Kevlar jeans

robblok

I just got a pair of kevlar jeans to add to my other protective measures. I know full leathers would be much better but these jeans with kevlar and knee pads are better as nothing.

What i liked was once you remove the knee pads they are actually stylish to wear and they walk ok (not that great witht he foam kneepads in).

I got a rev it jacked and some gloves already plus some dr marten boots (unless real riding boots make a huge difference ill stick with those)

Now my question was what do you guys wear for protection.

I understand on track it would be different but if you drive a lot in the city you want something that does not get too warm. On long trips leathers might also be good because once you get out of bkk you don't get that much stuck in traffic.

For me safety is something that is comfortable to wear a lot else i might skip it too easily.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you get them in Thailand Rob?

I wear either Alpine Star thick leather jacket with elbow, shoulder and back armor if its cooler, or mesh jacket with internal armor and back protector if its hot. Alpine Star proper boots and gloves, but usually jeans on shorter rides. Full leather on longer. Always wear a jacket, boots, gloves and good helmet.

But I do feel exposed on the legs with jeans. I'd be ripped to shreds if I come off.

I'm loath to order online in case the sizing is wrong. Where did you get them?

• Like 1

Did you get them in Thailand Rob?

I wear either Alpine Star thick leather jacket with elbow, shoulder and back armor if its cooler, or mesh jacket with internal armor and back protector if its hot. Alpine Star proper boots and gloves, but usually jeans on shorter rides. Full leather on longer. Always wear a jacket, boots, gloves and good helmet.

But I do feel exposed on the legs with jeans. I'd be ripped to shreds if I come off.

I'm loath to order online in case the sizing is wrong. Where did you get them?

I got them at Panda riders today. I thought i included a link i must have forgotten.

http://www.pandarider.com/Panda/Product_Pants_PromoJeans.htm

I am not saying they will save my life but that they are better as normal jeans and the foam in the knees might help a bit too. Its not like the whole jean is made of kevlar just the points that are supposed to need it.

Since i drive the ninja 650 im getting a bit more gear.. strange actually as i am not going that much faster as with the cbr 250. Maybe i just start to become more safety conscious.

Drayko Jeans (sold as Draggin' Jeans in some countries, I believe) are the only one that have passed the CE-level one abrasion test- they run a bit warm, but they aren't bad. For casual riding I'll wear them with Forcefield Limb Tubes and EVS hip/coccyx protection.

I have a lot of riding gear, and I mix-and-match for riding and weather conditions.;)

• Like 1

Drayko Jeans (sold as Draggin' Jeans in some countries, I believe) are the only one that have passed the CE-level one abrasion test- they run a bit warm, but they aren't bad. For casual riding I'll wear them with Forcefield Limb Tubes and EVS hip/coccyx protection.

I have a lot of riding gear, and I mix-and-match for riding and weather conditions.wink.png

I applaud you sir.. in my book Thailand has only hot and hotter weather and rain but i try to avoid riding then. biggrin.png

Seems the Italian ones i bought are also tested.. but not sure what tested according to EN 13595 means

I've got a bit of a thing for gear- I try to be ready for all temperature conditions, but I really should have more water-proof stuff (at least one full set)- this is what I've got at the moment:

Alpinestars Orbiter suit

Dainese Rebel perforated leather jacket

Dainese G. 3 Air textile jacket

Vanson Pro Perf Mark 2 Sportrider jacket

Teknic Violator perforated leather jacket

AGV Sport Topanga perforated leather jacket

Fieldsheer perforated leather jacket

Icon Stryker Rig armored mesh jacket

Alpinestars T-GP Plus Air textile jacket

AGV Sport Willow perforated leather pants

Teknic Chicane leather pants

Drayko Renegade jeans

Alpinestars A10 Air-Flo textile pants

Spidi Race Vent gloves

Knox Handroid gloves

Alpinestars Supertech R boots

Alpinestars SMX-1 boots

Sidi Vortice vented boots

Shoei RF-1100

Shoei GT-Air

Various armor from Knox, Forcefield, and Alpinestars for back, hips, knees, chest, including Bionic Race back protector, Bionic shorts, and Dainese Norsorex vest

EN tests for abrasion just guaranties a minimum amount of seconds of abrasion resistance, I think it's 4 or 6 seconds.

http://www.roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.au/a/88.html

http://www.satra.co.uk/spotlight/article_view.php?id=248

I've been looking to buy a Kevlar jeans for a while, the badass I only find for 5900 cheapest. but I dont like their quality.

