Kevlar jeans

robblok

I bought my SMX-1 boots on sale through an eBay seller who was letting them go for $100 +$69 shipping to LOS (normal price is $169 without shipping)- I paid 1K in taxes, so the whole deal cost me a bit over 6K- this was only a couple months ago.

Note I'm a US size '12', and A* boots have a tendency to run a bit big- I ordered Euro size 46 and they're perfect, where I'm size 47 in some other boots- just FYI- it was the same for my A* Supertech R boots.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok placed the order.. i believe you know a lot more then me about gear (at least this kind of gear). Thanks for the help. Just like to be safe on the road (or at least as safe as possible).

If they attract no tax they will be 5590 inclusive shipping.. if they do attract tax they will be quite expensive a shoes are 100% tax ?

They aren't going by a courier so we will see.

Cool- for a short boot you can't go wrong with them.wink.png

As I mentioned, I was hit with tax of about 35%- I've ordered shoes before, and I've never been hit harder than that.

I was wondering about that as i looked up the tarifs it said 100% but there were some exceptions. I will see.. to be honest your tax does not sound too much.

Panda rider has discount on daytona boots and they are one of the best made in Germany. I was there two weeks ago and a nice full daytona strive gore tex boot was around 10 k thb after discount cheaper that USA or European price! it is good for mixed riding.

I use Sidi Vertigo. It is really strong and i like the design of it. I bought it for 8500 thb from Paddock, it was in discount and it has good ventilation. but not so comfy as daytona boots still more protection.

post-184955-0-05025500-1387524576_thumb.

post-184955-0-12083900-1387524585_thumb.

Edited by ll2

I recently bought a pair of Forma Adventure boots from Paddock. Extremely comfortable, water resistant (rode through pouring rain in Doi Inthanon last weekend). Highly recommend for not being OTT for normal road riding / touring. Offers fairly good protection as well.

post-143305-0-38074700-1387526666_thumb.

The best and most certified and crash proven jeans in the world are made by HOOD /Kyrano ltd in the UK I have 3 pairs and have crashed one pair and they worked really well ,they are a little warm in thailand but brilliant quality and made to measure as well ..

Scorpion Helmet

Cortex perferated leather jacket

Cortex perforated leather pants

AGV kevlar jeans

Shit gloves

I forgot my joe rocket shoes in Vietnam.

I wear the everything but the leather pants on the way to work and leather on trips

I do have a habit of gloves and helmet only inside the city and sometimes regular jeans....

Mesh jacket with shoulder, elbow and back protectors.

Alpinestar vented boots SMX-5

Gloves - various but with double thick palms and armor back.

HJC helmet

Still looking for some pants that I can wear with comfort.

I use these TCX Move available at pandarider. A bit stiff at first but broke them in a bit and now they are pretty comfortable. My ankles definitely feel more secure. I have kevlar jeans too. I can't say how good they are as I've never had to test them yet.

post-80215-0-51784500-1387540430_thumb.j

^^ completely agree with the above comment about 'good advice' in a thread for a change!

And FWIW - I find the SIDI Streetburner boots great for the shorter-boot choice as well.

You guys talked about buying things online from the US...I was told to ship USPS Priority and they don't tax you like they do for UPS and DHL...So far it's worked for me.

I recently bought a Honda CRF 250M...It's a fun bike...Does anyone know of any riders I might contact...I found you guys and I'd like to ride the Northeast as I have now retired to Chiang Mai...I'm restricted to paved roads as my bike only has street tires unlike the 250L.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Vagabond

^^ I am in BKK, otherwise I'd be down for sure (just got my CRF back on the road after a few-month hiatus).

I have had some luck with USPS, but I've also been stung....so now I use a 'middleman' and pay 450bt/kg flat rate. (this works better for light & expensive things obviously!). I was given the contact by a Thai friend, but I believe you can find them on sites like Pantip if you have a Thai friend to help you.

Hope you are enjoying your new machine!

If you ride in regular jeans, I highly recommend adding some decent, unobtrusive knee protection. I love my Forcefield Limb Tubes (smaller sizes can go on your elbows/forearms)- they offer CE-rated impact protection, and you'll hardly know they're on- they're available at Panda Rider:

forcefieldlimbtubesknee.jpg

If you ride in regular jeans, I highly recommend adding some decent, unobtrusive knee protection. I love my Forcefield Limb Tubes (smaller sizes can go on your elbows/forearms)- they offer CE-rated impact protection, and you'll hardly know they're on- they're available at Panda Rider:

Thanks. Will check these out next time I am in BKK. Does Panda usually have them in stock ??

If you want a low-cut boot, you can find the Alpinestars SMX-1 boots shipped to LOS fairly cheaply (they might be available locally at a decent price somewhere)- I have a pair for casual riding- I really like them and they don't stand out so they're fine off the bike, but they do give up some protection to a full boot. For a reasonably-priced full boot that offers a lot of features and safety (though not the most comfort), the new SMX-6 vented boots look like a very good buy.

