Buying a new bike

dogpoo

I have been looking to buy a new bike, my criteria is it should be automatic and shaft drive, obviously my options are very limited as most of the bikes with these options are very expensive, recently though the opportunity to buy a bike with a price tag of 960k has presented itself, the reason being is that the price has been dropped to 680k I think it was a special offer because of the bike show and wanting to clear stock to make way for new models(not sure about these reasons though, what annoys me about dealers is that the bikes on show do not have any information regarding accessories(well some do but in this case the VFR had nothing other than the specification in Thai, if I am going to spend this amount of money and to me it is a very big deal, I want to know about the luggage that is available, I have asked the dealer about the luggage but the answer I get is "we don't know, we have to find out" I want to know straight away if I am to part with so much money, I want to know about the insurance does the bike come with breakdown insurance! how much are replacement tires, what are the service costs, am I expecting to much from these people, Kawasaki have the NInja1000 in stock, they have the luggage in stock, that are able to give me the information I ask for so why can't Honda do the same, the Ninja is an amazing looking bike at a very good price for what you get, the downside for me is that it is manual, I have no problem with driving manuals as I have done so all my life, getting older means I want something that is not so tiring in traffic, the traffic here is horrible, still waiting for Big wing to tell me the price of the luggage, why does it take so long? I have the option of keeping my Forza which is just fantastic in the traffic and not bad on a long run, my love for big bikes is never ending though, I never use them to there full potential, riding bikes like these give me enormous pleasure even at lower speeds, to me it's not about driving fast or cornering fast it's just being on a bike whatever it's size and cc.

The Kawasaki is 711k on the road including 1st class insurance and the color coded luggage, the VFR is 700k including the insurance still have no idea about other costs!

Edited by dogpoo
  • Like 1

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i told you before.

buy a honda cb500x as from your posts what i understand, you dont need more for your xp level and conditions. You can get all touring amenities for it for around 30 k, panniers, top box, crash protectors and many more.

Or if automatic, get a Honda nc700x which is a very good value and reliable down to earth bike.

If you have a lot of money to throw on a bike which you will most probably never have a chance to exploit, just get a Ninja1000 or Honda vfr1200.

My opinion.. and it will be cast aside as you seem to need to have the best of the best.

Buy the cb500x with all the luggage for it it will suit your needs the best.

I do agree that you don't need to use a bike to its fullest to enjoy it. I will never take my ninja 650 to its top speed but i love its torque and how it handles. But that being said something of 500-700 cc would fulfill all you need everything above that wont be noticed by you. It might only be the satisfaction of having the best money can buy, with your mind for change it does not make much sense (except for the guy who will buy it from you in one or 2 years) (your own admission)

I think once you got full luggage you can use the cb500x just like your forza. I got the ninja and a scooter just because for some things the small scooter is easy. But keeping 2 biggish bikes that fulfill the same role (except that you don't have to add on luggage to the forza and it can transport your rod how you like it) it does not do many different things.

As a pleasure rider, I now concede I am not a real biker if that definition includes the wearing of protective gear, knowing everything there is to know about motorbikes, riding out with clubs etc my expertise is high for pleasure riding, I have no problems handling powerful bikes at the speeds I drive, my riding history proves this, anyway that's besides the point back to the topic, money is an issue and the two bikes mentioned are expensive so for me the NC700 would be the obvious choice, I have an addiction to big powerful bikes which as I said previously I never drive to there full potential, so this time I am going to try(notice I say try, and be sensible and give them a pass, even though I want one of them sooooooo much!!

I am off to Big wing to take another look at the NC700!

Edited by dogpoo

My opinion.. and it will be cast aside as you seem to need to have the best of the best.

Buy the cb500x with all the luggage for it it will suit your needs the best.

I do agree that you don't need to use a bike to its fullest to enjoy it. I will never take my ninja 650 to its top speed but i love its torque and how it handles. But that being said something of 500-700 cc would fulfill all you need everything above that wont be noticed by you. It might only be the satisfaction of having the best money can buy, with your mind for change it does not make much sense (except for the guy who will buy it from you in one or 2 years) (your own admission)

I think once you got full luggage you can use the cb500x just like your forza. I got the ninja and a scooter just because for some things the small scooter is easy. But keeping 2 biggish bikes that fulfill the same role (except that you don't have to add on luggage to the forza and it can transport your rod how you like it) it does not do many different things.

Yes I change bikes and cars often, there is always something else I want, it's not good being like this when you are not wealthy! again you are right with me it is about owning the best my money can buy! this time I am going to pass on the big expensive bikes and try for the first time in my life to be sensible, it's been fun along the way though!

The NC700 does look very good and will suit my needs perfectly!

ahh dogpoo is back with YET another big bike buying tread, ha-ha.

I am on the market myself but due to all the bikes very likely hitting the market at much lower prices as we ever seen in Thailand, I have decided to wait.

Yamaha will maybe start selling the new exciting YS-09 (is that the right name??), 3 cyl 8xxcc 113hp bike.

BMW will start selling a 800cc here next near and perhaps Triumphs can be had at much lower prices as well.