Drayko Jeans, which are the only ones I want to get costs less than 6000 baht with shipping from abroad, but I Am sure they will put 40% tax on them when arriving here.

and I would like to try them before buying online...

I've got a bit of a thing for gear- I try to be ready for all temperature conditions, but I really should have more water-proof stuff (at least one full set)- this is what I've got at the moment:

Alpinestars Orbiter suit

Drayko Renegade jeans

Spidi Race Vent gloves

Knox Handroid gloves

Alpinestars SMX-1 boots

Shoei RF-1100

Shoei GT-Air

Various armor from Knox, Forcefield, and Alpinestars for back, hips, knees, chest, including Bionic Race back protector, Bionic shorts, and Dainese Norsorex vest

man, you've got some really nice gear there!

where did you get your Drayko Renegade jeans?

I'm willing to buy online, but i'm just concerned about the size without trying it.

I also need to a CE back protector to fit on my Scorpion Jacket.

Alpinestars Orbiter suit

Drayko Renegade jeans

Spidi Race Vent gloves

Knox Handroid gloves

Alpinestars SMX-1 boots

Shoei RF-1100

Shoei GT-Air

Wow. The Gear-Man.

I don't remember the eBay seller- I would have gone for the best deal.;)

I read every review I could find before ordering (Revzilla is always good for size reviews) and pretty much all said they ran a size large, so I went a size below what I usually wear in jeans and they were fine.

I agree it's risky ordering gear online- I research everything thoroughly, and I almost always get it right.;)

That said, there are different styles of a Drayko jeans and I don't know if the size discrepancy is consistent down the line.

I'd try to get some 'proper' boots ASAP.

My housemate has had two crashes - first one broke his ankle (normal shoes - like the DR.s)

Second one he walked away from - largely due to the fact he was wearing boots (Alpine Stars FWIW)

It is not the physical protection so much as the protection against twisting according to the doc.

So don't be fooled into thinking that normal boots will help just because they are 'boots'.

Just my 2c.

Ride safe!

• Like 2

My housemate has had two crashes - first one broke his ankle (normal shoes - like the DR.s)

Second one he walked away from - largely due to the fact he was wearing boots (Alpine Stars FWIW)

It is not the physical protection so much as the protection against twisting according to the doc.

So don't be fooled into thinking that normal boots will help just because they are 'boots'.

Just my 2c.

Ride safe!

Ok that is the kind of info i like because i really thought it was the leather thickness plus the fact these were boots and covered the ankle. Thanks a million for that. I will look into it.

for the streets and while going to work i use a combination of these, revit ignition 2 jacket, ugly bros jeans with ce protection and Style Martin short rider shoes or tactical boots with metal toe and sole. I prefer to use half gloves. I have a RS Taichi and custom leather half gloves. I also have a Komine full mesh jacket with ce protection that i rarely use now. when i wear work pants, i mostly use Alpinestars knee protector too.

for the track, it is dainese full leather two piece suit - so i can sometime wear dainese jacket alone on the streets - sidi vertigo boots, komine track gloves, dainese protection underwear and other armor.

i have a Shoei, HJC and Bilmola Helmets.

I suggest everyone to wear proper protection gear at all times on a big bike depending on your riding conditions. If hot and a short ride to work, a mesh jacket, if longer rides, full leather. - I am sure i dont need to state wearing helmet at all times even for going 7/11 for 1 km, i am sure we are all aware of this and doing this way.

Once you start to ride big bikes, your brain starts to ask more protection instinctively and suddenly as chance of gettign hurt is higher and damage is mostly more severe.

Good point about the helmet, i NEVER ride without one unless in our gated community (quite small and low speeds almost no traffic).

