Odd Reaction at Local Gym

bonobo

Wonder if its mods duty to post on this forum to create more traffic ? I can't believe that with your experience in Thailand you keep writing this kind of questions... ?

Wonder if it`s your ambition to post on this forum to gain a one-upmanship on a mod like a big shot and try to decrease traffic on Thai visa, rather than having anything constructive to say on the actual theme of this thread.

So please specify, what point are you trying to make exactly?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am surprised that you were surprised! This idiotic face concept was at play. That's all. Obviously she didn't want proof that she was wrong. But she was wrong anyway so it doesn't matter.

"This idiotic face concept was at play"

You mean the reason for starting the thread?

Standard Olympic bars are 44.05lbs(in the US we just say 45lbs) or 20kg

Nonstandard weigh less.

Yep. Olympic bar is always 20kg.

Does the bar look standard size? If so, either the attendant is clueless and trying to save face, or its knockoff equipment.

To me this still appears to be some kind of scam, with the staff at these gyms trying to play it down.

Going back some years ago when I was well into keep fit and gym training, I used to suspect that the weights were marked up incorrectly and were under the mark up weight.

It would be interesting if there was sort of official investigation and to see what the results would be as I have no doubts that this is going on internationally and not only in Thailand.

Certainly an eye opener and a clue that all is not what it seems.

Easy:

She didn't know, so said the first thing that came to mind or agreed to what was put to her.

She was wrong, this cannot be admitted or put to her by others. But you did. You bad man, no good person, not good like Thai person.

A Thai wouldn't care and certainly wouldn't confront an other Thai about it. You had the answer: they weigh 12kg, so why push it.

Wonder if its mods duty to post on this forum to create more traffic ? I can't believe that with your experience in Thailand you keep writing this kind of questions... ?

Um ...you base that on the fact the forum has so few people posting..or..? blink.png

Strangely enough, I imagine admin/mods who live in Thailand actually have their own questions about life here too... or you think they are only here to keep an eye on our drivel? (LIke this one...actually)

To me this still appears to be some kind of scam, with the staff at these gyms trying to play it down.

Going back some years ago when I was well into keep fit and gym training, I used to suspect that the weights were marked up incorrectly and were under the mark up weight.

It would be interesting if there was sort of official investigation and to see what the results would be as I have no doubts that this is going on internationally and not only in Thailand.

..but how exactly would a scam like this work? For what purpose?

I mean, surely you would just add more weight then..just as you would normally if you feel your reps are getting too easy. Or you mean its an ego thing?

Edit: or you mean they are selling the customer short on equipment standards? ..so that may be across the board in all their equipment?

Edited by LaraC
  • Like 2

@Bonobo

It wasnt the bar that was the incorrect weight, it was the scales that didn't work properly, I have a similar problem, my scales tell me I weigh more than I really am, That's my theory and I'm sticking to it...Up to me, you choose....tongue.png

Your scales are wrong because when starting on zero when you get on , they are actually starting at a slightly higher or lower true weight. So when you get on your weight shows as lighter or heavier than it really is. But the scales are usually correct in that if you add a 20 kg weight as you stand on them then they will record 20 kg extra.

So the OP was right in accessing the weight of the weights.

If you want to get a correct weight using your scales then weigh yourself on scales showing your correct weight and then "zero" your scales to record that weight when you get on them.

Then you can show your 'misses' your true weight when she says " You hansum but verly fat" ... :-)

Yes, it's a face culture thing. This concept will eternally mystify me. Best thing you can do is know it when you see it and walk away from the conversation.

Yes, there's no point trying to educate a Thai. The mere concept is a grave insult to them. :rolleyes:

Really, it's actually hilarious. :D

I seem to be missing your point, either that or you are slipping into acute paranoia! biggrin.png Why on earth would they 'mark up' the weight?

If everyone that used the gym was lifting weights in the interests of power lifting therefore not lifting as much as they thought then I might somewhat be able to understand what your point is but it is not fair to say that most gym users are just there to tone or build up? Even if you are building and you struggle to lift as much as you normally can in say another gym (cos maybe the weights are 'marked up'???) no problem, you lift another weight to match your capabilities, you know in order to complete the number of reps you are targeting in your sets.

Maybe it's just me today, you know the weather or Democrats maybe (LOL) but can you please try to explain your theory a little better, just one more time please? biggrin.png

I doubt it. Remember, part of face culture is telling people what you think they want to hear. Chances are, dude walked up to the girl and asked her, "Is this 20 kg.?" And she said "yes". If he'd asked her, "Is this a banana?", she still would've said yes, then argued with him when he tried to show her otherwise.

• Like 1

I am not suggesting that there is some sort of scam going on, but there could be. When I was younger, there was a very successful bowling alley down the street. Several people, based on their scores, started spending countless days there practicing and getting lessons. It wasn't until a couple of folks started going to tournaments and consistently doing poorly that they found out the alley was grooving the lanes to perk up the scores, thereby keeping people interested. They do better at XXX Lanes then YYY Lanes, so let's all go to XXX Lanes.

