Phuket Opinion: Hold the icy judgments of police volunteers

Lite Beer

@ IrishIvan

"As they are unpaid they have no real powers. Am I correct?" - I believe they have the power to make a citizens arrest, as we all do, if we see a crime being committed.

Yes it's the same all over the world with citizens arrest laws. But the Phuket volunteers just annoy farang. I see multiple crimes being committed by Thais every night on Bangla. I don't see the super cops apprehending anyone. Why is this? Because they are scared, they are pretenders. They want to assert their powers to farang, but chicken out when a Thai is involved. As my Dad always said 'you can dress crap up anyway you want son, but you can't make pavlova out of bull s**t'.

This simply is not true. You made multiple posts where you were of course highly critical of the volunteers in the very thread about the time when Wal and a couple of the Region 8 volunteers confronted the Thai iguana tout after the tout intentionally bumped them, flouting his illegal activity in front of them. I really think you don't have any idea what you think, but simply have problems with anyone in authority. You were even moaning about Aussie police in another thread recently.

I have seen volunteers step in just in time to physically extricate a drunk tourist acting all tough that was about to get a trouncing by several Thai's, I know of other occasions where foreign volunteers have arrested Thai's that have victimized a foreigner, including the paperwork, even gone hands on with Thai's. I think we can all agree that do so needs to be done prudently though, under the right conditions.

So who is in authority here? The TVP'S? Sorry to burst your bubble but they don't have any authority. All though I think you would like them to have some

I'll just use the real Thai Police if I have a problem. They are more than competent when I have had dealings with them

Edited by IrishIvan

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His role "had rightly ended before his arrest" then why is his picture still up on the Thai Police Volunteers website??? I mean like April was 9 months ago.

I'm just guessing, but I have a feeling he continued to work as a volunteer and just overlooked or didn't bother to renew his "license" earlier this year. I doubt admin is a particular strength for that kind of thing. Now that this has blown up, the RTP can legitimately claim that he hasn't been a volunteer for a while, when the reality is that he was working as normal up to his arrest.

Just speculation, but it does explain how come a number of people have seen him working, when the RTP state his license wasn't renewed.

Just saw your post. The RTP (Royal Thai Police) in Chalong where Garry was essentially freelancing are not connected to the Tourist Police in Phuket Town. The Tourist Police actually fall under the Sports and Tourism Ministry whereas the RTP fall under the Interior Ministry. That's why, for example, the Tourist Police cars have normal license plates, not police plates. The Tourist Police are the ones that said he wasn't renewed.

The Tourist Police say they didn't renew him, probably because they were hearing things about him like the rest of us, but he apparently continued working on his own with the RTP in Chalong. I know a lot of foreign volunteers are happy is gone. It's just sad he had to damage the reputation of all volunteers in the process.

So you heard about Halpin but didn't do anything. Makes you kinda guilty doesn't it?

I'm sorry, I don't understand what that means. Guilty how exactly? Of hearing rumors? What exactly is one supposed to do about that? Silly comment mate.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what that means. Guilty how exactly? Of hearing rumors? What exactly is one supposed to do about that? Silly comment mate.

Yeah right smile.pngsmile.png it was no secret he was standing over people. And you chose not to do anything about it as a tvp.

Be under no illusion the Phuket Tourist Police and the volunteers who worked with Halpin knew exactly what he was up to. If they didn't they should be made resign. I believe he was a topic of conversation on many occasions with the Hon Consuls with regards to shaking down tourists. He was brash and brazen because he thought he was a protected species. Many reported him but nothing was done. He lived a life of plenty with no apparent income? Prior to working with the Volunteers he barely scraped a living.

What crap.

Garry was part owner of a dive business in Chalong.

I do notknow if he is still involved, but presumes so.

Not utter crap. An informed response. He sold out his interest in the dive shop years ago. He got a better job shaking down tourists and dealing in death.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 9.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Just saw your post. The RTP (Royal Thai Police) in Chalong where Garry was essentially freelancing are not connected to the Tourist Police in Phuket Town. The Tourist Police actually fall under the Sports and Tourism Ministry whereas the RTP fall under the Interior Ministry. That's why, for example, the Tourist Police cars have normal license plates, not police plates. The Tourist Police are the ones that said he wasn't renewed.

The Tourist Police say they didn't renew him, probably because they were hearing things about him like the rest of us, but he apparently continued working on his own with the RTP in Chalong. I know a lot of foreign volunteers are happy is gone. It's just sad he had to damage the reputation of all volunteers in the process.

So you heard about Halpin but didn't do anything. Makes you kinda guilty doesn't it?

Yeah right smile.png:) it was no secret he was standing over people. And you chose not to do anything about it as a tvp.

You can't seem to get anything right.