Recently bought some vented SMX-6 from riders outlet, much more safety features than the SMX-5 they replace and uber comfortable, was really surprised by how they were to walk in and look great too.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Thanks. Will check these out next time I am in BKK. Does Panda usually have them in stock ??

Possibly as they just got a big delivery of stock (according to their FB page)- shoot them an email or give them a call.

If you want a low-cut boot, you can find the Alpinestars SMX-1 boots shipped to LOS fairly cheaply (they might be available locally at a decent price somewhere)- I have a pair for casual riding- I really like them and they don't stand out so they're fine off the bike, but they do give up some protection to a full boot. For a reasonably-priced full boot that offers a lot of features and safety (though not the most comfort), the new SMX-6 vented boots look like a very good buy.

Recently bought some vented SMX-6 from riders outlet, much more safety features than the SMX-5 they replace and uber comfortable, was really surprised by how they were to walk in and look great too.

That's good to hear as I'm considering a pair for general street use as I'd like something more protective than my SMX-1 boots for when I ride at a higher pace (though for casual riding the SMX-1 boots can't be beaten for comfort combined with decent protection), but not as hardcore as my Vortice or Supertech R boots.

How much were they at Riders Outlet? The only issue I have with them is they tend not to stock larger sizes (I wear a 54 jacket and they often only sell up to 52, though they sometimes go bigger- same with boots as I need 46/47 and they usually stock up to 44/45).

Edited by RubberSideDown

What I use and where purchased.

Shoei XR1100 Helmet (Ridersoutlet)

HJC CS-16 (cheap everyday 3* rated helmet from Panda)

RS Taichi mesh jacket with elbow/shoulder/back/chest armor and RS Taichi Riding pants with knee/hip armor (Paddock)

UglyBros jeans with CE certified Powertector knee/hip armor (Panda)

A* SMX-6 Vented boots (Ridersoutlet)

Sidi sport rain boots (Paddock)

Shift ankle boots (Dirtshop)

AGV Sport race gloves (US Import)

Spidi air back protector (Paddock)

Rubbersidedown, my SMX-6 were 8000baht (normally 8500baht but discounted as a returning customer) and size 45. Jack speaks very good English and very helpful, he could probably order bigger sizes, worth dropping by. Well worth buying, great protection for a street boot and very comfortable, did I mention they look great too :-)

Does anyone have a pair of Baddass kevlars ?

The price seems attractive, I like the detailing ( but no hip protection ? ) but i prefer my jeans slightly baggy and from the pics, they are quite tight, in a Thai style.

Edited by recom273

Those look very comfortable & useful

Looking at Panda I see this company also makes these "Action Shorts"

thinking about it I would consider maybe opting for the action shorts with the limb tubes

over kevlar jeans

The same impact/abrasion areas seemed covered & these look more comfortable

( as long as not too bulky?)

as well as maybe offering better protection on the hip & upper thigh which I know are

vulnerable spots. 7800 baht all done

Protection_FF_FF30221.jpg

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1

^

I've got a Forcefield back protector as well as the Limb Tubes- their stuff is really top-notch. I've been considering an action shirt, but I really don't need the forearm protection as all my jackets have it built in, but it's just such a cool piece of gear.;)

Your idea would work well- I'd feel comfortable riding in that.

I've got a pair of A* Bionic Freeride shorts that I wear under my leathers, but in retrospect I should have bought the Forcefield Action shorts.

alpinestars_Bionic_Freeride_Short_400.jp

Edited by RubberSideDown

Those look very comfortable & useful

Looking at Panda I see this company also makes these "Action Shorts"

thinking about it I would consider maybe opting for the action shorts with the limb tubes

over kevlar jeans

The same impact/abrasion areas seemed covered & these look more comfortable

( as long as not too bulky?)

as well as maybe offering better protection on the hip & upper thigh which I know are

vulnerable spots. 7800 baht all done

Protection_FF_FF30221.jpg

They are a must for track days. But too much for casual riding imo. I have dainese shorts with full protection. I think i bought it around 5 k.

Back to kevlar jeans, nothign compare with leather.

So check this out. I am at honda bike fest and track day at bonanza kao yai at this moment and a japanese shop with japanese staff are selling this. Leather washable perforated jeans. Made in japan, explorer brand. Looks good and better protection. 15 k thb and they say best seller in japan. No protection but have pockets so you can put whatever brand you like which is also cool.

Tempted!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post-184955-13876168399315_thumb.jpg

post-184955-13876168562617_thumb.jpg

is there much difference between the SMX 1 and the SMX 2?

I bought my SMX-1 boots on sale through an eBay seller who was letting them go for $100 +$69 shipping to LOS (normal price is $169 without shipping)- I paid 1K in taxes, so the whole deal cost me a bit over 6K- this was only a couple months ago.

Note I'm a US size '12', and A* boots have a tendency to run a bit big- I ordered Euro size 46 and they're perfect, where I'm size 47 in some other boots- just FYI- it was the same for my A* Supertech R boots.