Protesters march in Bangkok in bid to oust PM Yingluck, but turnout low

webfact

Thai protesters march in bid to oust PM, but turnout low
BY AMY SAWITTA LEFEVRE

(Reuters) - Anti-government protesters marched in Bangkok on Thursday in a bid to force Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra from office but their numbers appeared far smaller than earlier in the month, when she called a snap election to try to defuse the crisis.

Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban is demanding political and electoral reforms before any vote is held and wants these to be overseen by a "people's council" his movement will help nominate rather than by Yingluck, who is caretaker prime minister until the election, set for February 2.

About 2,500 people marched along one of the city's main roads holding banners that read "We are anti-corruption" and "No elections before reform". Others are expected to join as they move through central business areas.

One sign read: "We will not accept Square Face", a nickname given to former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, Yingluck's brother and the figure at the centre of Thailand's eight-year, on-off political crisis. [read more...]

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/19/us-thailand-protest-idUSBRE9BI03M20131219

-- REUTERS 2013-12-19

• Like 1

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear! Just 2,500 sheep trotting along behind little Benito. Somehow I don't think that he is going to get his two million on Sunday, but then it should have been obvious to anyone that his support is seriously slipping away as his demands grow ever more threatening and bombastic.

Come down from Chaing Mai and have a real look of what is going on in Bangkok!

I'm in Thailand 30 years and I never seen that!

I was watching them at Asoke, and at first there appeared to be 500-1000. Then a couple more groups turned up. When they left, I reckon there might have been 4-5000 gathered there. Many were from businesses in the area, so wouldn't have continued on with the protesters and speakers when they moved off up Sukhumvit.

About 2,500 people marched along one of the city's main roads holding banners that read "We are anti-corruption"

Why are they supporting Mr. Palm Oil man Suthep then? huh.png

It is not that much about Suthep! It is AGAINST SHINAWAT (Yingluck & Thaksin)!

• Like 2

About 2,500 people marched along one of the city's main roads holding banners that read "We are anti-corruption"

Well done. You almost got the joke. ;)

• Like 1

ONLY ??? 2500 ??

Have to ask suthep, he will say minimum 2 500 000 ship.

Other way I had "luck" to meet them in Asok Montree. They made a huge traffic jam, but off course this idiot suthep cheers it and likes it.

• Like 2

Well done. You almost got the joke. ;)

no, soup noodle.

Sounds like a damp squib. Maybe he should call off Sunday or risk looking even stupider than he does already!

Most of the protestors I came across this afternoon, were on their way to the shopping malls, but did have whistles.

You will see Sunday!

And when you look this picture, do you really think that they are on them way to the shopping malls?

1476407_417645151671588_703438801_n.jpg

Or maybe they should look like this =>

red-shirt-violence-thailand.jpg

They don't need their swords yet as the government hasn't (and hopefully won't) send in the army!

• Like 2

Sounds like a damp squib. Maybe he should call off Sunday or risk looking even stupider than he does already!

Most of the protestors I came across this afternoon, were on their way to the shopping malls, but did have whistles.

You will see Sunday!

And when you look this picture, do you really think that they are on them way to the shopping malls?

They don't need their swords yet as the government hasn't (and hopefully won't) send in the army!

You are missing the point here! The peoples who protest now (look at the 1st picture) do not go to the shopping mall!

They are there to oust K. Yinglack Shinawat and all her goonies!

Edited by ManopY
  • Like 2

You will see Sunday!

You are missing the point here! The peoples who protest now (look at the 1st picture) do not go to the shopping mall!

They are there to oust K. Yinglack Shinawat and all her goonies!

There's an election coming up on 2 February, so let's see what the rest of the Thai people want!

• Like 2