this way for long.

• 2 weeks later...