Where to stay in Bangkok?

velly

Hi,

I am traveling to Bangkok on the 24th January and leaving around the 31st or 1st or so. I am currently looking at accommodation and have a few questions.

1. Where should I stay? I have been looking at trying to say sort of in between Khao San and Sukumvhit areas so I could take advantage of both...
2. Will the protests cause any extra congestion or problems in any particular area? Siam square? Democracy monument?
3. Is it better to wait until I get there, or closer to the date I get there to book? Is it possible that the protests / reduced tourism could provide a chance for bargain prices?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by velly

If you are willing to pay a moderate price ($50-$60,) it would be advisable to stay on Sukumvit. We are not allowed to recommend specific booking agencies on TV but if you send me a PM, I can give you the name of the one that I use. The prices can be a bit high on some sites so you'll need to shop around. You could go to the hotels directly and bargain for lower prices once you arrive but you'll need to drag your luggage with you or find somewhere to leave it. Also, depending on your arrival time, you may not feel like going from hotel to hotel after your flight. I expect that you'll be able to navigate around any demonstration areas. From a hotel on Sukumvit within walking distance of the sky train, all of Bangkok is easily accessible although you may need to take a metered taxi to locations not within walking distance of a sky train station.

well not much help on the hotel side, but I just stayed a week in Bangkok and just outside and never saw any protests, only by luck mind,lol and I did my first visit to khao san rd and weren't that impressed at all, went to a few shopping malls, chatuchat market, which I recommend highly, on the river and stuff, but I also found it quite easy to move about, moreso than the times I have stayed before, and I never got ripped off in the taxi`s,tuk tuk`s, or at all , was a real enjoyable time, and I will be back more often. never really got a great vibe from it before but this time totally good, I stayed soi 2 for a bit majestic grande, very nice but I never looked about for others

plenty of places on lower sukumvit for under 1,500 baht, great location, easy acces to skytrain, shopping, bars

Use booking.com

Have not been to KSR since the late 80's and even then hated it

Elections are Feb 2nd so no idea what will happen between now an than.

• Like 1

I thought lots of temples and attractions are in the Khao San / Riverside area?

I am looking for accommodation priced between 800 and 1400 baht. I am single traveler, so I'm looking for a nice looking good value hotel in a nice location with free wifi, apart from that it doesn't really matter to me.

Edited by velly

You can be pretty sure that one way or another, the demonstrations will continue to disrupt various areas of Bangkok at unpredictable times.

Hotels in Bangkok are way below their normal January levels because of this and you can be confident you will be able to walk-in and find a room well within your price range. When a situation like this occurs, walk in rates are often less than online rates, especially in the hotel intensive areas between Nana and Asok.

Not a bad idea to book your first night online just so you aren't walking around with your bags when looking for a good deal on a room.

Nowt wrong with KSR/Rambutri. Still appeals to backpackers, but is more middle-class nowadays, also appealing to Thais/families and with many boutique style guesthouses and some decent bars/eateries. If you stay there you are also close to old Bangkok and the river, though there is no mass transit of course. But don't be swayed by anyone's opinion here, see for yourself.

I can advise you 2 places, not expensive (enough for them your budget) and both are very convenience:

1st

Sukhumvit, Bang Chak station (E10)

a very nice and new hotel with affordable monthly price too. the name is Viva Garden.

I took there 3 times my guests and they were really satisfied so next time I will take them there too.

big full value pool, amateour gym, friendly and helpful staff, good breakfast, and the room like a true flat with kitchen (there have many variation, I guess around 6-7 about size, room numbers, etc.

2nd

Sukhumvit, On Nut station (E9)

nice but already not new hotel with affordable monthly price. the name is Green Bells.

before the opening of Viva Garden I took there my guests many times. They liked it.

the pool is small not really to swim, the rooms are 2-3 types, the breakfast is excellent. the room is room, not flat, and have to be careful cause not every room has window to the fresh air.

the Viva Garden is a bit more expensive, but I think this different is worth.

both of them in BTS station so you can go every-where fast and not so expensive.

I don't recommend at all the Nana area, I'm not rassist but those place full arab, indian and what-ever and they are very rough, and coming soon you have pray there on the floor on your knees direct to mekka.

you are late if you miss Kaoshan road feeling, the area looks like a big bazaar (like Rimini in IT, or Costa Brava in SP, etc ...) big mess and dirty with under IQ and grabby service staff.

about the political situation of BKK, the games are not over, but in upper Sukhumvit area is (Thong Lo, Ekkamai, Phra Kanong, On Nut, Bang Chak, etc) basically free from red or yellow flock of sheep .

rgds.

Edited by Loles

• 2 months later...