The Thai big bike marked have never looked better as it does now and the next 1-2 years so now is a good time being patient.

Honda don't sell anything I am remotely interested in, just booooooring main stream machines, no thanks.

Don't be like that I love motorbikes!!

• Like 1

i told you before.

buy a honda cb500x as from your posts what i understand, you dont need more for your xp level and conditions. You can get all touring amenities for it for around 30 k, panniers, top box, crash protectors and many more.

Or if automatic, get a Honda nc700x which is a very good value and reliable down to earth bike.

If you have a lot of money to throw on a bike which you will most probably never have a chance to exploit, just get a Ninja1000 or Honda vfr1200.

Yes, the NC700X with DCT and ABS is excellent value at it's new lower price and it is also made in Japan. Owners also say it's fun to ride and a great all rounder.

I am on the market myself but due to all the bikes very likely hitting the market at much lower prices as we ever seen in Thailand, I have decided to wait.

Yamaha will maybe start selling the new exciting YS-09 (is that the right name??), 3 cyl 8xxcc 113hp bike.

BMW will start selling a 800cc here next near and perhaps Triumphs can be had at much lower prices as well.

The Thai big bike marked have never looked better as it does now and the next 1-2 years so now is a good time being patient.

Honda don't sell anything I am remotely interested in, just booooooring main stream machines, no thanks.

Triumphs are being discounted? More info please.

Just back from big wing, they had the CB/CBR 650's on show, wow fantastic looking bikes, the tri color with gold wheels is simply superb, the workmanship on the exhausts is very impressive, sat on it but not before being warned to be careful, the NC700 is a great bike and it suits my needs, waiting to hear on the total price for the bike and a price for my Forza, the VFR was still there, it made me go weak at the knees, love that bike!!

I have been looking to buy a new bike, my criteria is it should be automatic and shaft drive

Then the VFR1200 is the only bike that fits your criteria.

That is true, I love the bike but it's just too much for me considering it will be mostly used in and around Phuket, just been reading another thread about problems with a Kawa's ABS system, it brings to the forefront one of my big concerns with owning a big complicated bike here, the competence of mechanics here seems to be a big problem and that is a concern for me as I can not do any work on bikes myself!!

Well if you check the topic: Why are Triumphs so expensive here? you find the answers.

I guess that my reading comprehension isn't very good. I have read that thread and didnt see anything that would make me think their prices are coming down. Now if someone said competition was driving their price down that is a possibility.

A Thruxton was still 750,000THB on Wednesday afternoon, No mention of a discount.

Maybe it's on specific models and it wasn't mentioned because a Thruxton isn't one of them.

Jerry

Dogpoo, I thought you had put a down payment down on a CB 500 X, then you ordered a Versys, and now you are stuck between a VFR 1200 and a NC 700 X DCT.

Is there any bike you don't own or is it all, a sort of fantasy ownership in a virtual world of your own making?

• Like 1

Dogpoo, I thought you had put a down payment down on a CB 500 X, then you ordered a Versys, and now you are stuck between a VFR 1200 and a NC 700 X DCT.

Is there any bike you don't own or is it all, a sort of fantasy ownership in a virtual world of your own making?

Lol no mate, no fantasy, I'm just taking my time, going into it a lot before making a final decision! I haven't put any deposits down and I won't until I am a 100% sure I am buying the right bike!

All I can say for sure at the moment is that I have particular needs and wants in a bike, this has now narrowed the choice down to two bikes the VFR1200 and the NC700, at the moment the NC700 is top choice, will make a decision and order one of these two bikes next week!

Both these bikes are at a lower price, VFR 680k and the NC700 355k I believe they will revert to the higher price at the end of this month!!

Edited by dogpoo
  • Like 1

Lol no mate, no fantasy, I'm just taking my time, going into it a lot before making a final decision! I haven't put any deposits down and I won't until I am a 100% sure I am buying the right bike!

All I can say for sure at the moment is that I have particular needs and wants in a bike, this has now narrowed the choice down to two bikes the VFR1200 and the NC700, at the moment the NC700 is top choice, will make a decision and order one of these two bikes next week!

Rode vfr1200 today for 5 laps at bonanza.

Good bike, smooth as hell and dct works well but i of course rode it at manual. There is a delay on gear changes at manual. It sounds also great. but too heavy for me. It is too much for thailand imo and not a great track bike as it feels like dropping into corners. But i m sure dream to tour.

Get nc700x dogpoo.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Rode vfr1200 today for 5 laps at bonanza.

Good bike, smooth as hell and dct works well but i of course rode it at manual. There is a delay on gear changes at manual. It sounds also great. but too heavy for me. It is too much for thailand imo and not a great track bike as it feels like dropping into corners. But i m sure dream to tour.

Get nc700x dogpoo.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes you are right the NC700 is more than enough and looks great loaded with extras, as much as I would like to own the VFR for me the price tag is hefty, the NC 700 would be perfect for my usage so I guess this bike is the chosen one, I will be going back to Big Wing on Monday for a final look and decision!