A.) I never said nor had I ever heard he was standing over people. I said "I was hearing things about him". Specifically that he received compensation. Garry told Wal as much which Wal commented publicly on. I also knew the story about the failed business venture one commentor shared earlier in this thread. Nor did I have any idea that he was selling drugs, although I did make a comment to a friend not long ago that I thought Garry was either doing meth or had health issues because he was losing so much weight.

B.) I am not a TPV.

Edited by NomadJoe

So what's the story with Halpin? Any news? Any of his comrades gone up to see him at Phuket Provincial Prison?

Don't be surprised if this gets swept under the mat. Halpin has a lot of inside knowledge not only on his corrupt dealings but that of the police in Chalong. Some influential lawyers will also be concerned on where all this goes. In most countries Halpin could probably plea bargain but that's a non starter in Phuket. If this goes the distance which I doubt Halpin will release the corruption beast in Phuket. People have no idea of just how corrupt Phuket is. It seeps into every pore of the island.

• Like 1

So what's the story with Halpin? Any news? Any of his comrades gone up to see him at Phuket Provincial Prison?

Don't be surprised if this gets swept under the mat. Halpin has a lot of inside knowledge not only on his corrupt dealings but that of the police in Chalong. Some influential lawyers will also be concerned on where all this goes. In most countries Halpin could probably plea bargain but that's a non starter in Phuket. If this goes the distance which I doubt Halpin will release the corruption beast in Phuket. People have no idea of just how corrupt Phuket is. It seeps into every pore of the island.

The fact he got caught with that much heroin on his person, I don't think they can let it slide

The fact he got caught with that much heroin on his person, I don't think they can let it slide

The police let murders slide in Phuket.... You can buy 'justice' in Phuket with a justice system designed to protect the criminals.

Nip, in both this post and your previous one you can replace the word "Phuket" with the word "Thailand." It's no different here than they are throughout the Kingdom. Stop acting like it is.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

This topic is about Phuket Nomad And I disagree Phuket is a thiefdom. The cradle and hub of corruption in Thailand . Everywhere you turn you face corruption and justice is a figment of imagination. Yes Thailand is corrupt but Phuket stands alone.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 9.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This topic is about Phuket Nomad And I disagree Phuket is a thiefdom. The cradle and hub of corruption in Thailand . Everywhere you turn you face corruption and justice is a figment of imagination. Yes Thailand is corrupt but Phuket stands alone. Sent from my i-mobile IQ 9.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Pattya and Bangkok are worse.

• 2 weeks later...

My thoughts all along.

My thoughts all along.

No. He is not getting out of this.

PHUKET: The arrest of well-known former Tourist Police Volunteer Gary Halpin, and the very serious charge of selling the illegal narcotic ya ice (crystal methamphetamine), rocked the Phuket expat community this week

So much news in Thailand seems to ROCK!

My thoughts all along.

I assume they will use this guy as an example........

My thoughts all along.

How do you know this for sure ?

How do you know this for sure ?

well they just denied his bail for a start......

I hope you are right and justice is served but the cynic in me would think from the corrupt authorities point of view he can cause less trouble behind bars. This guy can blow Chalong police station apart if let loose in court. He had his finger in every illegal pie baked in the station. His knowledge will put most of the police officers therein in Phuket Provincial Prison. Should do but they will like many before them most likely be sent down south. His knowledge will also nail International Law Firms and Public Prosecutors even perhaps the Lawyers Council itself...

Edited by Nip

I would like to know what scams he was 'allegedly your honour' privvy too

I'm sure you would like to know what scams Halpin was involved in. Lets suffice to say that you can with confidence remove the word allegedly and I can assure you I'm not alone in being privy or even honored to know his wicked modus operandi. He was an ambulance chaser targeting foreign tourists in fear of the wrath of the Thai police and the mutable judicial system here. Halpin was the mister fixit who could for a fee make possible police charges go away. You may also recall the well publicized case of the South African tourist who for a payment of c 800,000 Baht was allowed flee the country after signing a statement Halpin advised him to sign. Halpin like many criminals lived a life of plenty with no apparent income.

• Like 1

I would like to know what scams he was 'allegedly your honour' privvy too

I'm sure you would like to know what scams Halpin was involved in. Lets suffice to say that you can with confidence remove the word allegedly and I can assure you I'm not alone in being privy or even honored to know his wicked modus operandi. He was an ambulance chaser targeting foreign tourists in fear of the wrath of the Thai police and the mutable judicial system here. Halpin was the mister fixit who could for a fee make possible police charges go away. You may also recall the well publicized case of the South African tourist who for a payment of c 800,000 Baht was allowed flee the country after signing a statement Halpin advised him to sign. Halpin like many criminals lived a life of plenty with no apparent income.

Lets not suffice it to say, why not just say. No reason past my own personal curiosity