Yes since i made the switch i have been thinking of better protection, i don't even feel that safe anymore on the scooter when doing 100. It just feel so unstable compared to the big bike doing the same.. not to mention the brakes.

I have been using Kevlar jeans for around town riding for about 20 years - Draggin (Aust) brand with the burlap like woven Kevlar panels at the knees, butt, and outside leg areas.

Thankfully I have not had the opportunity to butt test them

I see Korean "Kevlar" jeans without the clearly visible Kevlar panels, but interwoven?? Kevlar. It is not clear how the Kevlar is incorporated, how much, nor what weight of aramid fiber. I think that Bad Ass brand are the same construction

How effective are these type compared to the traditional panel type Kevlar like Draggin brand

Just my 2c.

Ride safe!

Ok that is the kind of info i like because i really thought it was the leather thickness plus the fact these were boots and covered the ankle. Thanks a million for that. I will look into it.

I thought the same as you until my mate had his first spill - then I went out and bought some proper boots straight away!

Let us know what you end up getting.

If you want a low-cut boot, you can find the Alpinestars SMX-1 boots shipped to LOS fairly cheaply (they might be available locally at a decent price somewhere)- I have a pair for casual riding- I really like them and they don't stand out so they're fine off the bike, but they do give up some protection to a full boot. For a reasonably-priced full boot that offers a lot of features and safety (though not the most comfort), the new SMX-6 vented boots look like a very good buy.

• Like 1

Just my 2c.

Ride safe!

Totally agree.

I wear Alpine Star boots - full length - for any bike bigger than a scooter.

After you have worn full boots, going back to a normal shoe or boot has your ankles and feet feeling very exposed should anything happen.

I feel the same way about gloves and generally wear longer gloves that are firmly over the wrists rather than sport gloves...

Good advice on this thread for a change. Thanks.

If you're only interested in protection, I would say the following:

The Sidi Vortice Air boots are about the most protective boots you can buy- they're not terribly comfortable and they take a long time to put on, and you look really strange in them unless you're within touching-distance of a motorcycle, but if I had a crash I'd want to be wearing a pair:

Sidi_Vortice_Air_Boots_detail.jpg

The Alpinestars Supertech R boots are also up there in protection, but they have an inner-bootie system and can get pretty warm- they're also fairly comfortable if you need to walk in them, and don't have a sci-fi look like the Sidis:

2008_alpinestars_supertech_r_boots.jpg

There are also some really nice boots from Dianese, TCX, and a couple other manufacturers, as well as others in the Alpinestars and Sidi lines- expect to pay $300-$500. Your feet will nearly always hit the ground in a crash, and force transmitted up your leg is the most prevalent cause of knee injuries (meaning your knee doesn't have to hit the ground to be screwed up)- the best boots reduce this force, and also have braces to reduce torsional strain on your ankle.

http://www.pandarider.com/Revit/RevitProductsFootwear.html

would the fighter H20 be any good.. full boot is a bit big right now.

I like Rev'It stuff, and the reviews on the boots are decent, but the price is really bad, even for LOS- it's a discontinued style, and they were going for the equivalent of 4200 baht when they were closed-out- for 8K, you can get much better boots, or spend less on an equivalent/better boot like the SMX-1 or Streetburner boots mentioned on this thread (even with shipping and import taxes).

http://www.pandarider.com/Revit/RevitProductsFootwear.html

would the fighter H20 be any good.. full boot is a bit big right now.

I like Rev'It stuff, and the reviews on the boots are decent, but the price is really bad, even for LOS- it's a discontinued style, and they were going for the equivalent of 4200 baht when they were closed-out- for 8K, you can get much better boots, or spend less on an equivalent/better boot like the SMX-1 or Streetburner boots mentioned on this thread (even with shipping and import taxes).

Ok boots i would not have a problem with ordering online i know my size and spending too much for nothing is not a good thing.

I see the alpinestar boots on ebay.. They are indeed a whole lot cheaper and if they are better too SMX-1 why not. I can wait a bit it wont kill me. Even with taxes it might still be cheaper (depending if they attract tax and how much)