If this gym has "fake" weights, then maybe people feel a boost of confidence by going there, and if they go to another gym, they can't do so well and don't feel the same boost.

The bar in question looked like an Olympic bar, but it was light. I wonder if the plates themselves were light, too.

The only two explanations that I can come up with for her actions are the saving face (not wanting to admit she made a mistake) and the purposeful over-marking/stating the weights. If there are any other theories or explanations, I would be interested in hearing them.

I am surprised that you were surprised! This idiotic face concept was at play. That's all. Obviously she didn't want proof that she was wrong. But she was wrong anyway so it doesn't matter.

"This idiotic face concept was at play"

You mean the reason for starting the thread?

You are obviously not a weight lifter, I understand the issue.. its stupid to have an olympic bar weigh less and then deny it does. It is a big thing. You just go back and fight real Thai bashing not something that is actually important to (some) of us.

I am not suggesting that there is some sort of scam going on, but there could be. When I was younger, there was a very successful bowling alley down the street. Several people, based on their scores, started spending countless days there practicing and getting lessons. It wasn't until a couple of folks started going to tournaments and consistently doing poorly that they found out the alley was grooving the lanes to perk up the scores, thereby keeping people interested. They do better at XXX Lanes then YYY Lanes, so let's all go to XXX Lanes.

If this gym has "fake" weights, then maybe people feel a boost of confidence by going there, and if they go to another gym, they can't do so well and don't feel the same boost.

The bar in question looked like an Olympic bar, but it was light. I wonder if the plates themselves were light, too.

The only two explanations that I can come up with for her actions are the saving face (not wanting to admit she made a mistake) and the purposeful over-marking/stating the weights. If there are any other theories or explanations, I would be interested in hearing them.

I think it must be a face thing, or they really don't know and were afraid to admit it. There is a reason there are olympic bars, to make sure that you get the right weights during an exercise.

Conspiracy theory my a*se. Can't believe some are even hinting at it!

What logical reason is there then to deny the fact that the bar is not 20 kg.

'Denying', conspiracies, who said that? Is he staring at me? cheesy.gif

Sorry, I just think it's probably a case of the girl or lady not really knowing and just giving a random answer, nothing more than that. Then with constant, confrontation on the issue, she probably just wanted the OP to disappear as she couldn't really answer his questions. This happens all the time, most Thai's I know don't like to be hassled.

• Like 1

Conspiracy theory my a*se. Can't believe some are even hinting at it!

What logical reason is there then to deny the fact that the bar is not 20 kg.

'Denying', conspiracies, who said that? Is he staring at me? cheesy.gif

Sorry, I just think it's probably a case of the girl or lady not really knowing and just giving a random answer, nothing more than that. Then with constant, confrontation on the issue, she probably just wanted the OP to disappear as she couldn't really answer his questions. This happens all the time, most Thai's I know don't like to be hassled.

Ok sorry did not get what you meant.. i mean your answer is logical .. conspiracy would be to make everyone feel good with their lifts by using a fake 20kg bar. My mistake.

Yow, man. I can't believe this essentially minor (real minor) interaction generated such controversy, debate and (yes, it's TVF so) even vitriol. I'm guessing the OP is also rather surprised. The Thai woman, on the other hand, she likely forgot about five seconds after she turned away. Guessing she was thinking: *Why this old farang asking me about weight of bar? I not owner, I no buy. If not heavy enough, put more plate on. Who care?* Then SNAP! Foreigner forgotten. ... *Where we have lunch and who gonna be there? Maybe new cute boy work at desk? ... Wait, who that young blond guy with big shoulder on lat pull-down. Never see him before. I see if he need spot..."

Edited by Wordworx

Yow, man. I can't believe this essentially minor (real minor) interaction generated such controversy, debate and (yes, it's TVF so) even vitriol. I'm guessing the OP is also rather surprised. The Thai woman, on the other hand, she likely forgot about five seconds after she turned away. Guessing she was thinking: *Why this old farang asking me about weight of bar? I not owner, I no buy. If not heavy enough, put more plate on. Who care?* Then SNAP! Foreigner forgotten. ... *Where we have lunch and who gonna be there? Maybe new cute boy work at desk? ... Wait, who that young blond guy with big shoulder on lat pull-down. Never see him before. I see if he need spot..."

Anyone lifting sees the problem... others dont.. one could assume that people working at a gym have some idea what they are doing.. obviously not.

Anyone lifting sees the problem... others dont.. one could assume that people working at a gym have some idea what they are doing.. obviously not.

I've been lifting for 30 years... wait, make that 32 years. I'm not seeing a major problem here. Young Thai woman in gym is likely not holding a masters in exercise physiology. Probably got hired because she works out and looks good. Similarly, in Watsons I would not quiz a sales girl about the composition of whitening products and ethics of selling such. (Not addressing OP, here. Other more *energetic* respondents.)

More of less on the grounds of what I am saying is that these outfits can gain by fixing their equipment and I would guess that`s more likely than just a member of staff trying to save face.

One way to put this to the test is try the weighting scales test when you visit that gym again.